UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Another exhaust topic

Old 09-19-2015, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another exhaust topic

Hi guys, was servicing my S2000 with couple of garage buddies and we were discussing the UK exhaust mod which I have been thinking about doing.

One of them said that replacing the resonator box with a straight through section might be better or the silencers with straight through (or both).

Has anyone done either and what were the results with regards the sound.

I'm purely looking to make the car sound nicer, not fussed as much about weight or peformance gains (as I know I won't get them). My main concern is to avoid any droning, which is why modding the stock exhaust seems a better option than a cat back system since I can keep the 'handle' which apparently has been designed to reduce drone.
Old 09-19-2015, 07:02 AM

Don't remove the helmholtz resonator, it is there to reduce drone or any of the mid boxes.

The stock exhaust is actually pretty good, i wouldn't go hacking into one other than the exhaust mod as described.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I took my exhaust off to do the mod I noticed that a previous owner had removed the Helmholtz resonator and the mid box. I used 32 mm pipe for my mod and in total I think it sounds pretty good. I have zero drone in my car.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:44 AM

Received 1,128 Likes on 991 Posts

We all have different noise tolerances. The "problem" with modifying the exhaust is other than directly hearing a car you can't tell if you can like/tolerate it. Audio clips are essentially useless.

All aftermarket S2000 exhausts drone. All of 'em. I'm on my third exhaust system. Stock was just too mundane. Predominate sound was the FIPK intake -- a nice sound but still too mundane. The so-called UK exhaust mod requires buggering the OEM exhaust and there are almost as many bypass pipe sizes as guys modifying it. If you can cut and weld this is an inexpensive modification. No one near me had this mod. If considering it try to find several guys with it as the sound seems to vary with the diameter of the bypass. I wanted the ability to restore the car to stock so went with an aftermarket system and the stock system is stored in my shed in the event the next owner wants a pure stock car.

Third exhaust? (1) Stock. (2) Invidia Q300. (2) Tanabe Medalion Touring. All dual systems. The Tanabe is the keeper. Q300 sounds wonderful if you're still in high school or university.

A bonus (for me) with either the Q300 or Medalion Touring exhausts was the replacement of the "Civic" exhaust tips with 100mm outlets that are (cosmetically) more aggressive.

-- Chuck

Old 09-20-2015, 05:57 AM

I presume by Helmholtz you mean the little bit of pipe that sticks out? (looks like a handle). I was not planning on touching that, since, like you say, its there to reduce drone.

I mean the box just before the silencers. Most aftermarket cat back systems seem to have removed this box or have a smaller one and straight pipes through the silencers.
Old 09-20-2015, 05:59 AM

Thanks Chuck, the Q300 or Tanabe are the top of my list for cat back systems, good to hear from someone thats had both
Old 09-20-2015, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well all I'm going to say is that I've had a few people passenger in my car (all varying ages) and not one of them has complained about my exhaust droning or being boomy.

I have been in cars that have droning exhausts and it feels like your head is going to explode.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:31 PM

My ASM never droned, but that was a single and sounded the bees knees too. Single FTW.
Old 09-21-2015, 10:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Mugen never droned either
Old 11-28-2015, 04:18 PM

Ended up putting on a modded exhaust that also had resonator removed. This is the result, quite pleased

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sARMYQkuCaU

Quick Reply: Another exhaust topic