S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Ohlins DFV review

Old 08-10-2015, 11:45 AM

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Ohlins DFV review

Gotta say #1, outstanding customer service. Had a message within 10 mins of UPS dropping them off asking how they looked. PM's asking how the install went, and how the first event went. Top notch. Physically they look stellar. What surprised me most compared to the AST's that were coming off was the weight. The Ohlins I can only assume are aluminum bodies and weight about half that of the steel body shocks I pulled off. I removed the AST's not because I was unhappy with them but more because I drove a car with Ohlins DFV's on it and very much liked it and I had a similar feeling after the install. Now I made other changes to the car at the same time so I can't give a comparison on lap time between the two, but my spring rates are almost the same for right now, and the autocross times compared to other top level drivers at events 3 weeks apart I did extend the gap by .6 on a 30 second course (however this includes a rear sway bar change). Car felt more controlled over bumps, I'm going to say they are easily on par with the nearly $5000 AST's I removed. I'll keep an update going as I get more events on them. But so far I'm impressed. I should mention that the car took FTD at the event by over a second with some heavy hitters there.
Old 08-10-2015, 12:10 PM

Received 53 Likes on 42 Posts

Nice to hear it. I wanna see what they do at Sebring.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Im curious to see how you have them set up and will adjust at Sebring. Should be fun comparing setups and times even though ill be the slowest in the group.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:01 PM

Well I finally got the car back together and got it on track. VERY impressed with the Ohlins. Car was much easier to drive then how it's been in the past. It felt a wee bit soft so I'm going to make some changes for that. I'd like to run a bit more front bar (sanner on soft). Urge has been fantastic for support replying extremely quickly to questions and thoughts. Very happy I made this purchase. I plan to run a shorter spring and a helper spring in the rear so I can encourage the inside rear tire to be pushed down on the ground. It felt like it was lifting the inside rear on turn in a bit. But other then that very very impressed with them.
Old 11-20-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

What spring rate are you running?
Old 11-20-2015, 06:29 PM

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Do you think the helper spring will solve your issue? ^^x2
Old 11-22-2015, 02:17 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

I don't see how a shorter main spring + helper is going to help anything. All the helper spring is going to do is allow you to go lower with a shorter spring. If the wheel isn't getting 'pushed down', adjust the damper (or balance the car out with springs/sways/alignment). The helper is there to fill a gap and won't provide and 'push' as you're describing.

I have a shorter spring with helper to be able to get the car lower in the rear, but that's all it's doing.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by andrewhake
What spring rate are you running?
I'm running the Upgraded rates.

My thought on the helper is right now when the car sits the ground it's sitting at about 3/4 inch compression of the shock. Since the spring is taught on the shock that means once the car rolls more then that amount it's going to lift the inside tire with no resistance since the shock will be at full extension. I'm thinking use the helper spring to put the shock further into it's compression travel when sitting static. It will reduce overall travel and thats the downside.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:31 AM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

You will also have no significant spring pressure to further push the shock down when unloaded.
Old 11-24-2015, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by yamahaSHO
You will also have no significant spring pressure to further push the shock down when unloaded.
Thats why I was thinking a tender spring or something with a bit more rate then the helper. I want something that's full compressed when sitting on the ground but still carries some rate.

Quick Reply: Ohlins DFV review