UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

My favourite oil

Old 09-01-2015, 04:35 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts
Default My favourite oil

Hi All,
Just thought I'd share with you what I've found to be the nicest oil I've run so far in my car.
I've been through OEM and Fuchs for engine, gearbox and diff. I've used millers nanotech too which was ok until the reviews put me off!

Over the last year though I've been running my car on oils produced/sold from Anglo American Oil Company based down in Poole.
I've done quite a few track days in my car with all the oils above but this stuff seems to hold out the best gave me the smoothest engine, most positive (no notch) gear changes and best feeling diff.
Engine: Driven DT40 5w40
Gearbox: SynchR80
Diff: Driven LSD 75w90

Just come back from a track day at Donington in the wet and I just figured I'd let you all know as I haven't seen this brand being mentioned in here.

They have all the data specs for the oils on their website www.aaoil.co.uk within the products page.

Obviously this is a personal experience but I recommend it to anyone who is looking to service.

Has anyone else run this, if so then what did you think?
Old 09-01-2015, 04:40 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I think the problem is that any oil review is completely subjective without long term testing and oil analysis, and someone who understands the results.

There's lot of threads where people say 'this is really good' etc but it's very difficult to see what it's based on! A lot is placebo, or just the fact that the oil has been changed so it feels better.

Not saying it's not good stuff!

Mine is regularly checked by Castrol and its driven pretty hard.

PS I live near Poole
Old 09-01-2015, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
I think the problem is that any oil review is completely subjective without long term testing and oil analysis.

There's lot of threads where people say 'this is really good' etc but it's very difficult to see what it's based on!
Pure B0llocks

No, It's actually completely true
Old 09-01-2015, 04:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

FWIW, I have been using Halfords oil in my last 4 performance cars - either their motor sport or regular stuff - for the last 7-8 years and have covered probably over 100k miles, including multiple track days, Nurburgring trips, temps up to 130 degrees as well as daily use and I have never had any problems or seen any signs of wear. The choice to use Halfords stuff is purely from a cost and convenience perspective with my trade discount.

Very hard to know a good oil from a bad until an engine dies on you. Even then there's multiple other things that could go wrong other than lubrication. What I can definitely say is that I've saved hundreds of pounds over the years using the Halfords stuff.

Also to OP, your link doesn't work
Old 09-01-2015, 04:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
A lot is placebo
You'd need to carry out research of adequate rigour to even make that claim with any confidence
Old 09-01-2015, 05:14 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

As I said this is just my personal opinion, just thought I'd share as I've not seen this stuff mentioned on here at all.

the website is http://www.aaoil.co.uk/
Old 09-01-2015, 07:58 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

I've always used Castrol and only had one rod through the side.

Which tells you precisely nothing...
Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 AM

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

I've used magnatech and spent two days scraping the tarry gunk it turned into off the inside of the engine if that counts.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My favourite oil is used to cook chips....
Old 09-01-2015, 09:32 AM

Received 73 Likes on 60 Posts

Nice virgin olive oil , is my choice for salad dressing .

Quick Reply: My favourite oil