UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

To those of you running a standard air intake...

Old 08-23-2015, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To those of you running a standard air intake...

I'm curious to know your reasons for doing so, a lot of people on here seem to go aftermarket so why haven't you?
Old 08-23-2015, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by japcrap
I'm curious to know your reasons for doing so, a lot of people on here seem to go aftermarket so why haven't you?

Guess some people just like to keep their cars as standard/oem as possible.

I fit a FIPK and it as good as cured the Low speed stuttering / Heat soak issue most people experience and thats good enough reason
to change the intake for me.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:01 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

It works perfectly well, doesn't sound chavvy, and I haven't really experienced the infamous kangarooing.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Shigeru Uehara knew what he was doing.

I have not seen any convincing evidence that an OEM air box (with a drop in K&N filter) is inferior to any popular kits.

Kits may add bling and sound louder but £250+ spent on fuel would be my choice.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:04 AM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

A big void if removed,
Made out of correct materials,
Correct length,
Good transition of air
Also MB made very good power with one on the Dyno,

I have Cosworth drop in filter proven better flow tham oem and K&N
A snorkel from a scrap yard £10 and painted it and vents from grill <CAI> <looks to be a Ebay job>
And removed baffle plate inside,
With 200 HFC sound very nice
Note*
wish I went velocity stack though with above

NOTE*
Airbox lid removed Looses Power and sounds crap

Note*
Also have oem DC2 Type "R" airbox on the other car,considered one of the best and popular on EK9.
designed by Honda also.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/634...intake-thread/
Old 08-23-2015, 11:34 AM

Some fair points. I put my standard intake back on today to try and pinpoint a noise my car is making (it's still there but not as apparent) and it got me thinking why do people run the standard one.

I find that with the standard intake on that the vtec crossover is much less noticeable, and it obviously doesn't sound as good/loud WOT but the car does seem better mannered when driving around town, pulling out of junctions and on idle. It's also nice to be able to make progress without induction noise drawing attention. I am going to keep it on and maybe look at getting one of the snorkels that doesn't require a bonnet cut.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:42 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by japcrap
Some fair points. I put my standard intake back on today to try and pinpoint a noise my car is making (it's still there but not as apparent) and it got me thinking why do people run the standard one.

I find that with the standard intake on that the vtec crossover is much less noticeable, and it obviously doesn't sound as good/loud WOT but the car does seem better mannered when driving around town, pulling out of junctions and on idle. It's also nice to be able to make progress without induction noise drawing attention. I am going to keep it on and maybe look at getting one of the snorkels that doesn't require a bonnet cut.
It works..................Really well.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:49 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Quote:
I find that with the standard intake on that the vtec crossover is much less noticeable

means less lag and smoother power delivery ,a nice power curve

I have not cut bonnet,and would not,its pretty close though and 2 Crower stickers prevent damage
Old 08-23-2015, 01:54 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

I run a standard air box and filter because it gives me a choice:

Airbox lid comes off and goes into the boot - Lovely induction noise for blasts out on the open roads.

Airbox lid stays on - when the induction noise becomes too much and I want a nice quiet drive home.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:57 PM

Will ultimately change the intake but TBH I have read so many different threads on this forum I'm not getting anywhere with which one to go for....far too much choice and info overload.

Will bite the bullet at some point and just buy one of the popular options I am sure.

Quick Reply: To those of you running a standard air intake...