Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Muffler questions

Old 05-23-2015, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Muffler questions

Guys, I got my S2000 in on Friday, and I had the unfortunate discovery that THIS THING HAS A DAMN INVIDIA N1 ON IT. Jesus christ I hate this exhaust. I had one on my last s2000 for about a day before since it was free dollars, and this new s2000 has an ASP header AND testpipe. It's just absolutely the most obnoxious vehicle I've ever been in. I'm told people can hear me getting on the highway from my house over half a mile away. Inside the house.

So here's the specifics;

The Invidia N1 I could just rip off and sell
I could just throw real mufflers on it and get rid of the fartcans
I could buy something
I could fabricate an exhaust from scratch

My question is, What kind of mufflers are appropriate? I'm somewhat worried that it'll drone to hell if I don't make the right choice. The other concern is all of the other exhausts I see on the market are either too small of diameter piping or mad jdm tyte pricing.

Stipulations
Reasonably priced otherwise I'll just make one with quality materials (Read, burns stainless 2 stage mufflers)
Mature quiet sounding, but deep
I'd prefer no fartcans

I have access to 3 and 4" titanium and have plenty spare. I could even just make a 4" straight titanium exhaust and be a gigantic dick, but I'm not really interested in that.
Old 05-23-2015, 05:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven622
I'm told people can hear me getting on the highway from my house over half a mile away. Inside the house.
LOL. Why does this exhaust even exist?

If you plan on staying supercharged then I wouldn't be as concerned about the piping diameter as I would with a turbo setup. I'd have to dig through the FI forum, but there have been documented cases of making more power on a 60mm exhaust vs 70mm exhaust with the increased psi.

I don't think this exhaust is worth modifying. Take it off and sell it dirt cheap to someone who doesn't know any better but it would be nice to warn them.

It seems like you have some fab skills, maybe a 3" custom would be the way to go. A good resonated mid pipe with quality mufflers should sound nice.

Other than the exhaust, how is the car? Did you buy sight unseen?
Old 05-23-2015, 06:05 PM

Hehehee...I feel your pain. I had the same problem. Bought my car with the Invidia and had to drive it home from Denver. Brutal. I love the Invidia at the track but painful on the street.

I bought a used stock exhaust from Alex here locally and wasn't too happy with that either; too quiet, too heavy and the car seemed a bit suffocated. I eventually used 1 stock muffler, cut it off then had a local muffler shop fabricate a pipe to connect where the Invidia mufflers would normally connect. Just deleted my cat as I recently hit a speed bump and it was rattling and buzzing. So I am now running the Invidia system with test pipe and one stock muffler. no droning, free flowing and I can converse with passengers and even hear my stereo. Track days and I want to hear it, two bolts and I make the change back to Invidia. Works for me.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:09 PM

The question is what mufflers? Also I'm not certain if I'm staying supercharged. I have to fix a couple things here and there before I decide that.

Also yeah sight unseen for the most part. I had it checked out beforehand and I'm gonna have to fix the clutch, it sticks at the floor. Might be the slave or master. Will check when I replace the line with a stainless one without the cdv. Also it has some ugly double pillar gauge cancer that needs to be pulled.

Oh and the oil block on the engine is leaking because of cheap fittings. In the first 24 hours of owning it I have installed the following in this order

SOS hood dampers
Subaru latheworks shift knob and adapter to put it on to take off the crappy blox shift knob
17x9+45 rpf1s with 255/40/17 yokos (it seriously had stock wheels with snow tires on it)
Okada coil packs
Reinstalled factory visors

Have to put on
Pwr rad with integrated oil cooler and mocal thermostat with a ptuning spal fan kit
Kw v3 inox
Prothane bushing kit
75a innovative mounts (need to do this soon the driver mount is shot)
Megan rollcenter adjuster front and rear
Bump steer kit front and rear

Likely will beef up the fuel system to run e85
Old 05-24-2015, 01:09 PM

So in order of price;

Q300
T1r dual Sparrow

It seems like the Q300 is the quietest and I wouldn't feel bad hacking on a larger resonator if I need to, but sounds raspy and has drone with headers and a straight test pipe

The Dual sparrow is expensive and it still sounds like it'd be pretty loud.

Is there anything I'm missing guys? I just want a quiet deep rumbly exhaust that's a bit louder at WOT.

