Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

Recommendations for mechanics in Portland?

Old 07-29-2015, 05:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Recommendations for mechanics in Portland?

Hello!

I took possession of a 2004 S2000 with 30k miles on it just a few days ago. I am not new to S2Ki...but it's been a good 7yrs or so since I owned my last S2000 (MY00). Anyway, I did all of my service back then but life is a little more hectic with kids around so I thought for this car I would actually take it to a mechanic for maintenance. I think the last few years of owning BMW's has made me lazy taking it into the dealer!

I hear Beaverton Honda being mentioned as a potentially good place to take the car. I just need a place to do the oil, diff, and transmission (possibly coolant flush and brake fluid flush). Again, I could do this myself if I re-purchased a jack and some stands, but for now I'd like to find someone trustworthy to take the car to.

Who would you recommend?

Search did not bring up many hits on this...maybe you guys all do your work at home? (like I should too, I know...)
Old 07-29-2015, 06:08 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome! Most of the owners in this area do there own work especially routine maintenance. However there are a few shops that I have dealt with and are good. Some have changed a little over the years.

Dealership wise: I would recommend Paul Nix. However he now works at Honda of Salem, so it may be a drive for you.

Private shops: AR Auto in Lake Oswego. Eddie is a great guy. I have had them work on my s2000 in the past and they have always provided great service, however a little expensive. Another shop is Track Forged in Portland (by Ikea), John (S2000 owner) and Seth (NSX owner) has done good work on my S2000. They did my turbo build when I was turbo.

I haven't been to either shop for awhile, so I will let others chime in. I had Paul Nix do my clutch replacement recently and he did a great job. He also works on other members NSX and I wouldn't hesitate to let him work on mine.

Hope this information is helpful.

Huy
Old 07-29-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm okay with Beaverton Honda. I've let them do routine service for me since I got my S2, what?, 3 1/2 years ago (can it really have been that long? Seems like yesterday). I don't let them wash my car or add washer fluid, and I go elsewhere for alignment and tire mounting and balancing, but I'm confident that they know what they're doing for routine service. After all, when it's all said and done, it's a Honda...
Old 07-29-2015, 06:58 PM

Thanks! I read the name Paul Nix in some previous threads on the Oregon forum. My folks live in Salem so that could work, I suppose. Do you (or anyone else) have his contact info? Not sure if he does work on the side still or I need to go to Honda Salem...

Originally Posted by S2k_RN
Welcome! Most of the owners in this area do there own work especially routine maintenance. However there are a few shops that I have dealt with and are good. Some have changed a little over the years.

Dealership wise: I would recommend Paul Nix. However he now works at Honda of Salem, so it may be a drive for you.

Private shops: AR Auto in Lake Oswego. Eddie is a great guy. I have had them work on my s2000 in the past and they have always provided great service, however a little expensive. Another shop is Track Forged in Portland (by Ikea), John (S2000 owner) and Seth (NSX owner) has done good work on my S2000. They did my turbo build when I was turbo.

I haven't been to either shop for awhile, so I will let others chime in. I had Paul Nix do my clutch replacement recently and he did a great job. He also works on other members NSX and I wouldn't hesitate to let him work on mine.

Hope this information is helpful.

Huy
Old 07-29-2015, 08:47 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

**YOU SHOULD COME OUT THIS WEEKEND FOR OUR GROUP DRIVE**(HERE)

Huy should have Paul's contact info... I have not heard many good things from Beaverton Honda in a good amount of years. Dean, I think yours is the most positive response I've heard in a while.

Paul is great. Also Ron Tonkin Acura in Beaverton is a much better option than Beaverton Honda, close to home but they are pretty busy lately. Ken I'm sure can attest. I've had many things done at Track Forged as well without issue although it has had some turn over as of late.

I've heard good things about AR as well.

-Ira
Old 07-29-2015, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to Paul Nix. He works on all my cars, including my earlier S2000 and now NSX.. He also does work on the side and if you need his contact still, you can PM me.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:03 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Mine always goes to Eddie at AR. As Huy said they are more expensive, but you can be guaranteed everything will be fixed and more.

Plus he used to race the S2000 and always has some valuable input.

My experiences, and that of a coworker whom has spent a considerable amount of money, with Track Forged have not been good.
Old 07-30-2015, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like you I use to do everything myself and have become very busy, so I just had my clutch done by trackforged about 500 miles ago and it has been a nightmare. John has always been a chill guy, but with their turnover and no one properly operating their shop, I would not recommend anyone going there. My clutch has major issues, I can't get anyone to pick up the phone or return a call. My texts to him just go ignored. So after just paying them to do it, I am doing it all over myself again tomorrow with the help of a friend.
Old 07-31-2015, 10:04 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions! Trying to PM Revs 9k but not able to for some reason.

Ok I will scratch Track Forged from her list.

I'll check out Beaverton Acura and see if j can get hold of others listed. Honestly the first thing I need to do are very simple but it'd be great to find someone trust worthy for inevitable bigger jobs to come!
Old 08-03-2015, 10:16 PM

Just an update I decided to just do these simple fluid changes on my own. Forgot how easy it is to work on this car! I'll keep these other folks in mind for more involved stuff.

I hope your drive was fun!

Quick Reply: Recommendations for mechanics in Portland?