Vancouver BC S2000 Owners Meet fellow owners in the Canadian province of British Columbia.

Looking for an AP2

Old 04-24-2015, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for an AP2

Hi all,

I've been a lurker on s2ki for a while and always loved S2000s. I'm looking to purchase one this summer possibly and was wondering if anyone has dealt with the HondaWay in Abbotsford. They have quite a selection of s2000s; however, they all seem very overpriced. There's a 2008 AP2 with hardtop and 33k kms for $35000. It just seems way to much when I compare to say the states or its blue book value. Let me know what you guys think, any tips are appreciated!
Old 04-24-2015, 06:33 PM

Hi there, I haven't dealt with them personally. However like you mentioned (along with other members) their pricing is higher due to the low milage of their cars. Check out a couple of the comments in this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/111...a-clean-s2000/

Also, just today I saw a 2005 GPW with black/red interior for sale with 97K clicks. Desirable colour combo. http://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/cto/4994084201.html

Good luck with your search! It's tough to find a clean history one.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:53 PM

I remain happy with the dealings I've had with HondaWay. Although their prices are high, low mileage is becoming expensive in 2Ks and they have the luxury of sitting on the cars until they get what they want for them. Jennifer is good to deal with but firm on prices.

That GPW on Craigslist looks interesting, but I'm curious why the S2000 side badges are missing ... removed for cosmetic reasons or missing from damage repair? It's not bone stock but the mods are low-key and easily reversed if you prefer. I've been advised that bone stock cars hold (and increase) their value much better than modded cars.

It'll be a few years yet, but I'm looking forward to the day when our 2Ks are considered classics. Then the prices will ramp up. Now is the time to buy.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:49 PM

I wouldn't be too concerned about the missing side badges. Usually a body shop will try to put them back on, unless they are REALLY cheap. Now, a person should start worrying when they see side badges that read "2000S". That's usually a sign of a respray.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:54 PM

don't get me wrong, but a 2005 s2000 for 27,500. Wasn't there an 05 or 06 with the same color combo listed a few years ago for 25 or so? What makes this one special? just wondering.. I have been following s2000 prices for past 2 years but they seem to fluctuate so much.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by jeff.ap2
don't get me wrong, but a 2005 s2000 for 27,500. Wasn't there an 05 or 06 with the same color combo listed a few years ago for 25 or so? What makes this one special? just wondering.. I have been following s2000 prices for past 2 years but they seem to fluctuate so much.
Probably nothing makes this one any more special. But for whatever reason, s2k prices have been going up lately.

You could also ask the same question about aircooled Porsches. What makes a late 80s Carrera suddenly so special? Their prices were much lower even just a year ago.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:12 AM

These constant price fluctuations are interesting to follow. That's why I enjoy watching the "Chasing Classic Cars" and "What's My Car Worth" TV shows. You'll see surprises both upside and downside, depending on the whims of the market and the state of the economy. (I think some of those auctions are way over the top at times)

I haven't seen any 2Ks on any auction show (yet), so I assume it's much too early in the life of the car for it to make it into the 'classic' category. In addition, there were more than 110,000 2Ks manufactured, a *lot* more than some of the more sought-after cars, but as they increasingly disappear into scrap yards, we'll see a change in desirability.

Of course, for those who truly appreciate the car for the engineering masterpiece it is, it will always be desirable.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:43 AM

I would have to say that one of the things is that sellers are taking advantage of weak CAD. Half the s2k up here are from the states, but now picking on up down there suddenly got 20-25% more expensive. But then again I have no idea why s2k are so much cheaper in the states...
Old 04-26-2015, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Koko319
..... But then again I have no idea why s2k are so much cheaper in the states...
Well, according to Wikipedia, more than 66,000 2Ks were sold in the USA, so there's some weeding out to do over the next few years. That may be why prices there are still low.

And ... it's unfortunate that to the general public a true sports car from Honda seems like an oxymoron. Right or wrong, perception counts for a lot, and the unwashed masses see only MGBs, Miatas, Z4s, Boxters, Corvettes, etc.. There's a new sharper-looking Miata on the way, and it's inexpensive and likely to sell well even though it can't hold a candle to the 2K. Perception.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:44 PM

IMHO the prices of s2000's are staying so high because a real drivers car at a reasonable price is still not being built today. I'm sure you have seen all the comparison videos with s2000's and the BRZ and all the videos end the same way: the s2k has that little but more power that the BRZ so desperately needs.

I love my s2000 but To me honestly, it's not a fast car and there is no cheap easy way to make it fast while keeping it reliable. There are many many other cars that do not have this problem and are only marginally more expensive (most of which really don't have the same driving experience however).

I feel that although the s2000 is a perfect toy car in terms of fun factor, it is a car that needs more power to really compete with a lot of other cars and I think something will come along soon that will have the power to weight AND the drivers appeal / fun factor that we all want. When that happens the resale value of the s2000 will go the way of the miata.

When I see s2000's for over $20k (lettelone $30k) I shake my head. I mean you can easily build (or buy from the US) a car that will blow the s2000 out of the water in most every way for $20-30,000. For $30,000 you can get a tuned vette, 500hp sti, and build all kinds of amazing Japanese sports cars (rx7, supra, 300zx, etc). The only thing withstanding is it is hard to find a convertible that also is a drivers car outside of the s2000.

Just my 2c.

Quick Reply: Looking for an AP2