UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

A Necessary Engine Rebuild

Old 07-26-2015, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Necessary Engine Rebuild

So in another thread, some of you may have seen that I managed to spin a rod bearing on cylinder 2 of my pretty much stock F20C AP1. I've already made a start so this first post is just to catch up with where I've got to.

After several months of deliberating what the next step should be, I decided to take the plunge and go for a stroker build, I got some quotes from the likes of TGM but I couldn't warrant the cost, and the plan for my S (when it became promoted to the weekend only car) was to have it as a project to build on over time. So I'm doing all the work myself.

My initial plan was to go for a Brian Crower 2.4 L kit, but I have also been told about the CNC Speedshop kit using the K24 crank, also the Spoon 2.2 stroker kit looked quite appealing. I also quite liked the idea of the KPro 4 EMS (my mate has this on his EP3 and it's a really nice system), but what with all the additional sensors etc. you need for our engines, it would have been a real nightmare.

First job was to remove the engine and check the extent of the damage before making any final decisions on what direction to go in, here's a few pics:

So as you can see, the head is is great shape, no damage at all. The crank is scored beyond repair and the block may get away with just a re-hone, but it's difficult to say - doing the fingernail test, it feels no worse than the others but it does look bad. Still need to measure the diameters and see if/how much ovalling there is to the bores. I forgot to get pics of the pistons, will upload them when I get a chance to snap the pics.

Ordered a crank pulley removal tool so should be able to get that and the timing chain cover off next weekend and see how the main bearings have held up.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:39 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

ouch, looks nasty
Old 07-26-2015, 06:55 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Love the PICs... best of luck on the venture!
Old 07-26-2015, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
ouch, looks nasty
It certainly sounded nasty when it went!
Old 07-26-2015, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by jayok
Love the PICs... best of luck on the venture!
Thanks mate, it's probably going to be slow but should be nice when it's all done.
Old 07-26-2015, 01:41 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Research very carefully.

Do NOT use Endyn / Urge.

Wadzii at CNC seems very knowledgeable and not heard anything bad about Inline Pro.

But I'd still stick to UK options and someone very experienced with F20 repairs / rebuilds.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:00 PM

Apart from the number 2 cylinder, your bores look good. If it passes the fingernail test I'm pretty sure a re hone will work without issue.

Nice work so far
Old 07-26-2015, 02:03 PM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Flipz
Originally Posted by Nottm_S2' timestamp='1437921546' post='23693276
ouch, looks nasty
It certainly sounded nasty when it went!
I hate the sound ofa knocking/rattling engine

Its akin to someone torturing a puppy
Old 07-27-2015, 01:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Research very carefully.

Do NOT use Endyn / Urge.

Wadzii at CNC seems very knowledgeable and not heard anything bad about Inline Pro.

But I'd still stick to UK options and someone very experienced with F20 repairs / rebuilds.
Or Kings Performance,if you decide to look for a sleeved block give Bernard a shout at Jjautowerks.

I suspect this is the start of a long list of high milage engines looking to get a rebuild.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:11 PM

Nice Pics man! I like the write up. Totally sucks that it happened, but it's a blessing and a curse...now you have an 'excuse' to buy the other goodies, right? Haha..
Keep up the posts. Will be awesome to see the Spoon motor in with a tune and see what she puts down.

Quick Reply: A Necessary Engine Rebuild