S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Laptimes of ohlins dfv

Old 10-09-2015, 12:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Laptimes of ohlins dfv

Seen a lot of talk lately on the DFV's...I'm curios about lap times at various tracks compared to S2000 with other setups like KW clubsports, BC racing, hks or Tein SRC, etc.

Hopefully someone can chime in with what they've seen to find out the relatively best bang for the buck suspension out there in terms of actual results and lap times. Hopefully there is someone that has experience on multiple of these on the same car!

I know every car setup and condition is different, but it will generally give us an idea or ballpark of where these are competitively.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I do not have much of the experience you are looking for but I would like to add a little something I found out after having purchased mine.

The valving has been fantastic so far but they do not seem to get as low in the rear as many of the very fast cars I've seen. There are a few threads floating around here about how to get them low in the rear but at the sacrifice of bump travel or having the skyrocket your spring rates.
Old 10-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It will be almost impossible to get an accurate answer to your question because there are just too many variables with the biggest being the driver. Basically anything short of a professional driver doing same day back to back testing with perfectly consistent weather/track conditions and adjusting the fuel load after each run will likely result in wildly inaccurate data.

The best bang for the buck is also highly subjective since different people have different budgets and prioritize different things. It also depends on where an how the car is being used- the 2-way adjustability of some dampers are seen as a huge benefit in most cases but in competitions a single adjustable setup frees up more points for you to apply to some other part of the car. Additionally as you mentioned car setup will have a lot to do with how many other supporting modifications have been done but mostly the wheel and tire package. However, given the options you listed it seems to be you are looking at some of the better options to buy below any of the entry level motorsport grade dampers.

In this range we love the Öhlins DFV but feel like it is under sprung with the standard valving and spring rates for majority of the S2000 track setups focused on lap times. However, we are in the process of bringing in our own custom spec DFVs which are re-valved for 14kg/mm front and rear. The valving can handle spring rate changes up to ~30% in either direction as well which means guys have more flexibility. The idea is to offer the best track/aggressive street suspension outside of the motorsport category.

I'm sure many are already familiar with the Öhlins DFV but there was a cool video released yesterday by EVO that does a good job illustrating some of the benefits to a quality damper. Check it out: [media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCJQ6GxfwFc[/media]

-Matt M.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:24 PM

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Great video!
Old 10-11-2015, 07:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think user TWF would be a good resource. I believe he tracked the DFV's pretty hard for a while on 700/600. Also, user Mike_SG (or something like that) is currently tracking them.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I now have TWF Ohlin and loving it. I run 550/600 springs. It does not bounce at all nice smooth like stock feel. But absorb nicely in the turn. No more track day this year. Next year got to try this on the track.
Old 10-11-2015, 06:50 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by tcjensen
I think user TWF would be a good resource. I believe he tracked the DFV's pretty hard for a while on 700/600. Also, user Mike_SG (or something like that) is currently tracking them.
not the DFV's. They were the older line(Flag S, I think was the name)
Old 10-12-2015, 05:09 AM

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

SHG_Mike has the DFVs with 700lb front and the original fronts moved to the rear.

I agree with others that out of the box they'll be fast but they are undersprung for a track focused setup. I wish out of the box they had about 100lbs more spring under them but I understand they were designed to also have road comfort in mind.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
Originally Posted by tcjensen' timestamp='1444577207' post='23772261
not the DFV's. They were the older line(Flag S, I think was the name)
Thanks they are Flag-S
Old 10-12-2015, 05:52 PM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedFreaksUSA
However, we are in the process of bringing in our own custom spec DFVs which are re-valved for 14kg/mm front and rear. The valving can handle spring rate changes up to ~30% in either direction as well which means guys have more flexibility. The idea is to offer the best track/aggressive street suspension outside of the motorsport category.
excited to hear more!

Quick Reply: Laptimes of ohlins dfv