S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help me identify this problem

Old 10-04-2015, 09:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me identify this problem

Ok...

First let me say I'm not even close to a car guy but I wanted an S2k for years and now I'm learning.

That said...

My Car:
2000 AP1 purchased a few weeks ago. Supercharged, Novi 1000, 4" pulley (I think), 4lbs psi, Catback (?), Test pipe, AEM EMS v2 (purchased after I got the car). Don't know anything else about the car. Dyno'd it 237whp. Which really sucks I'm told.

The car was smoking a little on the Dyno from the breather hose and the tuner told me I need "pistons and rods". I asked him what makes him say that and he just said trust me. A friend of mine told me I probably only need valve seals. He told me to think about it but it was okay to drive it home. Since then I haven't driven it much bummed out because I felt like I purchased a lemon. I changed the oil and drove it for the past couple of days and everything seems fine except for every now and then at a light I will get a cloud of white smoke out of the exhaust at a stop light. One time it was heavy but the few other times they have been really light. But there is also a smell that goes along with it. I can't put my finger on it. It might be burning oil. I've only punched it a few times. One of my friends told me not to worry, that the engine wasn't knocking so I should be okay. I want to put a smaller pulley to make more boost but I'm scared to do that because I don't know if my engine is running the way it's supposed to.

I haven't done a compression test or a leak down test. Mainly because I don't know how and even if I did I don't have the time right now.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what it could be? I'm really scared that I'm going to blow the motor.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:09 PM

Get a leakdown test done.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:10 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

You may not need rods, but the pistons sound like they are toast. You described all the symptoms of a fried rings. Never buy a boosted car UNLESS you can prove without a doubt that everything is sound IE perform leak down and comp test, your hip on the car as well as the FI kit and EMS being used and can verify the car is running with at least a proper afr etc.

Seeing smoke/vapor coming out of the valve cover breather is the dead give away your engine is toast. This is whats referred to as "blow by" Its unburnt gases being pushed past your rings and circulating through the bottom end and out a ventilation/exit point other then the combustion/exhaust. You may not need con rods, but definitely at minimum would need a re hone of the block and pistons/rings. Typically the more economical solution is to just drop in a used complete engine. These can be typically had for $3-4k depending on mileage. and another $1000 for install. I would try and find a motor with less then 60k miles. Less the better, but they are getting hard to come by. Id take this opportunity to upgrade to a 04-05 F22. Out of the box they are a better performing and reliably sound engine. They have all the updates the F series needed as well as the added trq the F20 lacks stock. And for a non car guy an engine that inherently does not burn any oil is a benefit. F20 are notorious for going through oil, and some severe enough to be prematurely destroyed if not checked regularly.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
You may not need rods, but the pistons sound like they are toast. You described all the symptoms of a fried rings. Never buy a boosted car UNLESS you can prove without a doubt that everything is sound IE perform leak down and comp test, your hip on the car as well as the FI kit and EMS being used and can verify the car is running with at least a proper afr etc.

Seeing smoke/vapor coming out of the valve cover breather is the dead give away your engine is toast. This is whats referred to as "blow by" Its unburnt gases being pushed past your rings and circulating through the bottom end and out a ventilation/exit point other then the combustion/exhaust. You may not need con rods, but definitely at minimum would need a re hone of the block and pistons/rings. Typically the more economical solution is to just drop in a used complete engine. These can be typically had for $3-4k depending on mileage. and another $1000 for install. I would try and find a motor with less then 60k miles. Less the better, but they are getting hard to come by. Id take this opportunity to upgrade to a 04-05 F22. Out of the box they are a better performing and reliably sound engine. They have all the updates the F series needed as well as the added trq the F20 lacks stock. And for a non car guy an engine that inherently does not burn any oil is a benefit. F20 are notorious for going through oil, and some severe enough to be prematurely destroyed if not checked regularly.
Thanks very much. I'll start looking into a motor. Will my Comptech Supercharger work with the F22?