S2000 CR Club Racer Edition CR stands for "club racer," conjuring up the good old days when guys drove their sports cars to the track, raced them, and then, if the racing gods were smiling, drove them home again

CR Suspension Replacement

Old 11-08-2015, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

After a month and a half wait I got my shocks like a wk ago
Old 11-11-2015, 06:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LDfavoriteson
After a month and a half wait I got my shocks like a wk ago

Did you get a full set?

I just installed the Ohlins dfv today after having them sit for a month.

First impressions after riding on the CR stock suspension for 5 years.

Please note I started off with the manufacture recommended 10 clicks from full stiff.

The ride was very plush.. the suspension absorbed the bumps very well, the car was not hopping over bumps as my late stock suspension making the car very unpredictable. So plus there, however it was just to soft, steering was responsive but it is very light and does not provide much feedback when turning compared to the CR's stock.

I decided to set the dampers to a stiffer setting so I went to 6 clicks from stiff.

This was comparable to the CR's stock ride quality but the springs just feel too soft. It did give a little better steering feed back at this level but still not at the level of the stock CR. ( I will be going with stiffer springs in the spring time.)

These are my first impressions thus far I have only driven about 50 miles of tight windy back roads. I will be getting a regular alignment soon then get a performance alignment in the spring with stiffer springs. This is definitely an improvement over a worn stock struts.

I will say Patrick at Urgedesigns.com is a great guy very helpful, strong customer service skills. I do not recall the last place that gave me a call after the sale to make sure I am happy with the product, also I called without leaving a voice message as received a call back minutes later.

I will post back after I have racked up some miles.

to Patrick@urgedesigns.com
Old 11-12-2015, 08:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^
I got the front and rear cr shocks. I have an 05 so the cr shocks should be an upgrade for me. I didn't get the springs because I plan on pairing the shocks with eibachs.
Old 12-21-2015, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I desperately want a factory CR suspension! I still need to purchase the sway bars and the rear shocks, but as discussed here already, the rears are discontinued and production has ceased! I even reached out to the Japanese company who made the shocks, and they pretty much told me to pound sand. Jerks. So I'm wondering what to do! I will not purchase used parts...

So is the general consensus that the AP1's will work as a replacement?? I need data.. something to convince me that it is an acceptable compromise that will yield CR performance. If AP1 shocks won't do it, what aftermarket shock can I pair with my 08CR Springs? Someone must know...

Help me out, brothers!
Old 12-22-2015, 03:55 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Sell the springs and get coilovers. I don't think you will be a happy with Koni's or similar mated to CR springs. I'm sure if you search forums you can find some answers on that combo like this.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/111...-koni-yellows/
Old 12-22-2015, 09:01 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by SpunSquirrel
I desperately want a factory CR suspension! I still need to purchase the sway bars and the rear shocks, but as discussed here already, the rears are discontinued and production has ceased! I even reached out to the Japanese company who made the shocks, and they pretty much told me to pound sand. Jerks. So I'm wondering what to do! I will not purchase used parts...

So is the general consensus that the AP1's will work as a replacement?? I need data.. something to convince me that it is an acceptable compromise that will yield CR performance. If AP1 shocks won't do it, what aftermarket shock can I pair with my 08CR Springs? Someone must know...

Help me out, brothers!
Again, it's hard to believe that Honda would D/C production of a part like that. They normally make parts for about 10 yrs. However, as has happened many times in the past, there won't be any parts in the US and then everybody starts talking about how they've ceased production, but nobody that says this really has any inside knowledge at all. Then, after a few weeks or months, they start coming into the country again.

It's also extremely doubtful that anybody you could get ahold of at Showa would know anything either. The only person I would trust there is the marketing manager who deals with parts sales for Honda's D/C models. Otherwise its just a bunch of people taking crap

There is also some "new" information that the JDM Type S actually came with an option for an adjustable shock, probably made by Showa. See this post:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/818...t__p__23829727

Here is a Google-translated version of some Type-S info I found on Honda's Japan site years ago (sorry, didn't capture the link). Text in square brackets is my translation of phrases for which Google only provided phonetcs.

Sports Suspension
- Lowdown amount, set to approximately 10mm standard car.
- The suspension offers a wide range of concepts in a scene from the winding circuit.
- To that end, the front suspension uses adjustable damping force, rather than focusing on setting certain driving conditions, seeking suspension of the performance of various driving scenes.
- Vertical speed of convergence after a small bump in the line survived and the stability of behavior that is, stable cornering and traction in high-rise at the corner exit, so that the suspension and driving enjoyment.

- Damping adjustment knob type 5 (front only)
- Danpamaunto [damper mount] of the control knob located in the engine room, one (a light steering feel) and 5 (solid steering feel.) Can be selected to suit conditions and driving up.

Spring + Danpasetto [damper setter] ¥ 157,500 (without tax ¥ 150,000)
※ Height is approximately 10mm lower standard setting. (Vehicle equipment may cause the difference by design.)
※ Notification requirements modified because it is not product safety requirements. Shaken by the state are attached.

It goes on to highlight the rear strakes, front spoiler and rear wing, and the weight-saving features (spare tire replaced with puncture kit, rear wing is hollow).
Old 12-23-2015, 06:54 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

SpunSquirrel I wouldn't thumb my nose at used parts, you can still find ultra low mileage CR suspension pieces if you are diligent about looking for them. It's possible to find sub 1k mile complete struts, etc even to this day. Post within the WTB thread on S2KI, even the CR forum you might get lucky. I would try the other Honda related sites as well as they often have CR parts and are pretty unaware of their true value.

Good hunting.

~Steven
Old 12-28-2015, 05:12 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

How about Spoon fixed dampers. I've never used them but one S2000 owner told me they were fantastic on his car.
Old 12-31-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

When I got my complete CR strut assemblies several years ago, the pricing was not much more than the shocks and springs. If the separate shocks are out of stock, you might look into the whole assembly as there may be some inventory left.