Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help choosing new wheels

Old 09-03-2015, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help choosing new wheels

back when i go my 2005 s2000 the previous owner had changed the wheels to some rays wheels and they only handle 215s front and rear and its always bugged me i need new tires on the rear now and dont want to put smaller tires than stock on it so i need to get new wheels. i pretty much have no budget in a bad way like no money lol but am saving and have been saving this year. im looking for the lightest yet strong and cheapest wheels i cant get for the car that dont require messing with the fenders the car is lowered on neuspeed springs i believe i need to change the suspension out as well and plan to go with a coilover havent decided that either.

what wheels do you all recommend for me?

also there are some pretty cheap high offset square setups but dont know what i would need to offset the increased grip in the front to keep the handling right i have heard it changes things
Old 09-03-2015, 07:03 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Hard to beat the OEM wheels. They're not the lightest but are made by Enkei. There are good reasons these came with staggered wheel setups. Set of 4 reconditioned AP2V1 wheels is about $600. No messing with anything with these.

-- Chuck
Old 09-03-2015, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Hard to beat the OEM wheels. They're not the lightest but are made by Enkei. There are good reasons these came with staggered wheel setups. Set of 4 reconditioned AP2V1 wheels is about $600. No messing with anything with these.

-- Chuck
where can i get them reconditioned? i do like the look of the ap2 v1 wheels also how would i know they are real and not replicas everything i have read says replicas are quite a bit heavier
Old 09-04-2015, 03:04 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I bought a set of four (2 front, 2 rear) AP2V2 wheels for my '06 last summer from Allfactorywheels dot com. These are reconditioned, not brand new, but look very good. Probably $700 with shipping looking at their website this morning.

-- Chuck
Old 09-04-2015, 04:46 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

If you go square you will seriously want to upgrade the front sway bar as well. I run TR 17x9 +62s, but if doing it all over again the Kosei wheels look like the best bang for the buck and under 17 lbs a piece. I love having 255s all around, but I also have a comptech adjustable sway set to full stiff.
Old 09-04-2015, 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I bought a set of four (2 front, 2 rear) AP2V2 wheels for my '06 last summer from Allfactorywheels dot com. These are reconditioned, not brand new, but look very good. Probably $700 with shipping looking at their website this morning.

-- Chuck
thanks for the advice and link i will check them out

called them and they dont have and refurbished wheels left just replicas
Old 09-04-2015, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
If you go square you will seriously want to upgrade the front sway bar as well. I run TR 17x9 +62s, but if doing it all over again the Kosei wheels look like the best bang for the buck and under 17 lbs a piece. I love having 255s all around, but I also have a comptech adjustable sway set to full stiff.
would i have to roll or modify the fenders to run a square 245-255 setup i have managed to induce understeer twice since owning the car so a wider front wheel and being able to get full warranty on tires would nice. also i know it depends on tires but does running affect wet traction since it decreases pressure per square inch?
Old 09-04-2015, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by sureshot1234
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1441370810' post='23736863
would i have to roll or modify the fenders to run a square 245-255 setup i have managed to induce understeer twice since owning the car so a wider front wheel and being able to get full warranty on tires would nice. also i know it depends on tires but does running affect wet traction since it decreases pressure per square inch?
As long as your offset on the wheels is greater than 60 the only thing you'll want to do is bend up the two top-most bumper tabs a little. I just used the handle of a mallet to do so and it worked fine. I drove home in the pouring rain on RS3s and did just fine. Running a tire like the RE71R would even be better. Some people report increased tramming with a 255 up front, but I havent had any real issues. Again, if you go square you will want to upgrade the front sway. This is pretty important.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
Originally Posted by sureshot1234' timestamp='1441374968' post='23736955
[quote name='RedCelica' timestamp='1441370810' post='23736863']
As long as your offset on the wheels is greater than 60 the only thing you'll want to do is bend up the two top-most bumper tabs a little. I just used the handle of a mallet to do so and it worked fine. I drove home in the pouring rain on RS3s and did just fine. Running a tire like the RE71R would even be better. Some people report increased tramming with a 255 up front, but I havent had any real issues. Again, if you go square you will want to upgrade the front sway. This is pretty important.
[/quote]

i will be getting pilot super sport tires when i get the wheels had z1 star specs before would swift front and rear sway bar kit be a good choice?
Old 09-04-2015, 06:19 AM

Again...you only want to upgrade the FRONT. Swift is a bad choice because the front bar is actually not as stiff as even a stock ap1 bar (see here: http://www.swiftsprings.net/products...tabilizer.html )

Review this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/908...y-bar-options/

IMO, you'll want at least a bar that will do 500 lbs, but 600-700 would be great for when you get coilovers.

PSS are awesome, but only come in 245/40s, no 255/40 is available, which actually might be a good thing since you're lowered.

This would be a great option, and quite affordable too: http://shop.moddiction.com/Moddictio...ay-bar-068.htm

Quick Reply: need help choosing new wheels