UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Caliper Pins

Old 06-30-2015, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Caliper Pins

I removed the rear brake calipers last weekend to give the brake assembly a good clean-up and make sure the caliper pins were moving freely. When I reassembled them I used a bit of copper ease on the pins, as I usually do, but was wondering if I should put anything on them at all, as it seems to cause a bit of hydraulic lock.

Also, what is the significance of the pin with the three flats on? The bores seem the same so why has one pin got them and the other not?
Old 06-30-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Mart
I removed the rear brake calipers last weekend to give the brake assembly a good clean-up and make sure the caliper pins were moving freely. When I reassembled them I used a bit of copper ease on the pins, as I usually do, but was wondering if I should put anything on them at all, as it seems to cause a bit of hydraulic lock.

Also, what is the significance of the pin with the three flats on? The bores seem the same so why has one pin got them and the other not?
as far as i am aware you should not be using copper grease, as that has a tendency to dry out and swell the rubber boots unless you clean and grease them very often.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:48 AM

The pins are meant to be different

See rear brakes at http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda...block_03=19247
Old 06-30-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No idea what the flats on the pin are for. You should a silicone grease to lubricate though.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:43 PM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Right, I did a load of reading a while back and finally discovered what the flats were for - to allow for heat expansion of the calipers. They need to be the "trailing" pin for the rotation of the wheel and one of the flats should face towards the other leading pin.

"See page 19-15 of the service manual if you have it for the fronts. the pin with the flat bits goes on the top.
Page 19-25 has the rears, where the pin with the flat bolts goes on the bottom."

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/112...on-slider-pins

Mintex Ceratec for the slider pin lube (or silicone as recommended), put a bit on the pin without boot fitted to the carrier, insert and rotate, pull out and wipe excess off to avoid getting the air spring / hydraulic effect. You might want also want burp the boot after locating the pin too.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:51 PM

Many thanks all for the replies and thanks Ben for the info on the pins. I do burp the boots. I have to put new discs on the front at the weekend so I guess I will be revisiting the rears as well.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:06 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

The flat pin is always the leading pin in the direction of forward rotation and the flat is to allow for pin expansion with it being the hotter of the two.

edit: just seen Bens post

It's not a well documented thing though - i had to google it when i first did mine back in 2009 - all of mine were incorrectly fitted by the main dealer i bought the car off.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the info guys, but do your post not contradict each other? Ben says trailing pin, fester leading?

Another question do you put anything on the ends of the pin boots to hold them?
Old 07-01-2015, 02:37 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

Go with the info here;
"See page 19-15 of the service manual if you have it for the fronts. the pin with the flat bits goes on the top.
Page 19-25 has the rears, where the pin with the flat bolts goes on the bottom."

...and nope the pin boots say put pretty well - although they are a bit famous for splitting when you take them off so might be worth making sure you can source some others. I've used Biggred and Brakes International/Budweg, both do the job just fine