S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

POV DIY video series - Your suggestions needed!

Old 09-27-2015, 11:06 AM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Default POV DIY video series - Your suggestions needed!

Hi all. There was another user here a few years ago named ZentRose that made some short, concise DIY videos for the S2000. Unfortunately he's been in and out of s2000s and stopped making DIY videos for our platform. I found his videos useful and want to carry on his legacy by making some DIY videos myself. DIY threads are only as good as the descriptions and the pictures and the pictures often disappear as hosting services shut down. I feel that DIY videos make DIY projects even more approachable to people hesitant to perform DIYs.

Right now I've released the following DIYs.
- IACV Clean
- Trunk Latch ReplacementHalf Shaft Spacer Install
- Clutch Master Cylinder Replacement
- Front Brake Rotor Replacement
- Clutch Fluid Gravity Bleed
- Differential Fluid Flush
- Half Shaft Spacer Install
- Brake Fluid Gravity Bleed
- Compression Test
- Oil Change
- Radar Detector Hardwire
- VTEC Gasket Replacement
- Leakdown Test
- Valve Retainer Inspection
- Rear Axle Nut TSB
- Rear Coilover Suspension
- Oil Level Check & Tips

Right now I plan to film the following DIYs.
- Clutch pedal freeplay adjustment
- Basics? (Oil/Trans/Diff/Clutch/Brake bleed as they arise)
- Brake Pads (When I retire my Winmax W5s)
- Your suggestions.....

I've made this thread to look for suggestions and feedback.

I am willing to perform suggestions if they are relevant to what I'll be doing with my car. Otherwise I can perform work on volunteer cars as long as I get to film the process. I'm located in the Bay area.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Probably the most significant one I can think of is valve adjustment. But it's a long process so keeping it short and digestible will be a challenge.
Old 09-27-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Habitforming
Probably the most significant one I can think of is valve adjustment. But it's a long process so keeping it short and digestible will be a challenge.
Added it to the list. I've done this one twice now myself so I can probably do a DIY for it.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:50 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Very interested in this and will certainly be returning to watch the videos that you release.

My car is in the shop today getting the valves adjusted because I didn't want to deal with the hassle of doing it myself. A video walk through might have changed that

Nevertheless, goodluck!
Old 09-28-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

There are at least a couple of YouTube videos on S2000 valve adjustment. No need to duplicate their efforts.

Same with the fluid changes although all I found were still photos.

-- Chuck
Old 09-28-2015, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
There are at least a couple of YouTube videos on S2000 valve adjustment. No need to duplicate their efforts.

Same with the fluid changes although all I found were still photos.

-- Chuck
I looked at the videos. There is a 42 min long one, not very good. Then there is a decent one that is ~7 minutes long and split into 4 parts but is 7 years old I think I can do better than this.
Old 09-28-2015, 09:36 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

This sounds very good!

How about:

1.) Resetting steering torque sensor.

2.) Replacing belt & pulleys/bearings.

3.) Battery and alternator fixes.

4.) Replacing headlight and taillights.

5.) Adjusting handbrakes.

6.) R&R seats.

7.) R&R steering wheel.

8.) R&R all radiator hoses.

9.) R&R starter and alternator.

10.) R&R driveshaft and half-shafts.

Just to name a few...

Old 09-28-2015, 11:53 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

A high quality video for DIY is good if it follows the factory service manual or, perhaps, some of the guidance from the (few) accepted experts here. Videos "the way I do it" may not be the best advice.

5 minutes is really all that's needed for a valve adjustment video. Seen one valve, seen 'em all!

Perhaps a modular approach? Removing and replacing the valve cover. Removing and replacing spark plugs (no need to repeat removing the valve cover). Adjusting valves (no need...).

Got access to AP1 and AP2 cars? DBW cars and cable cars?
Old 09-28-2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
A high quality video for DIY is good if it follows the factory service manual or, perhaps, some of the guidance from the (few) accepted experts here. Videos "the way I do it" may not be the best advice.

5 minutes is really all that's needed for a valve adjustment video. Seen one valve, seen 'em all!

Perhaps a modular approach? Removing and replacing the valve cover. Removing and replacing spark plugs (no need to repeat removing the valve cover). Adjusting valves (no need...).

Got access to AP1 and AP2 cars? DBW cars and cable cars?
I agree. The last thing I want to do is give the wrong information to people so I am going to be very careful about the content that goes into my videos. For the DIYs I'm doing I'm already essentially following existing DIYs here on s2ki. For important things I don't film DIYs for things on my first go.

A modular approach is definitely the way I want to go about performing DIYs with increasing difficulty. I would probably split removing/replacing the valve cover into another video since this will precede future DIYs (valve cover refinish, camshaft replacement, head removal, etc).

At my house I have access to 2 AP1s, and a 2005 AP2 so no DBW, unless someone wants to volunteer their car. I've already reached out to some people in the bay area facebook group and may have some volunteers within the next month or so.

Quick Reply: POV DIY video series - Your suggestions needed!