Arizona S2000 Owners Arizona S2000 Owners. s2000arizona.com

Fuel pump?

Old 05-27-2015, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump?

My car started up but wouldn't stay on. Got harder and harder to start and now won't start. So would that be my fuel pump? Battery charge was good and volts. Don't think the starter would effect the car actually staying on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lou
Old 05-27-2015, 06:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lou-AP1
My car started up but wouldn't stay on. Got harder and harder to start and now won't start. So would that be my fuel pump? Battery charge was good and volts. Don't think the starter would effect the car actually staying on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Lou
Can you hear the fuel pump prime? Do you have someone who can cycle the key for you while you stick your ear in the trunk and listen for it? Have you checked for spark? Pull a coil pack out and try and short it to a bolt. If you see a spark you have spark. What does it sound like? Does it miss? Does it sputter?

Do you have a full tank of gas? Have you replaced the fuel pump recently? Fuel filters in tank can get clogged up.
Old 05-27-2015, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Steven622
Originally Posted by Lou-AP1' timestamp='1432757389' post='23626804
Thanks
Lou
Can you hear the fuel pump prime? Do you have someone who can cycle the key for you while you stick your ear in the trunk and listen for it? Have you checked for spark? Pull a coil pack out and try and short it to a bolt. If you see a spark you have spark. What does it sound like? Does it miss? Does it sputter?

Do you have a full tank of gas? Have you replaced the fuel pump recently? Fuel filters in tank can get clogged up.
You would be better off just coming by my house lol
Before I got it back, it would have trouble starting when I drove it for awhile and it got hot. Soon as I let it sit for a few minutes it would start up. I got it back from the body shop and they said it would start but wouldn't stay on. I could barely hear fuel pump prime. It sounded like it wanted to turn on but didn't turn on. Not even with a jump. But before that when I did get it started I had to keep my foot on the gas or it would die out.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Lou-AP1
Originally Posted by Steven622' timestamp='1432780979' post='23627231
[quote name='Lou-AP1' timestamp='1432757389' post='23626804']
Thanks
Lou

Before I got it back, it would have trouble starting when I drove it for awhile and it got hot. Soon as I let it sit for a few minutes it would start up. I got it back from the body shop and they said it would start but wouldn't stay on. I could barely hear fuel pump prime. It sounded like it wanted to turn on but didn't turn on. Not even with a jump. But before that when I did get it started I had to keep my foot on the gas or it would die out.
[/quote]

I wouldn't have time until Monday. Start like this: Find the relay that powers the fuel pump and test with a multimeter to make sure its getting energized. I found this handy guide:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/569...-pump-circuit/

If it is the pump, swap it out for a walbro or something. I'm sure you can find one local and if you're gonna rip out the pump you might as well replace it with something nicer (that is if you plan on modifying it down the road).
Old 05-28-2015, 12:13 PM

I think I have a stock fuel pump in the garage.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by Steven622
Originally Posted by Lou-AP1' timestamp='1432788441' post='23627331
[quote name='Steven622' timestamp='1432780979' post='23627231']
[quote name='Lou-AP1' timestamp='1432757389' post='23626804']
Thanks
Lou

[/quote]

I wouldn't have time until Monday. Start like this: Find the relay that powers the fuel pump and test with a multimeter to make sure its getting energized. I found this handy guide:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/569...-pump-circuit/

If it is the pump, swap it out for a walbro or something. I'm sure you can find one local and if you're gonna rip out the pump you might as well replace it with something nicer (that is if you plan on modifying it down the road).
[/quote]

I'm going to give it a shot right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-28-2015, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by BoostedH
I think I have a stock fuel pump in the garage.
Yea if it's in good condition I'm definitely going to be in contact if I find out it's the fuel pump. Thank you.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:42 PM

Anyone available in the west valley that could come by, i need help lol
Old 05-29-2015, 07:33 AM

I had a friend that was experiencing starting problems and occasional random misfire codes. After months of troubleshooting and testing different coil packs, he changed the fuel regulator. It is located on the top of the fuel rail towards the rear. This solved his problem.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:41 AM

^ also worth checking out, but if his pump isn't turning on... well.

Quick Reply: Fuel pump?