Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Are two cars too much for one person?

Old 07-29-2015, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are two cars too much for one person?

I am always contemplating about purchasing new toys; however, I just sold my newly acquired Daytona 675 (motorcycle) because I felt like it was taking away enjoyment from the s2000... well that and the fact that I didn't feel like paying for it anymore. For those of you with multiple cars, do you feel like you get satisfaction out of each one and if you had the choice to sell all your vehicles for one monstrous vehicle would you? For example, would you rather have an Acura TL, a s2000, and a Toyota Tacoma; which adds up to $50,000 cash when sold, or a completely paid for 2013 Porsche Cayman S (or vehicle of your choice = to $50,000)
Old 07-29-2015, 06:18 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Thats basically what i did lol. at one point i had 5 cars.... Currently i have 3 and 1 for the company. Insurance does suck tho.

Also i'd rather have the '13 cayman s than those 3 cars.

But rather than a Gallardo/f430 + Crappy DD, I had a 1M, Exige, S2k, Volt. I sold the 1M tho b.c i drive to NYC often and than volt saves me time b.c it's a clean pass vehicle and i don't give a shit when it gets a ding/dent (happens often in NYC).

Love my current stable. IMO it's the best stable costing about $120k. I'm slowly going to upgrade each.

Upgrade the exige to an atom. The S2k to a Gallardo. The Volt to a Golf R. (it'll be awhile. other priorities right now unfortunately )
Old 07-29-2015, 06:40 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I have always had two cars since I got out of college, and I have a motorcycle as well. I like having two cars with one being a dedicated sports car and the other a daily that can handle Minnesota winters. Always like having one stick and one auto. But I find myself torn a bit lately.

I really enjoy the Bimmer and have driven the S2000 only about 2000 miles each of the last two years. Only 600 miles so far this year. I like the car but listed it for sale. The plan is either to get a Cayman or 4C, a used 911, or maybe the supposed mid engine Honda rumored for 2017.

Since my Honda is paid for and has only 40,000 miles on it, I could easily milk another 10 years out of it and it would only have 70,000 on it then. Or I could sell it and not buy a second car, just get a nicer sports sedan, and buy more often. The reason this is kind of a decent option is after having done a euro delivery trip, I'd like to get in a few more at least before my dirt nap, and not having the second car would allow me to do it every few years or so. That is real attractive too and I would still have the motorcycle.

I tweaked the tune on the SC'ed S and it has been so much fun lately that I am totally fine with a few more years with it at least if that is what happens. Then I would probably hit Europe when the next gen 3 series comes out.

But even though it costs a bit more, I do like the option of just walking out to the garage and saying "what do I feel like taking to work today?"

A friend of mine has an M3, a Jeep, a Bugatti replica, a 74 Camro vert, and a 76 Grand Prix. That is too many in my opinion unless you are a high buck collector. He really does not have time to drive them all, pays the insurance and also has 6 motorcycles. But he loves them and is always looking for more.

I really don't have the option of just a Cayman S only, it won't do a foot of snow, and not really what you want to park everywhere for fear of dings and vandalism, or take on a Home Depot run. Plus, if you put lots of miles on it, they depreciate fast. Better to have a daily and a Cayman.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:01 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

two cars. The S2000 is a fun DD (I ride bicycle to work 1-3 days/week). Other car is garage queen, taken out on nice sunny days.
Thinking about an NSX as 3rd car..........
Old 07-29-2015, 07:30 PM

Received 105 Likes on 81 Posts

Two cars is not enough for one person IMO. Especially if you have a need for a truck/tow vehicle for some reason.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:35 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Having two cars is great, typically one is the beater while the other is the garage queen/weekend driver. Wouldn't have it any other way
Old 07-29-2015, 07:46 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

I currently have 2 toy cars and 1 DD/tow rig. I've thought about going down to one toy car and a DD, but the STi and S2000 satisfy me in different ways. One is fun to rag out nearly all the time and track regularly, where the other has great get up and go torque, is quiet and comfortable. I have considered selling my STi and getting a low mileage 996 Turbo, or 997 Carrera S, but I like that I can get parts galore for the STi and a reasonable prices.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

If I own it, I'll drive it. Garage queens are cars I love to buy!

It really comes down to your priorities in life. If saving a massive nut matters, don't have a car payment and save.

I used to be that way, then some things in life happened and I realized I might not get that time in life. I walked out and dropped 90k on two cars. It has its down sized, like car payments which I never had prior. My insurance went down, new car credit WTF?

If I die in a few years my insurance pays everything off and my family is set. If I lose my job I have cash to ride out a while, plus wife works.

Personally I think life is too short to be stuck on any one car for too long. It's what I love, newer cars, purpose built and to flog the snot out of them on the track!

As for a beater, seems counter productive to drive a shitty car most of the time. I don't eat crappy food during the week to eat steak on the weekend.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree with the above posters. I have always had two cars since I graduated college and was one of the best decisions I have made. Being in california it makes sense to have an electric car as I can charge for free at work and also use the carpool lane.

As of right now I have my stupid over glorified golf cart (chevy spark EV) and my s2000. Looking to actually add a third car to the stable. Another useless two seat toy (R53 mini cooper)

I use the electric thing to go to the grocery store, my 6mi commute to work, to the gym etc etc. Trips that are necessary but don't want to put the s2000 in a crowded parking lot.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by evoq007
Being in california it makes sense to have an electric car as I can charge for free at work and also use the carpool lane.
I hate not having a "fun" DD, but this is exactly why i have a volt, and will probably always have some kind of electric car. The gas savings + carpool lane access saves sooo much time & money. Maintenance is also ridiculously cheap as well.

Quick Reply: Are two cars too much for one person?