UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

PCV Valve (99-03)

Old 08-27-2015, 11:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCV Valve (99-03)

I stumbled across this thread: PCV Replacement after seeing if there was a way to reduce the amount of black oily soot on the exhausts, and to reduce the oil consumption which has increased with age.

I didn't even realise that the PCV ever needed replacing. I've had my car since it had 76K on, and am now up on 134k, during which time I've never replaced this valve!!
Research amongst many different car forums seems to show that replacing this valve has improved engine performance ever so slightly, or at least, ensures that the engine is running smoothly and is usually done as a maintenance item on many brands!

I've been trying to locate one in the UK but seems fairly difficult - certainly for our cars. It seems the yanks can pick these up for about $3 at their nearest autostore, but we do not have such a thing here? I popped into Halfords, and they wasn't sure what it was - but did offer me a cycle valve!!

Evidently, I declined their offer and went back to researching. It seems there are online Honda dealers that sell the PCV, but at a whopping cost of £40!
Does anyone know where we can get these here, and if it has to be the specific honda one? It's just a little non-return valve from my understanding - something that would cost 50p in an aquatics shop!
Old 08-27-2015, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

£42 quid from Honda UK just now I think.

Part number: 17130PV3013

Awfully steep, but interestingly, it's the same PCV valve as fitted to the CR-V, '97-'01 (engine/box KA 4AT, KA 5MT)

So, might be able to avoid S2K 'tax' getting a CR-V one?
Old 08-27-2015, 11:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even with that shipping cost, it's cheaper than Honda: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...3-013&_sacat=0
Old 08-28-2015, 01:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is also on my to-do list. However I'll be going for a catch can and a Supra PCV as they're similarly priced and a superior piece of equipment.

I wouldn't mind a Supra either, but I've run out of money and space to keep cars!
Old 08-28-2015, 02:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by C7 JFW
This is also on my to-do list. However I'll be going for a catch can and a Supra PCV as they're similarly priced and a superior piece of equipment.

I wouldn't mind a Supra either, but I've run out of money and space to keep cars!

Does the Supra PCV fit etc? Any reason why its superior? Got any part numbers that could be used to look for as they may be easier to source. I have read that it's a particularly weak point on our cars, much more so the AP2/04+ version.

Will definitely be checking mine this weekend and give it some carb cleaner - but may just bite and order that one from the states in mark's ebay link (cheers for that link btw mate!)

A catch can is probably on my list at some point to reduce oil usage.

Edit/ Google search is my friend: Supra PCV install DIY
Old 08-28-2015, 04:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to chirp in here, and apologies if i take this off on a totally different track. But i bought an airline air/oil/water separator off ebay for about £4 and plumbed it into my pcv circuit. so far it's doing a good job of catching any blow by oil and doesn't look too ridiculous. It could easily be put into the existing hose from rocker cover to manifold but i didn't fancy mine rattling about on top of the engine.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:49 AM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

Rob can you post a link for the oil seperator please?
Old 08-28-2015, 08:56 AM

Rob have you noticed a drop in oil consumption?
Old 08-28-2015, 12:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RobinA3
Rob have you noticed a drop in oil consumption?
I used this oil/water separator and you'll need one hose tail with a 1/4" bsp male thread to go in the top and the same size but with a female thread to go in the bottom.

I've not noticed any drop in oil usage but the separator is doing it's job and catching oil as it's drawn through the breather so it's definitely a worthwhile addition
Old 08-28-2015, 12:44 PM

What happens with the oil caught? Do you need to empty the filter or is there a tank you drain into?

Quick Reply: PCV Valve (99-03)