I'm also looking for stock tips if anyone has a pair.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what it's worth, I had a supercharger kit and ran both a Fujitsubo Legalis R (63mm dual) and a T1R-70RT (70mm single). The Fujitsubo Legalis actually made more power and was much easier to live with. With that being said, if you're not sure if you're going to keep the supercharger set up or go turbo, then I would wait until you know for sure because if you go turbo you're going to want at least a 3in.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:00 PM

I.. actually like this kraftwerks kit. The torque is GREAT. I think with a little bit of massaging, such as fixing the piping for flow, adding a kamanari hood to get some cooler air into the intake, e85 and throwing on this high boost pulley that I have lying around... why I don't know when I'll pull it off, or if I even will.

All that being said, I think I'm going to do a 3.5" single custom

I need to call burns stainless tomorrow and see if they recommend using 2 6.25" 2 stage mufflers or just one.

Thinking a SM-350-450-17-SC and a SM-350-625-17-2S with a heimholtz resonator with the factory parameters will make for a quiet exhaust that will purr. I'm a little tempted to do 2 of those huge 6.25" mufflers instead, but we'll see what burns have to say.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:23 AM

Received 312 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven622
Thinking a SM-350-450-17-SC and a SM-350-625-17-2S with a heimholtz resonator with the factory parameters will make for a quiet exhaust that will purr. I'm a little tempted to do 2 of those huge 6.25" mufflers instead, but we'll see what burns have to say.
I'd say that idea is completely off base. Every single exhaust that I have seen with an OEM style factory Helmholtz resonator responds very poorly (in terms of sound) when the OEM catalytic converter goes missing. It's my understanding that the Helmholtz resonator works by canceling out specific frequencies in the sound spectrum, and it's specifically tuned (from OEM) with the expectation that the OEM catalytic converter is in place. That's part of the reason only a few aftermarket exhausts include one of those specific resonators, they just can't account for all the upstream differences (OEM Cat, 63/70mm HFC or Test Pipes) with one configuration. I'm not saying you can't make a Helmholtz resonator work, but it's going to involve a substantial amount of trial and error to make it work.

Also, it seems like you keep trying to reinvent the wheel whenever you decide to do something to your car. Why not go with something that works and is proven? I think you're car is an Ap2 right, why not just go with the Greddy SE. They have a new version with the Helmholtz resonator if you want to try it out, and it's pretty cheap as far as exhausts go. I think it runs like $1,200.
Old 05-27-2015, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Feezy
Originally Posted by Steven622' timestamp='1432623652' post='23624673
I'd say that idea is completely off base. Every single exhaust that I have seen with an OEM style factory Helmholtz resonator responds very poorly (in terms of sound) when the OEM catalytic converter goes missing. It's my understanding that the Helmholtz resonator works by canceling out specific frequencies in the sound spectrum, and it's specifically tuned (from OEM) with the expectation that the OEM catalytic converter is in place. That's part of the reason only a few aftermarket exhausts include one of those specific resonators, they just can't account for all the upstream differences (OEM Cat, 63/70mm HFC or Test Pipes) with one configuration. I'm not saying you can't make a Helmholtz resonator work, but it's going to involve a substantial amount of trial and error to make it work.

Also, it seems like you keep trying to reinvent the wheel whenever you decide to do something to your car. Why not go with something that works and is proven? I think you're car is an Ap2 right, why not just go with the Greddy SE. They have a new version with the Helmholtz resonator if you want to try it out, and it's pretty cheap as far as exhausts go. I think it runs like $1,200.
First, factory parameters != factory size. They had it right frequency wise, but it will not be the same size for obvious reasons.

As for the greddy se... Honestly, It's because I have a "real" problem with paying $1200 for a shitty exhaust with $100 mufflers on it when I can build one with vband flanges and magnaflows for half that cost and have more clearance. Additionally, the piping on that exhaust is only 2.75" and I'd like to pull out as much as I can out of this wonderful supercharger setup.

I am of the opinion that most S2000's sound terrible, and the exhaust setup on this one is by far the worst combination I've yet to hear. Adding an OEM sized heimholtz resonator to a non-OEM sized exhaust is bad times. You have to do the math and it's my job to do the due diligence to make it right if I'm going to build an exhaust.

I admit I love to build and engineer things and I go overboard some times for sure, however I think it's pretty astounding that I don't want to rip this supercharger off and throw a QSV EFR 7163 on it. I'm that impressed with it. I think with the right exhaust, fixing the intercooler piping, and some e85 this thing will be even more of a riot than it even is, all without making me and my neighbors deaf.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:43 PM

asndaiusndaisd. Just for grins I called evasive and they said they're out of stock on the t1r dual sparrows due to a redesign until the end of june. Looks like I will indeed build one.

I have such a hard time deciding to go dual or single.

Quick Reply: Muffler questions