Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

AE86 Blacktop - test drive and review

Old 09-03-2015, 01:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AE86 Blacktop - test drive and review

Hi all,

I recently had the opportunity to drive my buddy's tastefully modded AE86, and did a POV test drive video on it. I wanted to share with S2000 owners since the car feels a lot like an older, less powerful S2000 that's just as fun to drive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHmESV6i0GM

This video is part of a series of test drives I'm doing for Youtube. You can find the others on my channel.

List of mods:
4AGE 20-valve "Blacktop"
Individual throttle bodies
OBX 4-1 header
HKS Hi-Power catback
Megan Racing coilovers
Drag DR20 15x7" with Direzza ZII 195/50
Sparco wheel and TRD leather shift knob

Let me know what you think! Also, if anyone is interested in featuring their car on my channel, let me know.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:52 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

ITBs aren't a mod on a BT 4AGE; they come with them from the factory. He would make more power with the stock surge tank installed over the open air filters. It is almost completely different engine than the stock 4AGE. (I have an AW11 with a Blacktop) The BT is worlds different than the stock 4AGE in performance.

Turn on spot metering with your camera to prevent that washout with the outside scenery.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shudder to think about how the S2000 would feel with less power than stock. Because I imagine it would be like a BRZ, which I hated.

Which leads me to a question for you (if you've driven a BRZ/FRS): how did its predecessor feel in comparison?
Old 09-03-2015, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fokker
ITBs aren't a mod on a BT 4AGE. They come with them from the factory. He'd make more power with the stock surge tank installed over the open ITB. It is almost completely different engine than the stock 4AGE. I have an AW11 with a Blacktop and it's worlds different than the stock 4AGE in performance.

Turn on spot metering with your camera to prevent that washout with the outside scenery.
My friend opted for open ITBs for the look and sound. Even if it's a few hp down on the stock setup, the sound alone is worth it. The ITBs are stock but the velocity stacks are not. Yeah, there are a lot of differences between blacktop and the stock 16v besides # valves. Compression, # ribs, oil squirters, and so on, that weren't covered in my video but could have been useful for some viewers. The casual viewer only needs to know the blacktop revs higher and makes more power, but you might lose power steering and A/C unless extra effort is given to retain them.

Spot metering was on. I just had too much of the dark interior in the frame of my GoPro.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by S2K Al
I shudder to think about how the S2000 would feel with less power than stock. Because I imagine it would be like a BRZ, which I hated.

Which leads me to a question for you (if you've driven a BRZ/FRS): how did its predecessor feel in comparison?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k84DsxksWik

I prefer the raw character of the AE86 with 20v over a stock BRZ. A BRZ with full bolt-ons might be a different story, but I don't think those would mask the weight difference. The BRZ is already a very light car, but the AE86 is a full ~400-500 pounds lighter. Also, I've never been a big fan of the FA20.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:28 PM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

What is this power steering you speak of? AW11 needs not this witchcraft. I still need to install the AC in mine, but haven't gotten the motivation to do so.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Fokker
What is this power steering you speak of? AW11 needs not this witchcraft. I still need to install the AC in mine, but haven't gotten the motivation to do so.
Haha, I drove an AW11 SC once. Had never experienced manual steering before, but it felt awesome. However, driving the AE86 with stock power steering was great! As I explained in my video, the hydraulic assistance doesn't seem to take anything away from the steering feedback. It just makes it lighter and easier to operate while retaining the great sense of connection to the front axle. Perhaps the best steering I've used. NSX steering is great but is honestly a bit too heavy in low speed corners.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't compare it to an S2000. More of an even older S13.

This car is painfully easy to drive, has slow reactions and weight transfer and is great for beginners. I won't lend it any more credit than that, and yes you can call me a hater. Just my take on it.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Holy crap that road looks scary
Old 09-03-2015, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Sebring AP1
I wouldn't compare it to an S2000. More of an even older S13.

This car is painfully easy to drive, has slow reactions and weight transfer and is great for beginners. I won't lend it any more credit than that, and yes you can call me a hater. Just my take on it.
I haven't driven an S13 so I can't comment on that comparison. For me, the S2000 is the closest in terms of driving dynamics on a canyon road where I'm not pushing it past 7/10ths and not worrying about hitting every apex. In this environment both cars have sharp turn in, abundant lateral grip, and light and responsive driver controls. Driving at the limit might be a different story.

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Holy crap that road looks scary
Yeah, the drop off can be quite steep. Especially during the one-lane, two-way sections. There are only a few sections where I can drive a bit harder, but those sections are really fun!

Quick Reply: AE86 Blacktop - test drive and review