UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Exhaust/Manifold...

Old 09-04-2015, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RobAp1
Opinions duly noted. I'll just spectate from a distance now
That's entirely upto you but, as Earls says, people on here are completely paranoid and if you don't put an OEM Honda oil filter on with Castrol edge, your car will immediately blow up.
Is an ECU going to be beneficial for running an Exhaust manifold, exhaust system, and air intake? Of course, but if you ask the tuner they will be removing the fuel, making it run leaner to up the power.

I have no problem with opinions either, but if it's stuff that affects people's practical decisions, I'll speak up about it if it's wrong.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:38 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

FWIW you are both right.

Some combinations of these items will cause an AFR problem - kim-s2k had a problem with the DMS parts he fitted, so much so that at the dyno day a couple of years back, his runs were abandoned.

On the other hand, earl's figures are pretty good.
Old 09-04-2015, 04:49 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
FWIW you are both right.

Some combinations of these items will cause an AFR problem - kim-s2k had a problem with the DMS parts he fitted, so much so that at the dyno day a couple of years back, his runs were abandoned.

On the other hand, earl's figures are pretty good.
More than likely Kim's run was an O2/MAP sensor issue. Or he was running a turbo he didn't mention
Old 09-04-2015, 05:47 AM

thanks all... think i'll stick with a cat back system and berk hi flow cat for now.

Thanks for all the info and thoughts, really helped.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dan lewis
Originally Posted by Mish' timestamp='1441018689' post='23731958
thanks all, interesting options...

Thanks Greenman,

Really looking for improved sound, more of a performance 'note'... without being ridiculously loud or 'droney'... want to stay within UK legal sound levels whatever that is.

Not sure I'd go with a manifold as well at the moment, possibly a decent cat back system will suffice... although interested to hear if anyone has fitted a performance high flow cat and if its helped at all.

Would prefer to maintain a dual exit (rather than go for some of the single sided exits).

What companies have people used?

On the tuning... is a remap necessary if going for a manifold too? If so, what tuning places are people going to to have this work done?

Cheers,

Mish
Mugen is a quiet exhaust and is track friendly and dual exit.

I could be wrong but the standard ecu isn't map able, you have 2 options get a js racing/spoon ecu or go hondata/aem if you want mapping.

Think must people run decats Tbf.

Hope that helps

I have a Mugen exhaust, because I wanted something that sounded better, saved weight, aids performance and doesn't drone. I also fitted a Tracy Sports TS-02 manifold, which was fitted at the same time to save a little on labour. I'm still running the stock CAT, but a Berk HFC will be next, since they're good value in terms of bhp/£.

Given a new car, I'd do the same again, but install an HFC at the same time as the exhaust and manifold.

I added a Mugen intake soon after, which is nice and quiet and makes a modest difference, but I'm still lusting after the PWJDM. I'm saving up for a new ECU, but plenty have run aftermarket I/H/E without issues, so I'd do it for more mid range rather than concerns about safety.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

I think most cars will run lean somewhere in the rpm range when you ad a few good breathing mods.
Probably not enough to cause the motor to blow but maybe cause some extra wear though.
On my '03 with intake, manifold and exhaust mods I had to ad ~10% more duty cycle around 6-7000rpm to get the AFR down to ~13.