UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

De-cat Pipe 60mm to 70mm - Drone reduction?

Old 05-18-2015, 09:27 PM

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Have you seen a doctor ., mine was bloody awful the drone almost painful.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got a race manifold, unsilenced decat and stainless steel cat back exhaust and I get no drone at all.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:27 AM

S2kip, you state in your own build thread above that it drones between 2.5 and 3 k ! Which is. Exactly my point and seems to be the case with virtually all after markets exhausts just in the place in the rev range when your tiddling around .
Old 05-19-2015, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hookedonboost
Yeah I thought I could handle it but as a daily drive it just seems to much, the de-cat pipe helped compared to the stock cat as that was seriously loud drone, this is what made me think playing with the size of the de-cat might help! I did like my UK Mod standard system, I had a 44mm bypass and sounded great, I just wanted to change the look and save some weight versus the standard system. I knew power wasn't going to be increased but I just wanted to try to reduce the drone getting a new de-cat pipe.
I got My 70RS from Rob @ Sumo a little while after seeing your pics. I have to agree that it's damn loud without the bungs in. Did you get these with yours? I ran a few days with them in and thought it made a noticeable difference. We're off to Wales in the first week of June and I have the inserts ready to go in along with some earplugs for the motorway sections. I'll look a pillock but at least i'll retain my hearing!

My old HKS was very reasonable at around 70, the J's, though is a bit on the asbo side. It comes into it's own above 5.5k though and as the car isn't my daily i'm living with it. Also, at the noise test for Snetterton last month it was actually 3dB quieter than the hks system.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think no matter what you have on your gonna get that drone sound, cause i have full toda system. manifold torqie kun, the decat pipe,70mm cat back system, and yeah it drones at 3-4 range. lol
Old 05-19-2015, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by CHIPPO
S2kip, you state in your own build thread above that it drones between 2.5 and 3 k ! Which is. Exactly my point and seems to be the case with virtually all after markets exhausts just in the place in the rev range when your tiddling around .
That was with the OEM manifold and not long after the exhaust was fitted, can't say I've noticed it recently. Maybe a combination of the exhaust coking up and changing the manifold has solved it.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:42 PM

Well the HKS was bad with Spoon manifold , with a cat bypass, with a Berk HFC, and with or without bungs, crap!

My son is on I think his 3rd or 4th aftermarket they have all been drone Central .
Old 05-19-2015, 11:17 PM

so far, the invidia q300 has had the least drone on motorway sections. i fitted a decat and it went silent on motorways. no idea what theyve done to get it like that, but they have obviously spent some money on R+D, based on the fact its loud when you nail it.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobAp1
Originally Posted by hookedonboost' timestamp='1431957592' post='23616315
Yeah I thought I could handle it but as a daily drive it just seems to much, the de-cat pipe helped compared to the stock cat as that was seriously loud drone, this is what made me think playing with the size of the de-cat might help! I did like my UK Mod standard system, I had a 44mm bypass and sounded great, I just wanted to change the look and save some weight versus the standard system. I knew power wasn't going to be increased but I just wanted to try to reduce the drone getting a new de-cat pipe.
I got My 70RS from Rob @ Sumo a little while after seeing your pics. I have to agree that it's damn loud without the bungs in. Did you get these with yours? I ran a few days with them in and thought it made a noticeable difference. We're off to Wales in the first week of June and I have the inserts ready to go in along with some earplugs for the motorway sections. I'll look a pillock but at least i'll retain my hearing!

My old HKS was very reasonable at around 70, the J's, though is a bit on the asbo side. It comes into it's own above 5.5k though and as the car isn't my daily i'm living with it. Also, at the noise test for Snetterton last month it was actually 3dB quieter than the hks system.
Hi Rob,

Yeah I did get the bungs, I found they did bring the noise down, I also found power to be slightly down as well when fitted. Not tried just fitting the one bung thou!

I have always wondered what db level this exhaust is, would hate to go all the way to a trackday to get black flagged or refused entry for noise. I guess the tests are all around 6k so this is actually quieter than 4k

Are you still running the stock cat? I changed to the J's Racing 63.5mm de-cat pipe and this reduced some drone but still present and annoying, with hindsight I should have saved some cash and gone for a 70mm Berk de-cat!