S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Running OEM ecu with kpro internals

Old 08-08-2015, 05:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Running OEM ecu with kpro internals

I just completed my CNC speedshop f24 and swapped it in. All the sensors and nessesary kpro parts have been installed too. I talked to my tuner and he says I need to make sure the car is running before I bring it down to their shop. Can I plug the stock ecu back in just to let it idle? Will the engine run with all the cam and crank sensors not connected(they are different than ap1 sensors)? I also installed a full blown intake manifold so I deleted a bunch of unnecessary vaccuum hoses and sensors. Should I be worried about this or do I just put the rsx ecu in and start it up?

Keep in mind this is a fresh built motor and hasn't been started.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2015, 06:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cheddaboy
I just completed my CNC speedshop f24 and swapped it in. All the sensors and nessesary kpro parts have been installed too. I talked to my tuner and he says I need to make sure the car is running before I bring it down to their shop. Can I plug the stock ecu back in just to let it idle? Will the engine run with all the cam and crank sensors not connected(they are different than ap1 sensors)? I also installed a full blown intake manifold so I deleted a bunch of unnecessary vaccuum hoses and sensors. Should I be worried about this or do I just put the rsx ecu in and start it up?

Thanks
If you have everything installed for kpro why not just upload the basemap provided in kpro with 10-20% overall fuel added to the map? Do not plug in the stock ecu if everything for kpro is connected. If you're really worried as your tuner if it's ok to have your car towed to them instead.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:53 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Your car won't start with the OEM ECU since the crank and cam sensors aren't connected to it anymore

Ask your tuner for a map that will be good enough to baby it over to their shop. or just add 20% fuel to the 2.0 base map
Old 08-09-2015, 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
Originally Posted by cheddaboy' timestamp='1439083440' post='23708629

Thanks
If you have everything installed for kpro why not just upload the basemap provided in kpro with 10-20% overall fuel added to the map? Do not plug in the stock ecu if everything for kpro is connected. If you're really worried as your tuner if it's ok to have your car towed to them instead.

I do plan on towing it to them. The tuner wants me to make sure everything is running well with no leaks or issues. Im guessing its pretty easy to add 20% fuel? Now if I'm able to do that do I even need to tune the car anymore?? Not looking to squeeze out any extra power. Just need to put some miles on the motor and seal the rings. Really don't want to spend money on a tune when I'll be getting a retune for a boosted setup in a couple months.
Old 08-09-2015, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE' timestamp='1439087707' post='23708665
[quote name='cheddaboy' timestamp='1439083440' post='23708629']

Thanks

I do plan on towing it to them. The tuner wants me to make sure everything is running well with no leaks or issues. Im guessing its pretty easy to add 20% fuel? Now if I'm able to do that do I even need to tune the car anymore?? Not looking to squeeze out any extra power. Just need to put some miles on the motor and seal the rings. Really don't want to spend money on a tune when I'll be getting a retune for a boosted setup in a couple months.
[/quote]
Hook up your wideband. Connect kpro to kmanager, upload the AP1 s2000 basemap, go to parameters, go to fuel trim, look for overall fuel trim and type in 15%. Save calibration. Turn car on, then upload. Then start-up, once car is warm check far, and engine for leaks or other issues. Be sure your motor has oil and coolant.
Old 08-09-2015, 07:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE' timestamp='1439087707' post='23708665

Thanks

[/quote]

IMO that's a bad idea to drive it around on that tune for an extended period. How much did your engine build cost, and how much for a tune? is it worth risking the high $ motor build to save a few hundred on tuning? That's a decision only you can make, but if it were me, it is a very easy decision to go ahead and have it tuned properly.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:23 AM

Justinthecoastie thanks!! One more thing, since it's now stroked to 2.4L, would it matter if I run an ap1 or ap2 basemap? Since I would've adjusted the fuel in kmanager, can I still leave my rrfpr hooked up from the supercharger?

Habitforming yeah it was pricey. Not looking for a cheap way out, just thought maybe the tuner is doing exactly what you guys were telling me to do here lol.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:40 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Adjust the fuel in kmanager and remove the RRPR
Old 08-09-2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Originally Posted by cheddaboy' timestamp='1439120713' post='23708877
[quote name='JUSTINTHECOASTIE' timestamp='1439087707' post='23708665']

Thanks

[/quote]

IMO that's a bad idea to drive it around on that tune for an extended period. How much did your engine build cost, and how much for a tune? is it worth risking the high $ motor build to save a few hundred on tuning? That's a decision only you can make, but if it were me, it is a very easy decision to go ahead and have it tuned properly.
[/quote]
My suggestion isn't for driving it around only to start-up to check that the motor will run at idle. OP, in the calibrations there is only 1 usable map for 00-05 2000s which is the AP1 map. As stated, you can remove your RRFPR. Understand that my suggestions are only for the start-up of your motor to be sure that it at least starts, doesn't leak oil and has a functioning cooling system. After your check, have it towed Good luck!
Old 08-09-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
Originally Posted by Habitforming' timestamp='1439135517' post='23709005
[quote name='cheddaboy' timestamp='1439120713' post='23708877']
[quote name='JUSTINTHECOASTIE' timestamp='1439087707' post='23708665']

Thanks

[/quote]

[/quote]
My suggestion isn't for driving it around only to start-up to check that the motor will run at idle. OP, in the calibrations there is only 1 usable map for 00-05 2000s which is the AP1 map. As stated, you can remove your RRFPR. Understand that my suggestions are only for the start-up of your motor to be sure that it at least starts, doesn't leak oil and has a functioning cooling system. After your check, have it towed Good luck!
[/quote]

Yep, roger that. Was just reinforcing that point.

Quick Reply: Running OEM ecu with kpro internals