UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Darren's 2003 MCB GT

Old 05-04-2015, 06:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Darren's 2003 MCB GT

Updated 18/07/2016

Just over 14 months since buying the car and I am finally able to drive it regularly and on decent roads. A move from central London to the middle of nowhere in Worcester helped! Work has been ongoing in dribs and drabs. A combo of money and time being the limiting factors really. Had a lot going on with the new house.

My plan to to keep the car as close to stock as is practicable and within reason, unmolested being the key word. The 17" wheels that came on it were off a newer S2000 but I prefer the look so they'll stay. The K&N under the bonnet came with the car so it'll stay on but I've got the original parts. I've no plans for a Turbo or Supercharging, wings or anything like that. I love the car just the way it is. My only goal is to sort out the niggles and enjoy the car for many years to come.

After the things I can do myself I'd also love to get the paintwork looked at properly. In a few places the clear coat is bubbled or peeling. Its also got 84,000 miles worth of chips on the bumper, bonnet and wings. Fortunately I live 2 minutes from Pershore Bodyshop who come highly recommended.

Completed list
To do list
  • Headlight restoration
  • Windscreen washer pump

Latest pic
Darren's 2003 MCB GT-ju8fvbg.jpg

Original OP 04/05/2015
Just arrived back in London with my Monte Carlo Blue 2003 GT! Very excited after a 100 mile drive back from Peterborough.

81k on the clock, some paint damage from stone chips as per usual and the alloys need a refurb, but apart from that it's great. Just had a newly blasted TCT installed this morning by John (Wobbly) the previous owner. I probably should have haggled a bit on the price but I'm happy so that's all that really matters.

Within 10 minutes of leaving his house I parked up in a petrol station and proceeded to spend 5 minutes trying to find out how to open the filler cap! A quick call to John and the issue was resolved.

On the way home I had my phone charging on a 2.1A adapter and the radio going, after about an hour or so I heard a slight click and the radio shut down and the charger stopped working and never came back. The windows still worked and the rest of the car was fine. Will have a look tomorrow.

Tomorrow I'll be changing the front pads that need doing, gone for Dixcel ES. I'll also have a good look over the rest of the car and make some notes on bits that need some love.

Insurance for me at 30, 7 years NCD on another car, SP30 a month ago and in a SE14 London postcode was £571 with Swiftcover. Sky wanted £750, Flux £2000 and Performance Direct £5000!

I know that where I am right now isn't the best place to enjoy it, but in a few months my fiancée and I move to Worcester and will be living practically on a farm, so lots of beautiful roads to enjoy!

Here she is a few weeks ago when I took for a test drive! Lots more pics to come once I can get at it with my camera.

Darren's 2003 MCB GT-qvnsqlw.png
Old 05-04-2015, 06:19 AM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Got into probs also with the petrol cap when i got mine,
stuck in a filling station and i felt very alone at that time of night
congrads on your new "S"
Old 05-04-2015, 06:30 AM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Best colour too. you gotta love Monte Carlo Blue...
Old 05-04-2015, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much did she set you back, if you don't mind me asking of course?
Old 05-04-2015, 07:15 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome along,

Fatbloke, those wheels look familiar.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:32 AM

Very nice and MCB is the best colour IMO, enjoy
Old 05-04-2015, 08:45 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by DBt85
On the way home I had my phone charging on a 2.1A adapter and the radio going, after about an hour or so I heard a slight click and the radio shut down and the charger stopped working and never came back. The windows still worked and the rest of the car was fine. Will have a look tomorrow.
You've blown the fuse, so pop in a spare and all will be well.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:46 AM

Properly sad to see my/your car away today, I can honestly say that's been the best car I've ever owned. Enjoy it
Old 05-04-2015, 10:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice one ! I think everyone did the fuel cap thing. I grabbed the manual out whilst sitting at shell.
Old 05-04-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks folks. Had a drive again tonight on the way to my parents in some light drizzle. After the way people talk I was expecting the car to jump into the shrubbery at every opportunity but it felt fine the entire time, though of course I wasn't being stupid.

Hugely clear that the car is better suited to decent roads than the mess of humps, holes, lights and constant 20mph zones that are all over London though.

Car still has the hard top on at the moment u til I can put it away, no major squeaks or anything that I've seen some reporting. Actually quite surprising how much headroom I feel I have considering I'm 6'1" and a fatty.

Will take a look at the fuse tomorrow and see what's what. Can't be popping fuses every time I want to charge my phone and listing to some tunes!

Quick Reply: Darren's 2003 MCB GT