UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Diamond cut wheel refurb

Old 06-24-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diamond cut wheel refurb

Hey guys,

I know there are some threads about this topic but I couldn't find anything up to date so here we go...

My 2002 diamond cut wheels are getting tired so I would love to hear from you about companies you've used and experiences you could share with me. Seems to be a lot a of options on the web but I've also figured a lot of the lacquering is not durable and starts pealing after a while...Also I find it a bit bizarre that some companies are just swapping wheels with pre-refurbed wheels, I'm not keen on this option to be honest...

So, who to go for, who is doing a good job and a reliable service? I live in South London by the way...

Thanks for your time and help!

Charlie
Old 06-24-2015, 01:17 PM

Pristine in milton keynes.

Flawless job. They CNC machine material off the rim to bring back the polished look. You also have the option to paint the non machined part of the rim in a different colour to standard, I went for anthracite. People will say don't bother that they will corrode again which is true, but I'll enjoy them until then and either get them done again or get them painted a solid colour.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine started to corode again after 6-10 months when I had them done at Pristine. They only option is to powder coat them but then you won't get the 'pop' of the original finish as the lacquer looks slightly milky.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:07 PM

To be fair mine haven't been done for 6 months yet but if they started getting the white worm corrosion tomorrow I'd still be glad I got them done, they look so much better than coated wheels to me. It was worth it to get rid of the kerbing alone.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had mine diamond cut at Pristine and they lasted years. Also used Platinum Alloys in Swindon with good results http://www.platinumwheelrefurb.com/
Old 06-25-2015, 01:22 AM

I used Perfection Alloys in Leicestershire.

Very good service and the people I dealt with understood and were sympathetic about what I wanted them to do or not to do when it came to looking after the car.

The wheels were flawless and looked far better than I expected them to. They also CNC machine them to get the diamond cut finish and they really were as good as new. They had a few problems with them (could go into details if you like), so had the car longer than they originally quoted, but they kept me updated and said that they wouldn't let me have the car back until they were happy with them and until they were perfect, as they knew I wouldn't be happy with them.

This was done nearly 2 years ago now and they still look very good. Yes, they've got a couple of chips on now as you'd expect, but the diamond cut finish is still as good as it was when they did the refurb. But to be fair, its a dry run car and is not used over the winter, so I'm giving them they're best chance to survive longer than most.

BUT, since then, I've heard a couple of people that I dealt with have left and now the service and workmanship seem to have gone downhill somewhat.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:07 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

If you can forget the diamond cut, I had mine done a couple of years ago they looked great but after 18 months of so they started to go. I'm having them done again soon painted and lacquered no diamond cut this time. I'm doing the centre caps myself as I got hold of some speed tape.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:34 AM
jsh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you go to Lepsons (Gillingham ) you'll find many finishes on display many as good as diamond cut and some better .

I quite fancy a shadow chrome finish but each to their own .

Having them re-diamond cut may not be a good idea as if they been done before then the wheels are slowly getting thinner/weaker with every cut and ,even today nobody has found a clear coat/lacquer that will actually stick to bear un-primed metal .
Old 06-25-2015, 02:45 AM

That's very true actually and a good point.

I was told that wheels only have 3 'lives' to play with before they become too thin/weak to be re-used.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:41 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by jsh
If you go to Lepsons (Gillingham ) you'll find many finishes on display many as good as diamond cut and some better . I quite fancy a shadow chrome finish but each to their own . Having them re-diamond cut may not be a good idea as if they been done before then the wheels are slowly getting thinner/weaker with every cut and ,even today nobody has found a clear coat/lacquer that will actually stick to bear un-primed metal .
Mine were acid dipped, primed, painted, faces diamond cut and lacquered by Lepsons 18 months ago and they have no issues so far. Would recommend them highly for workmanship and service.

Quick Reply: Diamond cut wheel refurb