Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

S2000 vs. isF vs. M3

Old 10-29-2015, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2000 vs. isF vs. M3

I'd really hate to make this post on an s2000 forum but i'd hope I won't get too much hate

I'm looking into parting out my s2000 and buying either a IS-F or an e92 M3. The reasons for doing the trade is, I've recently just been craving a V8 engine with more torque and power, and i'm getting tired fixing up my s2000...

In order for me to be happy with my s2000 at the end of the day, i'm going to need the following parts
HKS Supercharger
Upgraded Brakes
A new paintjob (Mine is kinda messed up)
Better fitting wheels

The question is, is it worth it? i've already invested well over $12,000 into my s2000 and i'm going to need a lot more, and will spend a lot more modifying it. Should I just buy an IS-F / M3 and do light mods (Exhaust, coilovers, intake, headers, drop, rims)? I need your guys opinions/feedback

My S2000's Current Specs and Mods:
-23k Miles 2004 AP2
-Lamborghini Yellow
-Voltex Wing
-Custom Front Widebody Fenders
-Asm Bumper
-Voltex Type 2 Wing
-TE37SL (White)
-Oem Hardtop
-HKS HiperMax IV SP
-J's Racing 70RR

Cheers! Don't troll me too hard haha.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd go with an M3. Not a fan of Lexus'. M3 is sportier, better looking and faster. If you don't feel like it's worth modding, then it isn't. personally i'd stick to the s2k and keep modding it, that's only because it's my dream car.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

What's the purpose of the car? Daily driver? Track toy? Do you have another car?

Without knowing the above, the ISF is a drift-mobile, has a lot more torque than the M3, but a bit cumbersome on track. The M3 makes for a much better track car than the ISF, but its under-tired stock and needs 275-square or 275/295 tires to not destroy them in a weekend. It's a much livelier chassis and a great car.

I'd pick a C63 AMG over an ISF. More torque than both, a better track car than the ISF, and sounds badass.

...or a 2015 Mustang which is faster than the M3, has more torque, can get 400whp easily from intake and tune, and has a warranty.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Amaritpal
I'd go with an M3. Not a fan of Lexus'. M3 is sportier, better looking and faster. If you don't feel like it's worth modding, then it isn't. personally i'd stick to the s2k and keep modding it, that's only because it's my dream car.
I would have to disagree Japanese v8s are fierce!!! and the ISF is no exception I love ISF's super easy to work on and will last forever... BMW sucks... especially buying them used with over 75k miles. Expect new tools and being very annoyed working on one.. My vote would be an ISF. I currently have a 08 IS350 that i love and the 3.5 306 hp feels my cringe of a daily grinder... But i also have an hks supercharged S. Maybe try and keep the S and get a v8 daily if possible.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by profit_child
Originally Posted by Amaritpal' timestamp='1446155793' post='23789832
I would have to disagree Japanese v8s are fierce!!! and the ISF is no exception I love ISF's super easy to work on and will last forever... BMW sucks... especially buying them used with over 75k miles. Expect new tools and being very annoyed working on one.. My vote would be an ISF. I currently have a 08 IS350 that i love and the 3.5 306 hp feels my cringe of a daily grinder... But i also have an hks supercharged S. Maybe try and keep the S and get a v8 daily if possible.
how do you like the power of your hks supercharger?
yes maintenance would be easier on the is-f i agree. im not a huge fan of bmw either, but if i had to pick between the two id go with the m3 because it comes in a coupe and a manual.
Old 10-29-2015, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd go ISF honestly its in a completely different league than the S. I mean honestly though it really boils down to what you want out of the car. Seems you're headed for a more track approach based on your mods and the S is perfect for that. If you just want a sporty daily driver to have fun on occasion then ISF would be my choice. But, as said above the new 5.0 is hard to beat out of the box with the warranty and hp and modding capabilities.
Also doesn't seem too bad around the track given a few minor mods.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:34 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

To say an ISF is "in a completely different league" than an S2000, I mean, yeah, from a numbers perspective I guess. It's also a completely different type of car... apples and oranges. IMO, the S2000 is still more fun to drive than an ISF (yes, I've driven one and I really liked it), and that's my main concern. It should be fairly easy to choose between an S2000 and an ISF or M3 based on your needs and 2-3 factors.
Old 10-29-2015, 04:44 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by mongomery1234
I'd go ISF honestly its in a completely different league than the S. I mean honestly though it really boils down to what you want out of the car. Seems you're headed for a more track approach based on your mods and the S is perfect for that. If you just want a sporty daily driver to have fun on occasion then ISF would be my choice. But, as said above the new 5.0 is hard to beat out of the box with the warranty and hp and modding capabilities.
Also doesn't seem too bad around the track given a few minor mods.
ISF is faster at Nurburgring than S2000 (although this track favors high HP) in 2007. Later iterations of the ISF is even more track worthy. Not a fair comparison given that the car was designed 10 years later and has way more HP.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:20 PM

Why aren't you considering a Corvette? I am not sure what your budget is but you could even pick up a C5Z if your budget is high teens low 20s. Any more and you can get a C6 some prefer the C5Z though.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:03 PM

I didn't pay much attention to the ISF untill I got to drive one a month ago. As a street car the ISF would be my first pick. IMO the ISF looks better inside and out, the seats feel amazing, more reliable, cheaper to maintain.

I cant tell how it is on the track but I feel like many people prioritize track capabilities when in reality they will be driving 99% on the road. From what I head though, e92 has a much better chassis for the track.

Quick Reply: S2000 vs. isF vs. M3