S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Bilstein PSS9 -vs- HKS GT IV

Old 06-13-2015, 09:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bilstein PSS9 -vs- HKS GT IV

So first off I am completely new to s2000's as I just bought a bone stock 04 AP2 and completely new to this forum.

I have read several reviews on both the Bilstein PSS9 and the HKS Hipermax GT IV... Is there anyone that has experienced both of these coilovers that can chime in on which is the best for what I want???

I do autocross for fun several time per year and the occasional track day, no serious competing. But I really like to just cruise the roads with the wife as well.

I'm looking for OEM like compliance/comfort with adjustability to handle the occasional autocross and track day. Any suggestions on which is better suited will be GREATLY appreciated.

Here is the new bone stock ride

Name:  fd5eb7eb4bdf5db6f8031b232c356611_zpsc8wngtsq.jpg
Views: 2753
Size:  568.1 KB
Old 06-14-2015, 09:04 AM

Anyone know which coilovers would be more comfortable on the street?
Old 06-15-2015, 10:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Coincidentally, I just went from PSS9's to IV SP's. I know theyre not the GT's but maybe I can give you some insight. The PSS9's I was on had the 9k swift upgrade front and rear vs the 16k SP's so thats is going to have a fairly large impact on the comparison versus what youre looking for but Ill add what I have experience with and you can take away what you feel is relevant. I autocrossed and daily drove the PSS9's for about 2-3 months with 4 events and the same for the HKS's. To give you an idea for my setup, Im on square 255/40 Z2 starspecs and 17x9's with upgraded FSB and pretty much stock everything else suspension wise. Typical STR class S2000. The Bilsteins, despite upgrading the springs and having a good amount of suspension travel, felt too soft up front even when setting the shocks to their stiffest. That being said, I was fairly quick on them. There was quite a bit of roll but I think that was the sacrifice for more grip. Im no suspension setup expert, its just what it felt like to me. Daily driving was fine. It felt like a pillowy cloud. I had just come off of D2 RS's so a brick wouldve felt like a better suspension. Now the HKS's. I immediately noticed the excellent matching of the shock to the spring. Despite the high spring rate, bumps and irregularities in the road were felt but not in a harsh way, if that makes sense. Places where Id normally make a wincing face, feels like a soft, slight bump. Although the PSS9's were great for daily, these felt only slightly stiffer and more confident. Where they really set themselves apart from the PSS9s is when I start to push the car at higher speed. It feels more steady and responsive to immediate input with little roll and quicker settling which is probably what makes them an outstanding track coilover. During autocross, the front shocks and spring rates coupled with an upgraded sway bar are amazing. Turn in is tight and the front feels very planted during long sweepers. The rear however is too stiff. I found myself too timid to lay into the throttle like I could with the PSS9s because the rear starts to step out on me and increasingly wants to swap ends as I give it more throttle. I can go into more detail but I think a balance would be the SP's up front as they are is fine but would soften the rear. Maybe to 10-11k. Im going to try the next autocross with no rear swaybar to see if that settles it down. If I had to choose again for just a straight autocross coilover, it would be pss's and get them revalved and upgraded by Guy Ankeny. You might have better luck in autox with GT's since theyre softer. Hope I could help some.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Afterfire, is there a particular reason you chose SP's vs the GT's?

OP, I'm currently in the same boat as you. Debating between those two coilovers but I will probably only track the car once or twice a year. Mine is my weekend/toy/project, but when I take her out on a drive, I really push it hard in the corners. I hear so much good about PSS9's and have first hand experience in a buddy's RX8, but seems like the majority of s2000 guys say that they're a little too soft for our cars. And I personally don't know a single person with Hipermax coilovers on their s2k. I do have a heavy bias towards HKS products though. They make me feel warm and special inside.

If it helps you any, on my first s2000 I had H&R full coilovers. They were an older model it seemed like, with non adjustable shocks. In my opinion, and for my intended use, the H&R's were perfect. The ride was not too far off from stock, just a bit stiffer and more responsive. I had a fat front sway bar, but I still felt like there was some body roll I could live without. It wasn't bad at all. I traveled with them a lot too through all sorts of crappy roads and they feel very comfortable. In hard cornering, I never felt like I had an issue but there was something about my setup at the time that did not inspire the same amount of confidence in my driving. Keep in mind, I am not a professional track driver or anything like that but that was just how I felt.

Happen to have any other coilovers on your list?
Old 06-18-2015, 11:38 AM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

The PSS9 spring rates are very similar to the CR rates so it's not like they're Cadillac soft. If your goal is a lot of track time with a square setup you will want stiffer sway bars, stiffer springs, and firmer damping. A car built for the track is not going to be very comfortable on the street. For the street and occasional track time the PSS9 are great, smooth and refined, more grip and better ride than stock.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:48 PM

This car will by no means be a track car. It's a street driver that will see 3-4 autocross events and maybe 3-4 track days per year. I really only want to do a typical STR setup that feels good on the street and can also handle the non-serious track day. I really wonder what the GT's are like and what some owners of those have to say about them
Old 06-18-2015, 09:41 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

There is another thread going on about coilovers in this price range. There is also the Ohlins DFV coil overs that come with 10kg/8kg springs, but are bit more expensive.

Net, a competitive STR is a bit more complex; STR is arguably the most competitive class (both number of entries and closeness of the competition) in autocross. On stock type tires, the stock suspension could be ok. If you are on more competition oriented tires, including the 200 treadwear used in STR( especially the 2015 RE71r and Rival S) they may prove a bit insufficient.

Also, in addition to springs STR cars use a larger front bar (some much stiffer) and often a smaller or no rear bar.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:59 AM

Hmmm. Maybe BS is the class I should go into then. Maybe just do koni yellows with stock springs and a front sway? I can put the coils back on for track and street if I need to. I have a lift and air so i wouldn't mind the extra work

Name:  CD0D489E-9154-4FB3-B1D3-D38C5BC326DC_zpstx3lgqvp.jpg
Views: 1752
Size:  169.1 KB
Old 06-19-2015, 06:35 AM

B/Street is certainly less expensive that STR. However, at least around here, the fields are a little smaller (but generally the second largest class). The big difference is B/Street has Corvettes; there are some tracks where an S2000 just can't match them. STR has Miatas and MR2 Spyders...which can be quick...some thing the 2016 Miata will be a class killer.

Lots of things are restricted in Street.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:35 AM

B/Street is certainly less expensive that STR. However, at least around here, the fields are a little smaller (but generally the second largest class). The big difference is B/Street has Corvettes; there are some tracks where an S2000 just can't match them. STR has Miatas and MR2 Spyders...which can be quick...some thing the 2016 Miata will be a class killer.

Lots of things are restricted in Street.

Quick Reply: Bilstein PSS9 -vs- HKS GT IV