UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Smaller things to start with to get the most out of it

Old 08-19-2015, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smaller things to start with to get the most out of it

So basically i just got new tyres (Toyo Proxie T1R's) and brakes (MTEC Discs w/ EBC Yellowstuff pads) and the bug has bitten me a bit. I don't have bundles of cash to chuck at the car but what are some things i could do that would give me the most noticeable gain/feel on the car?

I was thinking a set of coilovers next or an Intake/Full exhaust system but not sure what to go for that would give me the most noticeable difference while driving!
Old 08-19-2015, 04:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on what you're after, if you're just after a nice increase in noise then removing the airbox lid will give you the same sort of noise as an intake system for free.

If you're going for handling, coilovers make a huge difference and make a nice change to the look of the car you can probably see from many of the build threads on here.

Personnaly I would go with coilovers so that you can enjoy the car through the corners get it looking nice Meister Rs are a popular choice on here for many folks.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:47 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Don't forget ARBs. They'll reduce your roll without swapping you coilovers, thus making your car corner flatter and change direction more quickly.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:51 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Do some more advanced driving courses/track days in addition to the Car Limits day you've just done. Learn to get the most of what you have before messing about with the car itself.

Buy some better tyres, too.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by MattyH
It depends on what you're after, if you're just after a nice increase in noise then removing the airbox lid will give you the same sort of noise as an intake system for free.

If you're going for handling, coilovers make a huge difference and make a nice change to the look of the car you can probably see from many of the build threads on here.

Personnaly I would go with coilovers so that you can enjoy the car through the corners get it looking nice Meister Rs are a popular choice on here for many folks.
I did have the airbox removed but towards the end of my car limits day the 1st gear was really bogged down until it hit VTEC not sure if this would be anything to do with having that remove, i've had it on since.

I would like the coilovers for looks and the handling upgrade. I do think at the moment i'd like something to help with the straight line but i don't think there is anything viable for a decent price that would beef that up a lot so focusing on the handling probably would be a more wise thing to do.

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Don't forget ARBs. They'll reduce your roll without swapping you coilovers, thus making your car corner flatter and change direction more quickly.
The car to me feels like it has no roll as it is. Would these still make a noticeable difference as it's just me who feels like the car has no roll?

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Do some more advanced driving courses/track days in addition to the Car Limits day you've just done. Learn to get the most of what you have before messing about with the car itself.

Buy some better tyres, too.
I do have another car limits day booked then after that i will be looker into more courses building up to a track day eventually

I've always used Toyo Proxie T1R's in the last 6-7 years and never had close to a problem with them, why would you say change them?
Old 08-19-2015, 04:59 AM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

Put a decent exhaust on it

The lid off sounds horrid to me
Old 08-19-2015, 05:05 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by DanGamble
I do have another car limits day booked then after that i will be looker into more courses building up to a track day eventually

I've always used Toyo Proxie T1R's in the last 6-7 years and never had close to a problem with them, why would you say change them?
Soggy sidewalls. You'll get better response from other tyres - have a look in the Tyre Thread for some recommendations.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As you know gains are big bucks and like you, I also think it handles very well as it is. Cheap'ish mods will therefore mainly be aesthetics and a decent sound. (which most agree was lacking in the S)

My suggestions would be, for sound the exhaust mod, decat and induction kit. (decat will make it a little more responsive too) For looks maybe springs as apposed to coilovers as they are a lot cheaper.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:14 AM

I did have a look through that thread and was gonna go with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 but they didn't seem to do them in my size so stuck with what i know. When it comes to my next swap i'll post asking for suggestions i guess. Just hard to get away from what you know
Old 08-19-2015, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by kw_21
As you know gains are big bucks and like you, I also think it handles very well as it is. Cheap'ish mods will therefore mainly be aesthetics and a decent sound. (which most agree was lacking in the S)

My suggestions would be, for sound the exhaust mod, decat and induction kit. (decat will make it a little more responsive too) For looks maybe springs as apposed to coilovers as they are a lot cheaper.
Yea after doing a bit of looking around it does seem that i won't really get what i want straight line wise unless i sink big money into it so could stick with sound + aesthetics or go STi

Quick Reply: Smaller things to start with to get the most out of it