New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Living with an s2000 in Boston

Old 05-22-2015, 10:45 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts
Default Living with an s2000 in Boston

Long story short, my firm hinted that they might want me to move to Boston sometime towards the end of this year.

I was in Boston with the s2000 last month and the roads were beyond awful. Pot holes the size of cars.

I wanted to get a sense of how it was to live with an s2000 in Boston/surrounding areas.

The job will place me in Waltham, Ideally I'd like to stay somewhere in the Cambridge/Somerville area since Waltham isn't exactly the most exciting place on the planet.

1. How do you guys do it. Do you own two cars down there and have the S as a weekend warrior?
My budget for a place is somewhere in the 1500-2000$/month range if I were to move. I can't find a single place with a garage / two parking spots.

2. My car is significantly modified. -- Lowered, wheels, body work, supercharger, interior work etc. How safe is street parking for a car like that?
Old 05-23-2015, 04:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try to find a place outside of the Boston area, park your car and buy a daily beater for 2-3,000$, everybody will be opening they're doors into your car and parallel park they're bumpers onto your car
Old 05-23-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZfury
I would try to find a place outside of the Boston area, park your car and buy a daily beater for 2-3,000$, everybody will be opening they're doors into your car and parallel park they're bumpers onto your car
His car will go missing if its parked outside. His bumper and body is the least of his worries
Old 05-23-2015, 05:48 PM
Spotter

Originally Posted by AZfury
I already do have a beater, just not sure how that would work if I was street parking.

Originally Posted by Reasonable Doubt
His car will go missing if its parked outside. His bumper and body is the least of his worries
That's what I'm saying. If I were to keep the car there I'd need to be staying in a condo or something with some sort of private secured parking. I have an ignition kill switch and a fuel pump switch hidden in the car plus my steering wheel comes with me and I put a lock on it for what it's worth.

Basically sets things straight that I'm going to need a private spot if I plan on having the car.

Any suggestions on areas more affordable that won't put me too far out of work or catching the occasional hockey / basketball game?
Old 05-23-2015, 07:12 PM

You will need a garage and a 2nd car. There's a few people who use it and park on the street but it will definitely get beat up or stolen. I have a 07 and only have 17K miles on it, just a food for thought.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:14 AM

You definitely would need a private garage for a modified s2000. You can street park it but its asking for trouble. Keep the beater on the street and the s2000 in the garage.

You can live in various areas of the city and still have access to public transportation when you want to have some fun. www.mbta.com

Use the beater for the commute to work. Access to major routes is plentiful assuming you don't find a place completely out of the way.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:27 AM

If you want a garage and be in Cambridge you will probably need to boost your budget.
Old 05-26-2015, 06:31 AM
Spotter

Originally Posted by SHUG
If you want a garage and be in Cambridge you will probably need to boost your budget.
yeah I figured as much. Probably have to find a roommate or something.

I found a couple of condos with underground parking that might work. I have enough theft deterrents to have peace of mind when parked in a garage

Either way I think I have some time before I have to make the decision to move / actually do it. Hopefully rent prices fall a bit in the winter months
Old 05-26-2015, 07:01 AM

I would take a look in Medford, Quincy also, close to public transportation to downtown Boston, and you open yourself up to property that may have a garage/off street parking for your budget.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Spotter

Originally Posted by Prazision
I would take a look in Medford, Quincy also, close to public transportation to downtown Boston, and you open yourself up to property that may have a garage/off street parking for your budget.
The jobs based out of Waltham, but I'd be traveling for a good percentage of the time.

I was looking at Watertown and Belmont as potential options

Quick Reply: Living with an s2000 in Boston