New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Simple maintenance at dealer?

Old 05-28-2015, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple maintenance at dealer?

Back when I owned my 01 I did all the fluid changes myself, or at meet ups. They were that common I never had to consider bringing the S in for anything small. I recall some had the opinion that Honda didn't know how to service their own cars. Used the wrong diff fluid, over torqued the drainage bolt, and some other things...

Is this still a common perception? I am busy as hell getting ready for a move and simply dont have time to change my own oil in my '05. I would like to think I can get an oil change done right.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:15 AM
IMP

What makes you think that things have changed, just because time has gone by?

--kC
Old 05-29-2015, 03:39 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Oil change? Any garage can do it easily with the Honda filter and washer and there's a 7500 mile interval on the AP2s (or at least my '06) so I doubt you're in any danger. Honda filter is important. Any 10w-30 oil works although most of us (I imagine) use expensive synthetics and change more often. Torquing the filter is vital but you can check it from topside.

Differential and gearbox oil change shouldn't take more than an hour under car. Remove the fill plug first (to be sure it comes out!).

Depending on your location I'll bet most Honda dealers haven't serviced an S2000 in years as they were last made 7 years ago and most are are AP1s which were last made 12 years ago. Certainly a good dealer will know what to do but "wrong fluid" posts pop up here periodically. I don't even see S2000s on the road here.

-- Chuck
Old 05-29-2015, 08:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I will chime in here . I am a tech at a local Honda Dealer and have been there for 15 years . I take great pride working on these cars and find it entertaining that these boards spred lots of miss information in regards to dealerships . They(the dealer) are not all bad and useless . It just takes finding the right dealer and a passionate person as myself to work on it . I work on several s2k members cars and have been doing so for years . Anyone of them will vouch for me . Hell one of my customers Ap1 has 270k on the clock . I service that old bomber every few months . Normally i don't get into these debates but i see this come up alot and figured why not .
Old 05-30-2015, 09:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with joes sled on this one, I also worked at a honda dealer for 8 years and serviced many s2k's also but I am no longer with them and pursued a biotech position. In my opinion, go to a dealer like where joes sled is at, atleast he knows what to do.
Old 05-31-2015, 10:17 AM

I almost always take my 2006 S2000 to the Honda dealership where I bought it. One of the techs always asks me to sell him the car and he takes good care of me (the car really). I bring my own filter and synthetic oil as well. I had a problem with the clutch a few years ago and the fact that I had regular maintenance done by them saved me a fortune. I think it's worth it. I trust them.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:16 PM

I figure the dealer is better than any in and out lube shop. I just remember the opinions of a few vocal individuals on dealers and S maintenance. I will either be going to Lundgren's in Auburn or Herb Chambers in Westborough. Probably Auburn.
Old 05-31-2015, 06:47 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I am going to have to jump on the take it to the dealer wagon. I too work at a Honda dealership and unless I am slammed, almost every s2000 comes to me. I guess it's because I own one, but most dealers will have one tech that prefers working on the "flagship" model. That will give him the advantage of knowing the car inside and out. Same thing when I was at Acura...one tech for the nsx.

I'm not saying there aren't slackers at the dealership, because there are. You just need to find a tech at your dealer that you like and request them.
Old 06-01-2015, 04:40 PM

Being a tech for 10 years I can rage about how people think we are a stealership/ over price. Button line is dealerships know the car, are trained on the car and are fully factory back on the car (in tools, parts, and knowlidge). Any Honda dealership can and will work on your S2000 and treat it with respect.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by SHUG
I figure the dealer is better than any in and out lube shop. I just remember the opinions of a few vocal individuals on dealers and S maintenance. I will either be going to Lundgren's in Auburn or Herb Chambers in Westborough. Probably Auburn.
Go to Auburn I believe AZfury is a tech there.

Quick Reply: Simple maintenance at dealer?