Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

S2000 Questions

Old 04-24-2015, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S2000 Questions

Ok guys, the prophecy is true. I have to have another S2000. After driving a few of them again, I miss the nimbleness of it and I'm in the market to purchase another one. But the question is, what kind of S2000 should I purchase? Here's my thoughts on each, and I'd love your input.

1. S2000 CR, Apex Blue on top of the list
- Appreciates the fastest
- Hardest to find
- I will modify it, and vinyl wrap it immediately. K24 swap to keep the factory drivetrain fresh so I can swap it back in when I'm done with the car a few years down the road.
- Will need some suspension
- Has factory hardtop, also known as best hardtop.

2. Cheap-ass beater S2000 (ap1/or 2)
- Won't cost much or ever be worth much
- Again, K24 it. I have a range of turbos I want to test on this and the CR K24 swap
- Have to buy hardtop
- Will need suspension
- Will need body reconditioning and/or paint
- Will either have to repair or replace the factory soft top for obvious reasons

3. Already modded S2000, AP2 (05 or newer)
- Don't have to do much to get it where I want, I've seen a few turbo ones that I'd change a few things here and there like throw in some ID2000s etc. But the basics are all there. Just put in a quality turbo, but obviously no K24 unless the F22 pops
- Could have to replace parts off the bat because of unscrupulous sellers
- Have to buy hardtop (most likely)
- Have to deal with people who don't understand that mods don't increase the value of the car nearly as much as they're thinking.
- Have to undo some mods that are there (gains me some money back I guess)

What I want to do with the S;
Drive the piss out of it. Vinyl wrap on any of them so I don't destroy the paint at the track. Honestly thinking a K24 with an EFR7163. Already have a K24a2 lying around, just would need to build it with some sleeves, headwork and slap a custom turbo manifold on it blah blah. Might use it as a platform to experiment with some other stuff like Xylene injection etc.
Bolt in cage. Need this for safety, but if I have a CR I can't modify it too heavily thus bolt in, which would ruin the value of it being a CR. Obviously weld in would be much better.

What I don't want to do with the S;
LS Swap it. Been in them, doesn't feel right. I really like how the K24 gives it that bit of torque it's missing, without completely liquifying the tires like the LS2 S I've drive does.
Have yet another 50+k Investment

There was this one Apex Blue CR for sale in Jersey, but the douchebag dealers that are selling it seriously sent me a PO for $35k for a 60k mile CR with an accident on the carfax. Clearly they don't want to play ball. I've seen some RYP CRs (worst in holding value) for 22k. I've seen a handful of modded ones that I would consider for the 25k range. There's a guy here on craigslist who wants 35k for his build which I'm really interested in, but not for 35k, and I even have to do stuff right off the bat.

What do you think guys?
Old 04-25-2015, 05:33 AM

I like door number 2. Dont like #1 because it would be a shame to potentially beat up a Cr. problem with #3 is the cost, and unknown wear factor.

Xylene sounds interesting, isnt that stuff corrosive as hell?
Old 04-25-2015, 06:32 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

First as a s2000 lover don't buy any pristine car, let alone a CR to modify and ruin. It's just not right! As you said yourself they are appreciating and hiding value, so why pay a premium if u don't even want a CR for what it is.

Option 2 or option 3 make the most sense so resale and rarity and premium price are not part of the equation. You like to modify, so buy a cheaper s2000 and save the money on mods!!
Old 04-25-2015, 07:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As everyone else has already stated, I would not go with option 1 because it's a CR and you just don't do that...

I like option 2 especially since you say you have the engine laying around. It'll give you options to find a better priced high mileage car and you can always sell the engine to pay for some of the swap.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by TheFobb
As everyone else has already stated, I would not go with option 1 because it's a CR and you just don't do that...

I like option 2 especially since you say you have the engine laying around. It'll give you options to find a better priced high mileage car and you can always sell the engine to pay for some of the swap.

I think option #1 should not even be an option if you are going to vinyl wrap the car because you'll never see the blue anyway

I think the safest way to consider #3 is if you knew the person who did all the upgrades and how the car was previously driven, which usually isn't possible. So like everyone else said option #2 sounds best.
Old 04-25-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Or you could not by an S2000 and save everyone the trouble.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by Brutus
I like door number 2. Dont like #1 because it would be a shame to potentially beat up a Cr. problem with #3 is the cost, and unknown wear factor.

Xylene sounds interesting, isnt that stuff corrosive as hell?
It's 132 octane, and has different atomization properties than methanol. Methanol is actually more corrosive, and I've always wanted to test this out.

Originally Posted by adrs2k
First as a s2000 lover don't buy any pristine car, let alone a CR to modify and ruin. It's just not right! As you said yourself they are appreciating and hiding value, so why pay a premium if u don't even want a CR for what it is.

Option 2 or option 3 make the most sense so resale and rarity and premium price are not part of the equation. You like to modify, so buy a cheaper s2000 and save the money on mods!!
I really really don't want to ruin the CR though. I love apex blue, but I'd wrap it specifically so I didn't ruin the paint from rock chips, debris etc.

Originally Posted by TheFobb

My only issue with 2 is I don't wanna have to dump a ton of money into it to "recondition" it so it doesn't look like a pile of crap.

Originally Posted by Feezy
Or you could not by an S2000 and save everyone the trouble.
I got it! I'll replace the S2000 badge with a miata and GT-R badge. That'll be ok right?
Old 04-25-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I'd look for a high mileage car with a clean body. It will be a lot easier to find an AP1. Maybe an 06+ Laguna blue would be a nice consolation as finding an Apex blue CR is going to be tough. Does the color really matter if you are wrapping the whole thing anyway?

When you say modded for option 3, does that mean already turbo? Did you want a project or something that is mostly done and ready to be driven as is?
Old 04-25-2015, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by 1nate7
I'd look for a high mileage car with a clean body. It will be a lot easier to find an AP1. Maybe an 06+ Laguna blue would be a nice consolation as finding an Apex blue CR is going to be tough. Does the color really matter if you are wrapping the whole thing anyway?

When you say modded for option 3, does that mean already turbo? Did you want a project or something that is mostly done and ready to be driven as is?

Either or for #3. Like I said I found a few ones that fit the criteria pretty well. I have such a collection of parts to throw at it (Id2000s, walbro 460s, a pile of turbos etc) that I'm certain I could make it how I wanted it without spending that much capital. As for the CR, no color doesn't matter as much. I've found some RYP CR's for $22k with pretty low mileage. I'd much rather have a RYP CR with a factory hardtop for $22 than a 05+ with similar miles and no hardtop at 17-19.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:35 PM

So if your willing to go route 1# Why not buy a used AP2 for 12-15K and put a load of that money you would have been willing to have put in that CR in to a cheaper model and just make it a monster? I know wraps well and a wrap a lone on a S2K is 2.500'sh and we all know engine work and so on is limited by your checkbook. When I was younger and built custom cars I came up with the best car that allowed me a huge influx of cash to spend on the car now not later. Later leads to issue's in life that lead to taking your money from the car to loss in interest in the car. You have all the cash now buy a cheaper AP2 and buy all the stuff for it now.

Having and idea without a plan is only a dream.

Quick Reply: S2000 Questions