Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Rusty Control Arms

Old 05-11-2015, 08:45 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Rusty Control Arms

Hey everyone,

My rear control arms are off the car atm, & they are rusty *surface rust, not falling apart rust*

I want to have them sandblasted, then apply some POR15, then paint them black.

What would you guys do instead? Powder coating is not an option for me.

Recommendations?
Old 05-11-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 214 Likes on 77 Posts

I'd imagine that treating them to Por15 is more than enough for them to last the life of the car.
I'd probably just hit em with a wire brush then spray with some chassis black paint.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:41 PM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm personally hesitant to powder coat structural items, unless you have someone who you absolutely trust is doing good low temp work. RE-heating metals doesn't help them.

I'd agree POR 15 and a good rattle can job should last a long time
Old 05-11-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine are the same way and I was contemplating pulling them off and cleaning them up with a wire brush and POR15 as well. But the real debate is doing all the bushings etc while they are off the car.
Old 05-11-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Por15 is the way to go! then heck plasti-dip(as it dries evenly and isn't a pain if you overspray) it flat black
Old 05-11-2015, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by S2Ko0o
Mine are the same way and I was contemplating pulling them off and cleaning them up with a wire brush and POR15 as well. But the real debate is doing all the bushings etc while they are off the car.
I have bushings to go in, I just gotta find a press, or use the one at work.. :/

I'm think I'm going to try this https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/426...-rust-removal/ first & take it from there w. epoxy coat, por15, or who knows.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by BlueBarchetta
I'm personally hesitant to powder coat structural items, unless you have someone who you absolutely trust is doing good low temp work. RE-heating metals doesn't help them.

I'd agree POR 15 and a good rattle can job should last a long time
I don't want to remove the ball joints, & I don't think the powdercoating will stand up to rock chips..
Old 05-11-2015, 05:49 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

POR-15 is all that is needed, IDK that you even need to do anything beyond the preparation included in the kit, that stuff will stick to anything and never come off, including your skin!

I did all of mine and the rear fender wells with a 4oz sample kit, a little bit goes a very long way. I even did mine on the car, very carefully with a small brush and taped stuff off.

Do NOT get it between your CV and hub or in any other sensitive areas like bushings.
Old 05-12-2015, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by bgoetz
POR-15 is all that is needed, IDK that you even need to do anything beyond the preparation included in the kit, that stuff will stick to anything and never come off, including your skin!

I did all of mine and the rear fender wells with a 4oz sample kit, a little bit goes a very long way. I even did mine on the car, very carefully with a small brush and taped stuff off.

Do NOT get it between your CV and hub or in any other sensitive areas like bushings.
How many coats did you apply? Do you have any photos of how they turned out?
Old 05-13-2015, 08:29 AM

Ok, so I picked up some Loctite Rust Dissolver from the Home Depot yesterday, it was about 7$ so I got two..
I started with a wire brush, which cleaned it up quit nice.. I think all I really needed was a wire brush & some wd40. Too late tho.

Using my only toothbrush, I put the stuff on for 15 min, & again for 20 min. I think it was too cold outside for it work.
It was about 50° last night. This stuff is a pretty pink..

So I tried it again, this time indoor, & left it on for an hour & a half
Results? sorta

Maybe Ill hit this one for another hour or so, & then I think its ready for paint.

Quick Reply: Rusty Control Arms