UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

brake sticking

Old 08-29-2015, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake sticking

My front brakes were sticking so I took to quick fit . They said the calipers were ok and greased and cleaned.this stopped them from sticking and all was good.now after a month the front left is sticking again.the pads are good about 80% .it's not the sort of thing I could do my self .what do you think I should do? Replace calipers? They charge £20 to clean but this could keep on happening.the discs are worn and are about on the limit.if I had to replace parts where would be the best place to buy from in the UK.

Thanks

Dave
Old 08-29-2015, 11:40 PM

Received 64 Likes on 39 Posts

There are loads of posts about seized calipers and where to buy replacement ones - do a search.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have a mobile phone and there is no search button.ive been looking on here on and off for 3 days . Just wanted to know what exactly I need to buy and the best place to buy them. I'm very confused and I can't find the answer I'm looking for. Kwikfit said the calipers were ok so even more confused. If I change caliper do i have to change disc and pads as well.
If it's been covered so many times why can't I find the answer easy enough.i searched on Google and found a link to s2k to clean the calipers which i had done.that was a month ago after finding advice here on s2k.
If this post is offending then just delete it and I will go to a garage and pray they don't rip me off.

Dave
Old 08-30-2015, 12:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Firstly and most importantly... Please don't take it back to Kwik Fit!

If you're not comfortable with doing this sort of thing yourself I'd suggest you find yourself a good, trustworthy independent and ask them to investigate the problem. Hopefully it'll be a sticky slider pin which they should be able to free off and re grease.

Ordinarily, you won't need to replace discs & pads when changing calipers. The only exception would be if the sticky caliper has caused the whole pad/disc setup to overheat and blue or warp. You'll be able to pick up a warped disc as a judder through the steering wheel/brake pedal when you brake.

if you need to get calipers you can either let your garage source them, you can buy new from Honda which is ludicrously expensive or do what most people do and buy service exchange units. I bought my rears from brakes international, service and quality were spot on so that'd be my personal preference.

Hope you get your problem solved!
Old 08-30-2015, 12:33 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Brakes International are a good place to start, if you become a S2kUK member you can get a discount.

http://www.s2kuk.com/member-discounts.php

Your post isn't offending "try a search" is a stock answer, forum favourites is a good start I got mine from eBay they were copies but are holding up well.

KwikFit can do a decent deal they will replace the calliper fit new pads and if you are happy to stick with stock pads they will replace then free for as long as you have the car.

You shouldn't necessarily have to replace the disks unless they have lost thickness below the specified limit.

I have my callipers stripped cleaned and lubed when I have my car serviced.

Firstly and most importantly... Please don't take it back to Kwik Fit!
I would qualify Robs statement, don't take it back to the same KwikFit. Ask around for one that has got a good reputation if you want to go that way.
Old 08-30-2015, 02:02 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

There is a search for mobile, instructions are contained in one of the stickies. Look here: https://www.s2ki.com/...mobile-version/

See here for brake calliper replacement https://www.s2ki.com/...st__p__23172406

I have asked you to use the search before as well: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/113...t__p__23700854