S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Compresssion test

Old 10-12-2015, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compresssion test

I did a compression test on my 02 s2k and got 220 on all 4 cylinders. Then I did a wet test and all 4 cylinders jumped to around 270. Just verifying this most likely means all the oil rings on my cylinders are shot?
Old 10-13-2015, 02:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

what is the reason your doing the test? Is there a reason that makes you suspect your rings are shot?
Old 10-13-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

You're nearly perfect. Especially for a 13 year old car. Don't fix what ain't broken,

228 psi is the "nominal" pressure. Cylinders plus/minus 28 psi.

-- Chuck
Old 10-13-2015, 07:07 PM

I'm having excessive oil consumption and smoke out the exhaust on WOT. Just a little embarrassing leaving a smoke screen every time I gun it.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:32 PM

What color is the smoke? What modifications are you running? How much oil are you burning?
Old 10-14-2015, 12:21 AM

When I see the smoke through my mirrors it looks white, which is usually coolant. The only time I really see it through my mirrors is at night and all I see is smoke not a real distinct color. My coolant levels are fine and haven't dropped at all. However when a friend sees the smoke they tell me it's black, which is fuel usually running rich. However when I hit VTEC and then come to a stop I get a strong burnt oil smell. I'm burning around a quart every 600-800 miles. Only mod that might affect it is my aftermarket full exhaust with testpipe.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Compression test doesn't tell too much. Leak down test is what will tell you a heck of a lot more. A lot of times a compression test can be 100% fine, even when there is a serious problem.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:16 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

How much oil did you put in the cyl. for the wet test? A jump of 50 psi is a lot and as what has been said before 220 is only 8 psi off of a fresh engine +/- 28 psi. How many miles on your car? I would also do a leak down test. One qt. every 600/800 miles is quite a bit and I would think at that rate of use you should be able to see it. My '97 Honda uses oil but I know right where to find it, just have to look at the pavement after I park the car. LOL

ROD
Old 10-14-2015, 10:24 AM

Not to thread jack but I did't want to make another compression thread if one is already newly created. If the admins want me to make a new thread then lmk and I will do so. Anyways, I have a 2000 S2000 and I was planning on going turbo next spring so I went ahead and doubled checked the current state that my motor is in and it doesn't seem good. My readings are:

cylinder 4 - 150
cylinder 3 - 125
cylinder 2 - 110
cylinder 1 - 115

Plus I keep having a reoccurring cell for misfire from all cylinders. It comes and turns off by itself if the car sits for a while. Now, there must be a difference between a compression that's not undergoing combustion and one that's undergoing combustion correct? Reason why I'm asking is because the car pulls pretty strong still. My buddy has a ap1 just like me and his compression is steady at 170 across all cylinders but I pull on him after vtec hits in first gear. Though it could be that his car is pretty much stock. Difference between our cars are that my car has a single exhaust with password jdm intake while his car has a aftermarket dual exhaust with stock intake. I injected oil into the cylinders but saw little to no increase in the compression. So my question is, should I yank this think out to do a full rebuild? My plans were to just build the head over the winter before going turbo. I am going to try to do a leak down test sometime this weekend but went out to talk to the shops around my area and they all just told me the same thing. "Rebuild your motor because all your rings are bad". The reason why I went out to talk to them was to have them do a leak down test for me because I don't have a compressor to do one with.
Old 10-14-2015, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by phyth
When I see the smoke through my mirrors it looks white, which is usually coolant. The only time I really see it through my mirrors is at night and all I see is smoke not a real distinct color. My coolant levels are fine and haven't dropped at all. However when a friend sees the smoke they tell me it's black, which is fuel usually running rich. However when I hit VTEC and then come to a stop I get a strong burnt oil smell. I'm burning around a quart every 600-800 miles. Only mod that might affect it is my aftermarket full exhaust with testpipe.
Do a leak down test as someone else stated; maybe that will give you more insight on the condition of the engine. I agree, that is a lot of oil being burned! A quart every 1000 miles seems to be considered more on the "normal" side. What type of oil are you using?

Quick Reply: Compresssion test