S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

whos running the sos flex fuel kit

Old 04-17-2017, 09:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jin_SK
If you're running E85, it's actually pretty critical you monitor fuel temp. I burnt (literally) my pump because of high fuel temps.
So when your fuel temp goes over certain temp. what do you do? pull over the road and let it cool down? what temp do you need to be under? which fueld temp gage do you recommend?
Old 04-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I always thought it wasn't so much the fuel heating up but the pump generating the heat O_o meaning a overworked pump will generate more heat, as a properly sized pump/larger would not
Old 04-17-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE
I always thought it wasn't so much the fuel heating up but the pump generating the heat O_o meaning a overworked pump will generate more heat, as a properly sized pump/larger would not
Ohh i understand. well i have seen many peepz run e85 with FBM340 with a gtx3076 on pfab elt 550whp no problem so i should be good but i dont know about the Original Poster.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I find it hard to bite on the idea that the MFG. Engineers would band aid a overworked fuel pump by adding a temp sensor. Just my .02

Not saying anything here is definitive or I am right over another, really just speculation.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by MorngWoodStewie
I find it hard to bite on the idea that the MFG. Engineers would band aid a overworked fuel pump by adding a temp sensor. Just my .02

Not saying anything here is definitive or I am right over another, really just speculation.
fact is e85 needs a increase in temp for use, I think it has to be 30% or so warmer than gasoline to convert. I thought the temp sensor wasn't so much for heat rather to show if e85 is in operating temp
Old 04-17-2017, 01:40 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

The "temp sensor" is part of the flex fuel sensor and is only there because it's needed to calculate the correct ethanol content.
I guess it can be useful to log and have some compensation for it as well but I doubt OEM cars use it.
Check this link for more information how the flex fuel sensor works Clemson Vehicular Electronics Laboratory: Flex Fuel Sensors
Old 04-17-2017, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by flanders
The "temp sensor" is part of the flex fuel sensor and is only there because it's needed to calculate the correct ethanol content.
I guess it can be useful to log and have some compensation for it as well but I doubt OEM cars use it.
Check this link for more information how the flex fuel sensor works Clemson Vehicular Electronics Laboratory: Flex Fuel Sensors
correct. The issue is some think it's the e85 that is causing the heat and not the working fuel pump
Old 04-17-2017, 02:23 PM

Ahh so Flanders is saying it works in conjunction with sensor to provide a accurate percentage reading.
Maybe because it's oxygenated, heat disperses it or enlarges the air molecules effecting ethanol content.....I'll read the article now lol enough guessing.

My main point was that 99% of these sensors are OEM/MFG and they have strict budgets, guidelines, "creature comforts" QA/QC and has to perform in a lot of environments so my thinking is if it's there 1: oem cars deffly use it 2: it is functional and 3: adheres to one of the listed guidelines or something I left out.
​​​​​​
The consensus or conclusion of a overworked fuel pumps an e85... To Mee is the "modders" or performance enthusiast byproduct of finding a deficiency in a set of parts on a car never engineered to be boosted or "flex fueled" in the first place. My first post "thought" could be argued this same way tho. (tuner error etc)... thats why Flanders post "makes sense" to me n sounds more planted with a lot of encompassing forethought, and it's backed by a laboratory article from the looks of the link.
​​​​​

Last edited by MorngWoodStewie; 04-17-2017 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:59 PM

fact is e85 needs a increase in temp for use, I think it has to be 30% or so warmer than gasoline to convert. I thought the temp sensor wasn't so much for heat rather to show if e85 is in operating temp
Exactly, so if I was a engineer adhering to the world. I would design a fuel tank insulation/heater or something. No one wants to jump in their car in a Alaskan winter n say ahh sh*t gas isn't in operating range because that's all a temp gauge would do ...Unless it's easier or more cost efficient to just manipulate timing or whatever to get that fuel to spark n start heat soaking from injectors > to rail > to fuel lines, eventually creating an increase in actual combusted ethanol temps which are more in it's "operating range" or closer to its optimized temp. That was my basis for thought at least lol.
Might not be correct but after seeing fuel corrections for IATs, ECTs, ignition tip in trimming it doesn't seem that far fetched but as we read earlier it sounds like it's just a way to get an accurate ethanol content percentage.

Last edited by MorngWoodStewie; 04-17-2017 at 04:17 PM.