UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

s2ki help needed

Old 04-25-2015, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2ki help needed

Hi guys

I bought my car near two months ago and ever since I bought it its had the same fault. Basically when driving in any gear but it does get worse the higher the gear. If below 2k the rear of the car produces a really really loud rattle/vibration I get that the car will be labouring at that point but the rest can't be normal can it?

It's even noticeable if you change into second at lowish revs and give it a bit of a bootful.

I've checked heat Shields and all is well, I've had a change of exhaust so it's not baffle related. It is very odd

Any help appreciated.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The experts will be along but could be a number of things

Tire pressures
Odd Tyre depths
Binding calipers
Wheel balance

Check the basics first to rule them out
Old 04-25-2015, 10:50 AM

Its not a wobble sort of thing its a physical vibration from the rear end of the car as if the diff were about to depart from the car, but its only low down the rev range, the rest of the time its all fine!

Changed all the above bar rear calipers but then like i say its not a wheel wobble.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:42 PM

I've not got my feet wet with the S2000 yet as I only recently bought it, but having some experience with mechanics generally, are you sure it's the rear and not clutch slipping, I only ask since you said you notice it more when you boot it.

Other than that, diff oil been changed? Are you using the right weight oil? So many options without hearing it myself to be fair, but start with the simple stuff and work up

Originally Posted by Sofaboy
Its not a wobble sort of thing its a physical vibration from the rear end of the car as if the diff were about to depart from the car, but its only low down the rev range, the rest of the time its all fine!

Changed all the above bar rear calipers but then like i say its not a wheel wobble.
Old 04-25-2015, 01:22 PM

Out of balance prop

Or worn drive shaft cups.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:19 PM

Diff oil changed already with redline fluid. Did it before and after

If it was propshaft or driveshaft cup surely they would do it at all revs?
Old 04-26-2015, 12:11 AM

Hi had the same issue with my 2001 when I brought it turned out to be clutch buzz, early mods known to suffer from it, research it. After a few months of living with it had major service and new clutch fitted by main stealer,sorted,took me a while to actually believe it was the problem, and ive been an engineer for 40yrs, a lot of vibration and noise from rear end, mine was effected in most of the rev range, could be it was more advanced than yours, anyhow include it in the list of possibles.

Hi guys

I bought my car near two months ago and ever since I bought it its had the same fault. Basically when driving in any gear but it does get worse the higher the gear. If below 2k the rear of the car produces a really really loud rattle/vibration I get that the car will be labouring at that point but the rest can't be normal can it?

It's even noticeable if you change into second at lowish revs and give it a bit of a bootful.

I've checked heat Shields and all is well, I've had a change of exhaust so it's not baffle related. It is very odd

Any help appreciated.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:33 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

You sure it's not the spare tyre retaining bolt that isn't tight enough? Also check your gear shift mechanism is bolted to the car and that the nylon bushings in the base of it aren't shot.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:08 AM

If it was propshaft or driveshaft cup surely they would do it at all revs?
No - they are road speed related not engine speed related
Old 04-26-2015, 08:15 AM

@greenman it won't do it in first at 15mph but will in 3rd at 15 as thats below 2000rpm

Cars also only done 32k

Quick Reply: s2ki help needed