Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Has pricing really gone this crazy in the past 12-ish months?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has pricing really gone this crazy in the past 12-ish months?

Ok I know this is at a high end dealer but still, am I missing something here? I am toying with the idea of selling and even if they got 15k for this that would seem high to me.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/ctd/5106964459.html

(In case the ad disappears, its a 2001, Silverstone (I think) black interior, 98k miles, 22,000 dollars at Park Place in Bellevue, looks super clean)
Old 07-10-2015, 01:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OMG...SMH... I hate s2000s more than ever. Park Place LTD is a higher end dealership, MBN.
Old 07-10-2015, 01:48 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Bahahahahah almost $22k for an 01 with nearly 100k miles? That place is always overpriced on their cars as their clientele usually don't worry so much about the price of what they are buying. The actual price for that car is under $15k in the real world. I mean it doesn't have a lip or a hardtop which would maybe make it worth $15k on the best day ever. Also the most common color combo. What a joke where the hell did they come up with that number? I think they are just shooting for the moon and hoping some idiot walks in and pays it.
Old 07-10-2015, 03:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dealerships man... That car is literally worth half of what they have it listed as, in my opinion. The market nowadays, even with some private party sellers, has risen to ridiculous prices. Lots of people are trying to sell their s2000s with 90k+ miles for 17-18,000 and they are definitely not worth that much.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Bahahahahah almost $22k for an 01 with nearly 100k miles? That place is always overpriced on their cars as their clientele usually don't worry so much about the price of what they are buying. The actual price for that car is under $15k in the real world. I mean it doesn't have a lip or a hardtop which would maybe make it worth $15k on the best day ever. Also the most common color combo. What a joke where the hell did they come up with that number? I think they are just shooting for the moon and hoping some idiot walks in and pays it.
I couldn't agree more! If it's in a fancy expensive neighborhood, it will have a fancy expensive price. This has been going on since the invention of the wheel.

For example, back around 2001 when I was looking to get one of these cars brand spank-in new, I happened onto a high-end Honda lot in Virginia. MSRP was around $32,XXX for this car back then. Invoice approx. $28,XXX. Same color, and interior. I walked up to finally see an S2000 up close and before I could mosey away, some hot shot wannabe 20-something sales boy started yammering about what a cool naturally aspirated new car it is. His starting price????? $47,000. No lie.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pricing has not changed dramatically in the last 12 months, I have seen some very good deals on some very nice and well kept S2000s. Some with modifications, some entirely stock, all with super low-average mileage, much lower than the mileage on this example.

Btw most of the good deals are to be had out of state, Seattle's market is a little higher priced than average. I picked mine up in Oregon, but some of the best deals I've seen have been in the middle or eastern half of the country. Unfortunately then the shipping price and taxes offset much of the good value, otherwise I'd have sold mine and picked up an AP2.
I saw a mint condition, well kept super low mileage GPW for sale for ~$18,000-$19,000 on s2ki. Unfortunately it was on the east coast and was snatched up in a matter of days. It had less than 15,000 miles. Also saw a supercharged AP2 with ~10,000 miles for $23,000. It also had an aftermarket *and OEM set of wheels/tires, if I had the money and found something local like that it would be a no brainer purchase.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I say bring it on! Nothing but good things for our car climbing in value. Like anything its worth what someone is willing to pay and scarcity in some fashion will bring the value of this car up in the future, whether its now or 5-15 years from now. Frankly i find it a little annoying that this car at any capacity can be had for less then 10-12k. Its worth much more to me, when you consider what the other platform choices are for that money.

But Park Place is no accurate reflection of local proper pricing, 22k asking for that specific car is above where we are currently. In 5-15 years from now, sure why not, maybe more, as long as we continue on the current market trajectory of nothing else at the price point that can deliver the same level of experience/performance, and less clean examples available. Its already got a hold on one point that will never change, which is its design timeline fell within a demographic of sports cars that were to be the last of a full expression of a drivers car. It was new/refined just enough to hold the test of time, wile maintaining the feel of a blissful analog driving experience. Nothing else because of current laws and technology will recreate what the S2000 has at any price point. Its the newest vintage car if you will. It just may take 10-20 more years before more enthusiast recognize this.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:52 AM

It does seem as though this area has fairly high prices for s2000s, I recently was looking for at them for a friend and browsed CL in neighboring states and there were definitely some deals to be had if you were willing to leave the immediate area. It makes very little sense to me, I mean I love my car but Seattle and the northwest in general isn't really the best area for a car that was only ever sold as a roadster.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't go for just S2000's when I was looking at used lower mileage WRX's it was even worse.
To me it makes sense sadly because of the higher amount of people here and people making more money on average.
The cost of living is fairly high here compared to some areas in the SE and middle of the country and especially rural areas.

What doesn't make sense to me though is when you can then pick up a brand new model with a warranty for just a little more money, and we are not talking about classics but cars that are 3-5 years old and used 20,000-50,000 miles. At that point why not just pay $3,000-5,000 more and get the brand new car that you can order in the color and options you want, etc. (obviously doesn't apply to s2000's anymore, but say the WRX).
Old 07-14-2015, 04:33 PM

Used WRX prices are absolutly insane, especially STI's. I can't even begin to understand it. 22-28k for a 2010 STI with 70k miles? You can get a 2015 base WRX for a hair over 25k.

Quick Reply: Has pricing really gone this crazy in the past 12-ish months?