New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

LIme Rock

Old 10-04-2015, 06:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default LIme Rock

My son raced our S2000 at the SCCA NARRC (North Atlantic Road Racing Championship) race this past Friday and Saturday. He qualified on Friday before it started raining with a 1:00.9 taking the pole. It rained for the afternoon qualifying session. My son had not driven the car in the rain, previously, so we put the rain tires on and he went out for the experience. He kept it on the track and got into the 1:15s. As a comparison, a GTL Mini got into the 1:12s.

For the race, he lead for the first lap, but a Caterham got past him in big bend on the second lap. Caterham was on new tires, we were on tires with 6 and 7 heat cycles. It was about 51 degrees during the race, so soft sticky tires are an advantage. Caterham was over a second slower in qualifying with tires with 5 heat cycles. At the start of the 5th lap, he could not find 3rd gear in big bend. Went back to 4th gear, but tried 3rd again for the left hander, but still would not go. Would then not go into 4th. He coasted up the hill and was able to get it into 2nd to make it back to pit lane. Tried different gears in the pit, but would not go anywhere and just stalled when clutch was let out. Even did that in neutral. Had to get towed in while holding the clutch pedal in, so it would roll. This tranny is toast.

This tranny was in for 3 seasons doing double duty, with both my son and me driving in different classes for race weekends. There have been missed shifts and shifts from 5th to 2nd (instead of 4th), resulting in spins. It had about 17000 miles on it when we put it in, but was from a crashed car, so it may have been previously damaged. Adding transmission replacement to my winter project list.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Joe

I've read your posts the last few years love your windshieldless racer. I've done about 100 HPDE's but retired from that scene a few years back and never managed to do W2W. After missing one too many 2nd to 3rd shifts and catching 5th instead making the transition to the uphill at NHMS I lost the ability to shift into 6th. I think it needs a bushing replacement. This is an AP1 unit and I'm guessing you're running an AP2. If interested, you can have it free of charge. It would need to be picked up at my son's house in Bedford, NH.

Regards, Cal
Old 10-09-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Thnks2u
Hi Joe

I've read your posts the last few years love your windshieldless racer. I've done about 100 HPDE's but retired from that scene a few years back and never managed to do W2W. After missing one too many 2nd to 3rd shifts and catching 5th instead making the transition to the uphill at NHMS I lost the ability to shift into 6th. I think it needs a bushing replacement. This is an AP1 unit and I'm guessing you're running an AP2. If interested, you can have it free of charge. It would need to be picked up at my son's house in Bedford, NH.

Regards, Cal
Thanks for the offer. I am using an AP1 tranny, per the SCCA rules. I will keep it in mind if I am going to be in that area.
Old 10-10-2015, 03:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ap 1 trany for free? If you need it gone for space I've been looking for an ap1 with longer gears for auto x and would come pic it up lol