S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Help with new built motor- do I need a tune?

Old 06-29-2015, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with new built motor- do I need a tune?

Hey guys, this coming weekend I'll be picking up my new motor for my car, had it built due to the bad Leakdown failure of my current one. It's all aftermarket forged internals, cp, bc, acl bearings, sleeved, full supertech valvetrain, etc.
Now, this motor is built to be boosted in the future, with a 10:1 comp ratio, and I'll be running it n/a, during the break in, and before I buy a turbo or supercharger setup for now, while paying off some Debt in this motor. It's one of the two cars I drive regularly. Realistically, it will probably be a year before I have the forced induction set up actually on the car.
My question is, being a built motor, with a 10:1 comp and a completely upgraded valvetrain and different parts, do I need to tune the car as is for now? It's a 2000, so I have one of the more rich running AP1 ecus. Only other mods are an Invidia q300, 70mm test pipe, and a ghetto rigged intake, which will be replaced with something better when the motor goes in (Comptech, k/n) If anything, I'm thinking running it as is will just cause it to run extremely rich, which is not dangerous, but inefficient. The guy building the motor for me said to tune it to be carefully "because all motors will run different".
What do you guys think? I don't need advice on how to do the actual break in itself, or what to do with that, I just am midly concerned now that I may need to have it tuned sooner than I thought. Funds are tight at this point, as I've started a new job recently, hence having to take a loan to have the motor finished. Which is why I say, realistically, it will be around a year before I have an actual FI set up for it.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If displacement didn't change from stock, and the compression ratio being lower than stock, you will be fine. Power will suck with the lower compression, but there's no way around that till you throw some boost at it.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 06Estukay
If displacement didn't change from stock, and the compression ratio being lower than stock, you will be fine. Power will suck with the lower compression, but there's no way around that till you throw some boost at it.
This