New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Simple maintenance at dealer?

Old 08-25-2015, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The problem I have with dealers is although there is always a highly trained, highly competent mechanic, there are also a lot of guys that don't know or don't care, or both. Which guy will you get? Especially if its an oil change. Unfortunately, there are a few ways for an oil change to go bad with these cars if you don't know. What is worse, if a dealer screws up, they always seem to try and blame the customer. They can really be bullies. Dealers also seem to have an unspoken rule that every car has to reach a preset bill amount. Seems like its around $1k for most. No matter what you bring it in for, they will find urgent things that are needed that add up to at least $1k. All dealers? No. Too many dealers? Yes.
I see your frustrations and I understand them, but on the 1000$ bill part, whatever it is they are recommending for you to do- ask to go look at the issue and ask how much of a priority it is that you do this, you don't have to do what they tell you that you need to do. On they're part they are just trying to cover there ass, they have to write down everything they can see that is wrong with the car because if you were just in for an oil change and they didn't noticed your balljoint was really bad and you drive away and the balljoint fails it's gonna be on them right? You get what I'm saying
Old 08-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by joes sled 2000
Originally Posted by jimcity21' timestamp='1435614239' post='23664770
[quote name='joes sled 2000' timestamp='1432916448' post='23629176']
I will chime in here . I am a tech at a local Honda Dealer and have been there for 15 years . I take great pride working on these cars and find it entertaining that these boards spred lots of miss information in regards to dealerships . They(the dealer) are not all bad and useless . It just takes finding the right dealer and a passionate person as myself to work on it . I work on several s2k members cars and have been doing so for years . Anyone of them will vouch for me . Hell one of my customers Ap1 has 270k on the clock . I service that old bomber every few months . Normally i don't get into these debates but i see this come up alot and figured why not .

Hey Joe sorry to bring up an old thread but do you still work at honda? just purchased a 2000 s2000 and need someone reliable to check it out. what shop do you work at? im near tiverton
Hello , yes i still work for the Honda dealer lol .It's Herb Chambers Honda of Seekonk .
[/quote]

ohh your the guy with the turbo'd s2000 at herb chambers? i bought my nfr 03 s2000 from there july 2014 and all the salesman kept saying was we have a tech with one of these turbo'd and he said this car is in tip top shape lol
Old 08-25-2015, 02:01 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Originally Posted by AZfury

I see your frustrations and I understand them, but on the 1000$ bill part, whatever it is they are recommending for you to do- ask to go look at the issue and ask how much of a priority it is that you do this, you don't have to do what they tell you that you need to do. On they're part they are just trying to cover there ass, they have to write down everything they can see that is wrong with the car because if you were just in for an oil change and they didn't noticed your balljoint was really bad and you drive away and the balljoint fails it's gonna be on them right? You get what I'm saying
I'm thinking more about the non car people that don't know any better. Dealer says they need it. They wouldn't know if they really do. A good independent shop would tell them if was a safety issue, if its something you could delay, or if its urgent and needs to he done now. Dealers typically won't tell you that. Just high pressure insisting you need it.

Seen way too many people taken advantage of by dealers in my time.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well that all boils down to the service advisor, there are some that are ruthless and some that are genuine...
Old 08-28-2015, 04:24 AM

Received 3,500 Likes on 2,367 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
The problem I have with dealers is although there is always a highly trained, highly competent mechanic, there are also a lot of guys that don't know or don't care, or both. Which guy will you get? Especially if its an oil change. Unfortunately, there are a few ways for an oil change to go bad with these cars if you don't know.

What is worse, if a dealer screws up, they always seem to try and blame the customer. They can really be bullies.

Dealers also seem to have an unspoken rule that every car has to reach a preset bill amount. Seems like its around $1k for most. No matter what you bring it in for, they will find urgent things that are needed that add up to at least $1k.

All dealers? No. Too many dealers? Yes.
If you think it is bad with an S2000, bring a older mercedes into the dealer.
I had an older E430 that i was passing on to my son.
service estimate was literally $10K with a lot of double dipping. i.e. labor for replacing springs and labor for replacing struts when it is the same operation for both.
Old 09-02-2015, 03:30 AM
IMP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
with a lot of double dipping. i.e. labor for replacing springs and labor for replacing struts when it is the same operation for both.
This is the biggest frustration I have with them. I've gotten into pissing matches over this exact thing with my old Tahoe.

"Shock removal is one hour, spring removal was another."
"What's the manual say for a spring removal?"
"Step X, remove shock... and that's an hour."
"What does it say for the spring?"
"Use spring compressor and remove top nut."
"And it takes an HOUR TO DO THAT?!?!?!"
"The book says charge an hour for spring removal, and an hour for the shock... see, it's right here in the manual, we have to remove the shock, which is an hour billable here *points* and spring is an hour... here *points*"

They don't get it, it's a racket.

--kC
Old 09-05-2015, 08:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dwayne_Fa5ias2k
Originally Posted by joes sled 2000' timestamp='1435892193' post='23668572
[quote name='jimcity21' timestamp='1435614239' post='23664770']
I will chime in here . I am a tech at a local Honda Dealer and have been there for 15 years . I take great pride working on these cars and find it entertaining that these boards spred lots of miss information in regards to dealerships . They(the dealer) are not all bad and useless . It just takes finding the right dealer and a passionate person as myself to work on it . I work on several s2k members cars and have been doing so for years . Anyone of them will vouch for me . Hell one of my customers Ap1 has 270k on the clock . I service that old bomber every few months . Normally i don't get into these debates but i see this come up alot and figured why not .

Hey Joe sorry to bring up an old thread but do you still work at honda? just purchased a 2000 s2000 and need someone reliable to check it out. what shop do you work at? im near tiverton
Hello , yes i still work for the Honda dealer lol .It's Herb Chambers Honda of Seekonk .
[/quote]

ohh your the guy with the turbo'd s2000 at herb chambers? i bought my nfr 03 s2000 from there july 2014 and all the salesman kept saying was we have a tech with one of these turbo'd and he said this car is in tip top shape lol
[/quote]Well , im not the tech with the turbo charged s2k . Mine is supercharged . There is no such thing as a "tip top shape Turbo s2k" . Never seen one. Always a shit show with a turbo on an s2k .
Old 09-06-2015, 06:23 AM
Community Organizer

Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by joes sled 2000
Originally Posted by Dwayne_Fa5ias2k' timestamp='1440528245' post='23726077
[quote name='joes sled 2000' timestamp='1435892193' post='23668572']
[quote name='jimcity21' timestamp='1435614239' post='23664770']

[/quote]

[/quote]Well , im not the tech with the turbo charged s2k . Mine is supercharged . There is no such thing as a "tip top shape Turbo s2k" . Never seen one. Always a shit show with a turbo on an s2k .
[/quote]

no he was saying the tech with the turbo s2000 said the s2000 i was buying was in tip top shape