UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Anybody have Eibach springs with stock dampers?

Old 08-28-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anybody have Eibach springs with stock dampers?

I had a major operation on my lower back a few years ago, and was discussing the low-speed ride quality (or lack of it) with Tom the last time that I was at TGM. I had thought that an Ohlins kit might be the answer, albeit a rather expensive one.

Tom suggested trying a set of Eibach Pro springs, as they are progressive, and would improve the low-speed ride, retaining the standard shocks.

Does anybody have this set-up and live within a reasonable distance of Hampshire, so that I can have a ride in their car and see how it feels? I don't want to commit to changing the springs only to discover that there's no real improvement in the ride quality.

Thanks
Old 08-28-2015, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Eibach pro springs with stock dampers are fine. I've driven a friends s2000 with this set up and its perfectly acceptable comfort-wise whilst having the car sitting a bit lower too.

Do it. If I didn't have coilovers, I would probably do this instead.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:32 PM
Site Moderator

Received 2,588 Likes on 1,903 Posts

I had Eibach springs on mine for several years, ride quality was similar to stock, just a bit lower.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running standard shocks and eibach springs. Car doesn't ride any worse than OEM in my opinion. You mention you were at TGM, I'm not in hampshire but I will be at TGM on the 19th of september and can take you for a spin if there isn't anyone near. I wouldn't say they improve the ride quality, they just make the car look lower.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:24 PM

Depends where in Hampshire you are, I'm in West Sussex.
Old 08-28-2015, 08:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had an S with Nitron coil overs and another with Eibachs on stock dampers
The Nitrons were FAR better (300 lb springs)
Stock dampers with eibach aren't great for a bad back
They are stiffer than stock and obviously have less damper travel
So you do feel poor surfaces and pot holes more
Old 08-28-2015, 11:16 PM

Received 344 Likes on 321 Posts

Maybe better seats would help with better support in the lower lumber
lowering the car will not help access,i find it difficult myself at stock
still got new Eibachs in the shed 15 months now !! any day now
its not my daily drive..
Old 08-28-2015, 11:39 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't live anywhere near you.

But I can confirm as others have said, that they're quite a compliant ride. Brilliant around B roads and testing roads, providing enough of a firm ride for it not to feel wallowy in the bends and not too firm for lengthy periods of driving. I drove mine to LeMans and back with a boot full of gear and not once did the ride feel uncomfortable at all.

A good happy medium. I don't want to change my setup at all and have been like this for 3 years now.
Old 08-29-2015, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by imc27
I had a major operation on my lower back a few years ago, and was discussing the low-speed ride quality (or lack of it) with Tom the last time that I was at TGM. I had thought that an Ohlins kit might be the answer, albeit a rather expensive one.

Tom suggested trying a set of Eibach Pro springs, as they are progressive, and would improve the low-speed ride, retaining the standard shocks.

Does anybody have this set-up and live within a reasonable distance of Hampshire, so that I can have a ride in their car and see how it feels? I don't want to commit to changing the springs only to discover that there's no real improvement in the ride quality.

Thanks
Right so let me get this straight, you want to change the OEM setup for something with firmer springs and you're already complaining about low speed ride quality?

Changing to Eibach or Ohlins or anything isn't going to change that. The OEM setup is the most compliant I know of.

Fundamentally, you're dealing with a car that was designed for handling performance and not to wallow over bumps.

I sympathise with your injuries - I have a fragmented disc in my back so I know how it can be.

As noodels says, you could change the seat, but the S cabin is narrow as it is so your options are limited.

I think the best option you have is going for 16" wheels and dropping the tyre pressures a little. Go for a Toyo T1R as they have a lot of compliance.

Beyond that I'm afraid I'd have to tell you to sell up.
Old 08-29-2015, 03:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron you can improve the lowspeed ride with care choices and set up
But it needs low spring rates
My supercharged S had Nitron's on with 300lb springs
The ride and handling was very comfortable
As you say its all about adding extra compliance

Quick Reply: Anybody have Eibach springs with stock dampers?