Wheels and Tires Discussion about wheels and tires for the S2000.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie from Clublexus and now an S2000 owner with question regarding wheels.

Old 09-19-2015, 11:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Newbie from Clublexus and now an S2000 owner with question regarding wheels.

Hello Everyone,
I'm an avid Lexus user. But have owned hondas in the past. Anyways, to make the long story short.
I just recently acquired an S2000, OEM and extremely in mint condition. But I've always said to myself, that once I own an S2K. I'll make sure I'll stick a real "meaty" tires on her.

So I just need your advice:
A. I will not do any fender mods.
B. I will not change my suspension.

So questions are as follows:
What size and offsets preferably?
Links to any pics having this set-up.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2015, 10:36 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

If you are unwilling to do any fender mods just leave the stock ap2 wheels and put 255's int he rear and 225's in front and call it a day. Your only other options are wheels that come in near oem sizes like CE28's in 17x9 +63 17x7.5 +50 and you would still be running the same size tires as with the AP2 oem wheels. You can google search for pictures.
Old 10-06-2015, 08:16 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just stay with higher positive offset wheels and in the 17" the widest I would recommend would be the 255/40R17. We do have some wheels that will work without fender mods. If I can help let me know.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the general consensus regarding "go to" performance tires for AP2 OEM wheels?

Is there a short list of preferred tires for the stock AP2 wheel size? If there's already a thread on this (and I am sure there is), can anyone provide a direct link?
Old 10-06-2015, 03:41 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

The OEM s2000 tires are meaty enough for all but the "stance" and ricer guys. (The S2000 is not a Miata with those 205mm tires.)

If you have an AP2 stick with those sizes; if you have an AP1 get AP2 wheels and stick with AP2 tire sizes. Stick with the stagger, it helps cornering and control. The way most of us are capable of driving -- and your requirements -- we can get by with inexpensive All Season radials. But we all run at least high performance summer tires. Bridgestone RE-71R shouldn't get any arguments from anyone here other than they're noisy. They replaced the very capable and quieter (but discontinued) RE-11A tires. (RE-11A on my car.)

Tire Rack published a tire comparison in the past month. Keep in mine Tire Rack is in business to sell tires

-- Chuck
Old 10-06-2015, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
The OEM s2000 tires are meaty enough for all but the "stance" and ricer guys. (The S2000 is not a Miata with those 205mm tires.)

If you have an AP2 stick with those sizes; if you have an AP1 get AP2 wheels and stick with AP2 tire sizes. Stick with the stagger, it helps cornering and control. The way most of us are capable of driving -- and your requirements -- we can get by with inexpensive All Season radials. But we all run at least high performance summer tires. Bridgestone RE-71R shouldn't get any arguments from anyone here other than they're noisy. They replaced the very capable and quieter (but discontinued) RE-11A tires. (RE-11A on my car.)

Tire Rack published a tire comparison in the past month. Keep in mine Tire Rack is in business to sell tires

-- Chuck
Thanks!

The RE-71R look like they get great reviews... The Michelin Pilot Super Sports also look like they are highly rated...
Old 10-06-2015, 04:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeekiM
Originally Posted by Chuck S' timestamp='1444174863' post='23768152

-- Chuck
Thanks!

The RE-71R look like they get great reviews... The Michelin Pilot Super Sports also look like they are highly rated...
I have the Michelin PSS and they have yet to let me down.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

You can fit up to a 285/30/18 in the rear on unmodified fenders with the exact right wheel width/offset, just depends on what your definition of "meaty" is?

245 max up front stock fenders.

If your not planning on upgrading the suspension then you wont be able to capitalize on the added grip fully. still looks cool, but wheels/tires are much more expensive in 18". Up to you. A lot of guys chiming in on sticking with a 225/255 17" stagger, and its not a bad one I agree, certainly on a stock s2k. But your also talking to someone who does not have a stock s2k and appreciates the value in running a wide set up on this car, which it absolutely can make use of. Its not particularly a light weight car, so added width is beneficial. certainly if it allows you to back off on the soft compound for the street yet maintain the grip of a higher compound in a skinnier width. Compound does makes a big difference, compound plus added width makes the biggest difference. Depends on what your goals are for maxing the performance of the platform or not. But again if your running stock spring rates, the added grip wont be fully utilized.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by S_DosMil
Originally Posted by MikeekiM' timestamp='1444176047' post='23768175
[quote name='Chuck S' timestamp='1444174863' post='23768152']

-- Chuck
Thanks!

I have the Michelin PSS and they have yet to let me down.
[/quote]

Cool...thanks for the feedback... the RE71R and the Michelin PSS are at the top of my list!
Old 10-08-2015, 02:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Honestly if you want a meating look tire get the Dunlop Direzza's in 255. The actual measured tread width is wider than the RE-71r's and the Michelin PSS.

Quick Reply: Newbie from Clublexus and now an S2000 owner with question regarding wheels.