S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Gas is Gas. Or is it?

Old 07-20-2015, 08:13 PM

Received 458 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
An interesting anecdote about gas mileage.

A number of years ago because I track my mpg so closely I noticed that I was getting significantly lower mileage from gas bought from one particular gas station. It was a name brand station so I assumed that the gas was of at least that brand's quality. As an experiment I brought the 4 2 1/2 gallon gas cans that I use for my garden tractor to the station. The cans were empty. Somehow I managed to put 12 1/2 gallons of gas into cans with only 10 gallons of capacity. (I was very careful to fill only up to the 2 1/2 gallon line.)

Looking at the pumps I noticed that the Department of Consumer Affairs stickers were not readable. I mentioned this to the attendant, but he played dumb. About 2 weeks later the station changed hands and new stickers appeared on the pumps. My next tankful there yielded gas mileage that was very close to the average mileage that I was getting from other stations.

Sometimes its not the gas.

I remember hearing a report in the media about a year ago, about a gas station owner in California that was busted for messing with the chip in the pump. They were smart enough to code the pump to provide exact amounts in five gallon increments. Knowing that is how the inspectors check the pumps. But, the enforcement group had so many complaints from consumers about pumping more gallons than the capacity of their gas tanks that they finally figured it out and busted the guy.

On the other hand, in New York many gas stations charge a different price for cash versus credit cards. My Nephew recently posted on Facebook about a gas station on Long Island where the owner was charging over a dollar a gallon more for credit card purchases than the cash price that he had advertised on his signage for cash. It is amazing what some people will do. He got busted and is NOW out of business.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:24 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

Why was he busted? Can't he charge more if you use a credit card? As long as his advertised price for each type of purchase was correct, he should be able to charge what he wants. (Even if only dumb ppl would pay it)
Old 07-21-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ethanol and methanol as a power source.

Many individuals believe that Ethanol or Methanol (E/M) fuels produce more power in internal combustion engines. Well, they do and they don’t.

To begin with for an equivalent amount of power E/M fuels require at least doubling of the volume of gasoline, E/Ms have a very slow burn rate, to be effective E/Ms/ require an advanced ignition lead, require a higher effective CR, and a high combustion/intake runner temperature in order to deliver any additional power. Given the aforementioned conditions an engine using pure E/M will deliver about a five to ten percent performance advantage over a naturally aspirated gasoline engine.

Viewing the negative aspects, E/M fuels have terrible atomization characteristics and it needs a hot combustion chamber and intake runners to promote firing. Many experience cold start issues using E/M. With excessive amounts of E/M fuels (at 2:1 ratio or greater over gasoline) cylinders are washed clean of any windage produced lubricants and lead to early ring failures. Bearings are also at risk due to an excessive corrosive blow-by that leads to oil contamination from the washed cylinders.

Ethanol additives, due to their slower burn rate and the additional volume needed for power will reduce gas mileage averages; E/M will though increase octane ratings. Gasoline producers add ethanol as an anti-knock agent – On the positive side it does help the environmental concerns a little…a very little. E/M has small amount of oxygen bearing attributes that helps with environmental concerns…again, a very little *mostly due to Nebraska’s and Kansas’s and Midwestern corn producing states lobbying*.

Note: Methanol is toxic regardless of any sanctioning not to mention its severe caustic qualities.

gary

Edit: typos
Old 07-21-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

today, I took my 30 year old Stihl chain saw in for some work and the first question the guy ask was what fuel did I use? I told him Shell premium and he said that was a lot better than the cheap stations, but not as good as Ethanol free gas. He said the people who use the cheap stations gas, keep him busy, he has 4 weed eaters wait for carb kits.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:35 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

Originally Posted by coop
today, I took my 30 year old Stihl chain saw in for some work and the first question the guy ask was what fuel did I use? I told him Shell premium and he said that was a lot better than the cheap stations, but not as good as Ethanol free gas. He said the people who use the cheap stations gas, keep him busy, he has 4 weed eaters wait for carb kits.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 4,951 Likes on 3,003 Posts

I found this article interesting

Look for the debate over raising the octane levels at U.S. gasoline pumps -- perhaps making 93 octane the new regular -- to get a lot louder between now and 2017.

Here's why: Automakers and suppliers are spending lavishly on product development to meet the government-mandated 54.5 mpg fleet fuel economy average in the 2025 model year.

They likely will need higher octane gasoline to get there.

Octane is a measurement of gasoline's resistance to ignite when compressed in an engine's cylinder. High octane can make a small engine produce more power. For example, if you fill the tank of a 2015 Ford Mustang equipped with the turbo four-cylinder engine with 93 octane premium, the horsepower is 310. But switch to 87 octane regular and the horsepower level drops. Ford won't say by how much, but a Ford Fusion loses 9 hp running on regular vs. premium.

In 2017 the EPA and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration plan to meet with automakers to review the 2025 model year fuel economy standards.
source: http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...autonews-tcity