Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska
View Poll Results: Should the requirement for front license plates be repealed in Washington State?
Yes
94.59%
No
2.70%
2.70%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

WA Initiative to REPEAL Front Plate Requirement

Old 06-01-2015, 10:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WA Initiative to REPEAL Front Plate Requirement

I grew up on WA and always loved the state. It took me 15 years and two great-paying jobs before I was able to find a satisfactory replacement career in the PNW. During that time, I had the pleasure of living in freedom-loving TX, along with two other less-is-more states. The one thing I enjoyed about these states is that I wasn't required to have a front license plate; I have been kicking around the idea of introducing a voter initiative in WA to rescind the requirement for the front plate, but need helpers to collect the signatures required to place the initiative on ballot. The single most obvious benefit would be the reduction of cost in plate production. This, by default, would result in a net tax increase to taxpayers (without an accompanying reduction in registration costs), but it would free up more money to be spent on other transportation needs. I imagine it would be opposed by law enforcement.

To this point, I have already secured interviews with two police department spokespeople and would love to interview them and write a story on the subject. I am looking for interest/help in obtaining legitimate, required signatures to either procure a vote in the State Legislature, or put it to a vote of the people. What do you think?

Current Law:

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.16A.200

Current Laws: Think you aren't breaking one of them?

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/dispo.aspx?Cite=46.16

Initiative process:

https://www.sos.wa.gov/elections/Initiatives-FAQ.aspx
Old 06-03-2015, 01:56 PM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Pretty much a slam dunk on this board.

Best of luck - I hope this makes it.
Old 06-05-2015, 04:46 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

The only thing I can think of that would have this shot down right away is all the camera crap they are putting on 405. If that stuff needs front plates for some reason this won't get far. I'd be all for it though. Never needed a front plate in AZ and hate I need one here.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:25 PM

I got a ticket for this yesterday ... $124. Same price as the one I got in about '92 in my TR7 convertible. On the one hand, it's a bullshit ticket. On the other, at least the price hasn't gone up in 20+ years.

I consider it a "beauty tax".
Old 06-11-2015, 09:17 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Yeah I actually thought it was way more than that but even $124 is steep since it is a BS law that solve zero problems.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Yeah I actually thought it was way more than that but even $124 is steep since it is a BS law that solve zero problems.
It is helping to solve the perpetual revenue problem of governments. That's the *real* reason they won't repeal it.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:20 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

In the 11 years ive been driving this car, I have never had a front plate on it, nor have I ever got a ticket. I pass by cops almost daily just in the small town i work. The closest I ever came was having a Sno county Sheriff yell out his window at me wile we were doing about 40mph, asking me where my plate was, i shrugged and gave him the thumbs up and he drove off haha, and then one other time from a Seattle parking attendant bitch that thought she would be cute by telling me about her power trip she could use if she wanted. Ive got my fair share of speeding tickets in the past however.
Old 06-14-2015, 10:26 AM

Like Junky, I had not put the front plate on my car since I bought it in 2009. For the Mt. Baker run, I decided to put it on, so I did it like this (numbers changed to protect the guilty):

[attachment=80928:20150614_FrontPlate.jpg]

I bent the top 1" of the plate forward so I could mount it to the underside of the grill opening. I also trimmed about 1/2" of the metal outside of the raised ridge to reduce the size somewhat.

I also think the law is for revenue only, no problems addressed. I drive across the 520 bridge, and the toll cameras have no problem billing me just using the rear plate.
Attached Thumbnails WA Initiative to REPEAL Front Plate Requirement-20150614_frontplate.jpg  
Old 11-16-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate that we have to run front license plate here in WA. I've never really had to do it since I was military and we're always moving around every 2-3 years. Now that I am making this my permanent home of resident I feel that the front plate doesn't play much of a roll besides the hov lanes and cameras all over the roads up here. I am still running with no plates and haven't had a bump or a problem with LEO yet. I guess it's all about location or how you drive to get yourself pulled over for a ticket? Lucky maybe? Lol I hope this can happen so that we don't have to drill holes in our bumper just to mount a plate.

Or just buy a license plate bracket where it can be mounted and stowed away when not in use or front plate needed? I've done a plate relocation before on the front bumper. Maybe a good solution for those that don't want to drill into bumper.

Any how I hope this front plate goes away lol.
Old 11-17-2015, 05:22 AM

Roscoe, there is no need to drill into our bumpers to mount a front plate...

Quick Reply: WA Initiative to REPEAL Front Plate Requirement