UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

help with wheels

Old 05-20-2015, 04:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with wheels

Hey guys im abit unsure when it comes to wheel sizes and what i need to buy size wise.
Im looking to get some new wheels for my s2000 i picked up sunday. The wheels are 17", The tyres on at the minute are front - 205/45/2r and the rear - 235/45/r17. What are the wheel sizes i should be looking at to replace them, the tyre size im happy with but would ideally like to bring the front ones out a touch more to fill the arch. Ive read stuff on here about the sizes but im still confused as hell
Old 05-20-2015, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Floppy's thread is a good place to start > https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/104...se-wheels-fit/

Depends what you're looking for and if you're prepared to do arch work etc to get them to fit?
Old 05-20-2015, 04:37 AM

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Jimmy have a read into wheel ofset as this is what determines how much the wheel sticks out or sunk in from the wheel mounting face

if you want the wheel to poke out a litte more you want a lower ofset wheel

See here this is just a very small and quick explanation but do some more reading on the subject
Old 05-20-2015, 05:50 AM

Thanks for the replies guys
With what im running on the back an arch roll will be required as driving over the larger potholes does cause tyre/arch contact but im happy to get them rolled. If im honest its all the numbers and letters wheel wise that confuse me i dont want to spend 800+ on something that wont fit :/
will using say a 5/10mil spacer work just to bring the fronts out so they are more flush with the arch. Ideally the front i want pretty much inline with the arch
thanks
Old 05-20-2015, 06:28 AM

Offset is measured as the distance between the wheel-hub mounting face and the center line of the wheel as measured from the inside to the outside. If the centr line of the wheel is in line with the mounting face then it would be et0. If the centre line of the wheel is further inboard then the mounting facethen it will be a positive figure, i.e et+40. The opposite applies for a wheel centre line that is outboard of the mounting face, so these are a negative offset, may be shown as et-40.

MY04+ wheels are as follows:
Front:
17" x 7.0", +55 offset, 215/45/R17 tyre
Rear:
17" x 8.5", +65 offset, 245/40/R17 tyre

If you rob the above info from Floppy's thread and we assume that you're running those oem sizes...

A +55mm offset on the front will need to be reduced to a lower number to get the wheel to "poke" out further. For the wheel to sit 10mm further out, for example; you'll need to look for an offset/et of +45

Try this link if you want to have a bit of a fiddle with some numbers

Hope this helps a bit!
Old 05-20-2015, 11:51 AM

Thanks for the help rob i shall check the link so when it comes to making a purchase on some new alloys, will i need two different sizes, one size for front and another for the back?
Old 05-21-2015, 12:04 AM

Some people run a square set up with the same width wheels all round, but as they're staggered from the factory i'd stick with that option so you don't end up with a dodgy front/rear grip balance. A popular set up seems to be 8j on the front with 9j on the rear. This will give you 225/235 section front tyres and 245/255 rears depending on how chunky you want to go.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by s2k_jimmyladonk
Thanks for the replies guys
With what im running on the back an arch roll will be required as driving over the larger potholes does cause tyre/arch contact but im happy to get them rolled. If im honest its all the numbers and letters wheel wise that confuse me i dont want to spend 800+ on something that wont fit :/
will using say a 5/10mil spacer work just to bring the fronts out so they are more flush with the arch. Ideally the front i want pretty much inline with the arch
thanks
If all you're looking for is filling the arches I'd say stick with the OEM wheels you have, assuming that's what you have (or buy some) and use 10-15mm spacers.

Then of course, you will no doubt want to drop the car to make it look right
Old 05-21-2015, 02:46 AM

Haha its already beEn dropped 30mm all round which feels comfy to drive but any input is appreciated. Its on rotas at the minute that it came on but ill be changing them asap! Ill try the spacers out on the front, will i need hub centric or can i use the flat ones? If someone could point me in the right direction to start a build thread as well that would be awesome. Apologies again, im new to both the forum and the s2000. Thanks for the help, you seem a good bunch ☺
Old 05-21-2015, 02:57 AM

Personally I'd go with hub centric if you're going anything more than 5mm.

Build thread is exactly the same as you've done with this thread. Just remember, we all like to see pics

Quick Reply: help with wheels