New England S2000 Owners New England S2000 Owners

Need help choosing a suspension setup

Old 11-11-2015, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing a suspension setup

Hello everyone
I'm looking to upgrade my suspension but have no idea which setup I want to buy. Before I commit to one (springs w konis or coilovers) I would like to take a ride in a variety of setups to narrow my focus. I am located in West Hartford, CT. Even though it is late in the season, does anyone mind meeting up so I can feel out the options? Not asking to test drive, just ride shotgun.

-S
Old 11-14-2015, 07:02 AM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

I have some KW v3's but you'll have to wait till spring to see what they're like.

Before you go about testing suspension, figure out what your end goal is - Daily use and just nicer ride height, track/daily, track only, etc. Also figure out what your budget is and whether you're thinking new or used.

I think based on that your short list will be pretty small.

If ride-ability and comfort are on the top of your list KW's v1/2 would be my top options. Bilstein PSS or PSS9s as second option.

Something that's still comfortable on the street but more track oriented would be the KW v3s.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have PSS9's and they have served me well over the uh.. rough.. new england roads
Old 12-08-2015, 09:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I have koni yellows with swift springs. Rides nicely, and is adjustable. The downside is drilling out the rose bushings and dust boots to accommodate the larger diameter shaft in the konis. Not a deal breaker, but not plug and play. They eat through hss drill bits. I'd offer you a ride, but I'm dealing with some slight issues that would detract from your experience.
Old 12-14-2015, 12:58 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by volvo850r
Hello everyone
I'm looking to upgrade my suspension but have no idea which setup I want to buy. Before I commit to one (springs w konis or coilovers) I would like to take a ride in a variety of setups to narrow my focus. I am located in West Hartford, CT. Even though it is late in the season, does anyone mind meeting up so I can feel out the options? Not asking to test drive, just ride shotgun.

-S

Great approach to the suspension modification bug. Do NOT eliminate the stock set-up from your list of choices. I think it is hard to beat. IMHO, many people spend money to make their car ride and handle worse than stock.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:41 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My eibach springs arnt bad they ride really nice and give it a good stance. I'd be willing to sell them once I get my new kwv3
Old 02-29-2016, 07:06 PM

Thanks for the insight guys. I think once the nicer weather comes I'll re-evaluate the suspension options. I do love the stock ride but want something a tad bit lower and am not willing to spend cash making my car handle worse. Eibachs are on my list as a temporary solution, with a end goal of either PSS/PSS9 or KWV3.
Old 03-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The main question when I was debating the same option you are was use. If I was going to only steer it I would have gone the bilsteins but I'm planing on autox hill climb and track use mainly so I went with the kwv3 with some different spring rates
Old 03-01-2016, 05:37 PM

Don't forget <$1000 coilovers like BC racing coilovers. 10k/10k F/R spring rates and adjustable rebound damping. I happen to be selling mine so pm me if you might be interested.
Old 03-02-2016, 06:09 AM

I'm running Skunk2 springs with Koni Yellows. Ride is decent but nothing near stock quality. More for looks. After some research I will be throwing on Swift SpecR Springs with my Koni yellows. I've read that setup is very close to stock feel with a nice drop. the CR shocks/Swift SpecR setup however is favored. I would've gone that route if I hadn't spent the money on the Koni yellows. Hope my imput helps

Quick Reply: Need help choosing a suspension setup