UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Catch Can - is it worth paying for a more expensive one?

Old 05-19-2015, 01:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Catch Can - is it worth paying for a more expensive one?

Hi guys,

As part of my forth coming supercharger install I need a catch can - well was thinking of getting two actaully as per this example here:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/966..._hl__catch+can

There are so many to chose from and prices range widely from nice looking ebay catch cans to the Mishimoto which is best part of £300!!

Are they all pretty much the same thing? Only Mishimoto seem to talk about how well their catch can works, the rest just look pretty.

Whats the difference between a baffled Catch Can and a normal one?

What sizes would you recommend? I was thinking a 0.5L would be enough.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks
Anees
Old 05-19-2015, 04:40 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Most are just fancy bottles, you will need baffles to actually trap the oil.
Here is a really nice and well priced dual can kit http://www.saikoumichi.com/Stage0_S2000.htm
Not sure how well it would fit a rhd car though but it's probably not that hard to get it fitted.
Article/review of the kit http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...l-Control.aspx
Old 05-19-2015, 05:39 AM

Yeah I'm guessing the baffles stop the oil sloshing about.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:42 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexGJ248
Yeah I'm guessing the baffles stop the oil sloshing about.
Given that you're not trying to actually do anything with the trapped oil, why bother baffling it? I doubt it's going to work it's way back up the tube, and there certainly isn't enough to worry about the weight of it sloshing around!
Old 05-19-2015, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Given that you're not trying to actually do anything with the trapped oil, why bother baffling it? I doubt it's going to work it's way back up the tube, and there certainly isn't enough to worry about the weight of it sloshing around!
Apparently, and I'm quoting from their website,

'Internal baffle ensures no oil escapes during high-speed cornering'.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:33 AM

My understanding is The baffles are there to seperate the air from the oil and allow the oil to settle down rather than being flung about the can under pressure. Normally catch cans are vented to atmosphere, without a baffle the oil can be forced out the vent rather than settling in the can.

I will be using a baffled catch can set up on my car, hopefully not one for £300 though

Unless your on track cornering hard and working the engine very hard, a normal catch can will probably suffice.
Old 05-19-2015, 06:52 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Ah yes of course, it's vented to atmosphere. Spose that does impose a small risk of a small leak under high g. Minimal for road use, and I'd have thought not really an issue on track unless you use track tyres and the can becomes quite full. That is an educated guess though.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:13 AM

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts

Old 05-19-2015, 10:24 AM

Received 245 Likes on 211 Posts

I've used catch cans/tanks in various application in the mining industry over the years and we filled ours with wire wool, seemed to work as a baffle as good as any other method?
Old 05-19-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

I work quite alot on compressed air systems and we uses a variety of filters to stop water and moisture thats pumped out of the compressor going into the air receiver tank. I figure if your going to do something then you might as well do it properly and have some sort of filter capturing the fumes/oil and stopping it from getting through to the engine.

As much as Mishimoto products piss me off their oil catch can is going in the right direction in terms of design but the price is silly money.

You could experiment with wirewool/stainless steel mesh but if abit of that gets through to the engine then its going to be an expensive rebuild.

I have one of these but i need to get round to fitting it. Only downside is that its pretty small and you have to measure the level with a dipstick rather than sight glass.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADD-W1-Black...35b02a&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: Catch Can - is it worth paying for a more expensive one?