New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Tall S2000 owner mods?

Old 05-20-2015, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tall S2000 owner mods?

Hi folks,
The time has come for me to start seriously shopping for a roadster. After much consideration I've put an S2000 at the top of my list. Unfortunately, at 6'2" with long legs, my right knee hits the steering wheel just a bit.

I could use an aftermarket steering wheel and a spacer but this would eliminate the airbag which I'm not comfortable with.

I have found some posts regarding the Backyard Special lowered seat rails. These seem like a good option but I'm not sure if they will provide enough space to solve the problem.

I have also found custom made steering wheels (carbon fiber, D shape) which retain the factory airbag. These are extremely expensive.

Have I missed any good solutions in my searching? Are there any tall owners in New England who have made successful adjustments?

From a hopeful future S2000 owner, Thanks for any help!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I`m 6'1 with a 32" inseam - not sure if that qualifies my as long legged or not...

I started with the BYS rails (there are also buddy club rails for the stock seats, same thing).
I think it's a mixed blessing. I got about 3/4" lower, but it doesn't move the back of the seat down with it. This puts the backrest a little higher in relationship to the seat and (I think) makes it less comfortable. It's not bad for drives less than two hours, but after that I start getting sore.

The next level along this same line is a race seat on even lower rails. You can even go so far as removing the padding, but that's a serious compromise between leisurely cruiser and hard core track toy.

My concern has always been the distance from the top of my head to the roof, so I've never looked into steering wheels.
Personally, my knees clear the steering wheel just fine, but brush against the bottom of the steering column.

You're welcome to sit in mine sometime to check out the BYS rails - I`m in Granby, CT.
Old 05-20-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've sat in an s2000 with the bys rails and it actually does make a difference for leg room and head height... To me it was more comfortable, my knees didn't hit the radio door either anymore
Old 05-20-2015, 06:45 PM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I am 6'3 with BYS seat rail and it has worked well over the past few years. The next mod I'd consider which is much more expensive is a Recaro Pole Position with Buddy Club or similar rails, that will gain a lot more room with the added bonus of a great seat.
Old 05-21-2015, 11:29 AM

Thanks for the quick replies and good information!

I did find the thread about the DIY rail drop/foam trim/pound in the seat bottom. BYS rails seem like a much cleaner option if they give me the space.

NoDelta, thanks for the offer! I'm not far from you, I'll PM you.
Old 05-27-2015, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by NoDelta
I`m 6'1 with a 32" inseam - not sure if that qualifies my as long legged or not...

I started with the BYS rails (there are also buddy club rails for the stock seats, same thing).
I think it's a mixed blessing. I got about 3/4" lower, but it doesn't move the back of the seat down with it. This puts the backrest a little higher in relationship to the seat and (I think) makes it less comfortable. It's not bad for drives less than two hours, but after that I start getting sore.

The next level along this same line is a race seat on even lower rails. You can even go so far as removing the padding, but that's a serious compromise between leisurely cruiser and hard core track toy.

My concern has always been the distance from the top of my head to the roof, so I've never looked into steering wheels.
Personally, my knees clear the steering wheel just fine, but brush against the bottom of the steering column.

You're welcome to sit in mine sometime to check out the BYS rails - I`m in Granby, CT.
I have to wait two weeks as a new user to use PM. I'll message you when I can. Thanks again.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You can just email me if that's easier
my junk email is anotherskait@yahoo.com - I`ll reply from my real email account.

I`m traveling for the next week, but will be back in town 6/4 or 6/5 ish - maybe that weekend would work...