UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Headlight Problem

Old 11-24-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Problem

Over the last couple of weeks i have noticed my drivers side headlamp flickering now and then. Today on the way home from work it started flickering again but after about 5 seconds it went completely off. I switched my lights off and on quickly and it came back on but went off again a few minutes later. When i got home i flicked them off and on again and i came back on. I had a quick check under the bonnet and checked the connectors and it all looked ok, it was dark so i will check again tomorrow when its light. Anybody else had a similar problem?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2015, 01:33 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Ballast is on the way out, had the same.
Old 11-24-2015, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by richmc
Hi thanks for the reply, should have searched first before posting. i found a thread saying that i have water in the ballast. To fix I have to dry it out with compressed air and slicone the wire. Going to give it a try the weekend and hopefully it sorts it.
Old 11-24-2015, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Nick_K
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1448404388' post='23811878
Hi thanks for the reply, should have searched first before posting. i found a thread saying that i have water in the ballast. To fix I have to dry it out with compressed air and slicone the wire. Going to give it a try the weekend and hopefully it sorts it.
The ballast is neigh on impossible to get open without destroying it, better to get a replacement from eBay. To give yourself some peace of mind you could swap then side to side to prove it's the case, the HT start up lead can sometimes cause issues, just in case. Before you work on them remove both relays and fuses, very high voltages there.
Old 11-25-2015, 07:30 AM

Thanks I will order one tonight, is there a certain one for each side or are they both the same?
Old 11-25-2015, 09:56 PM

Thanks I will order one tonight, is there a certain one for each side or are they both the same?
Both sides are exactly the same hence my suggestion you swap bits over to check.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:26 AM

Fitted a used one i got from another member on here, took it for a spin a little while ago and it's still flickering and then went off. Will try and swap with my side that is working to confirm if it's the ballast or not in the week if i can get out of work before it's dark. If it's not the ballast what else could cause this problem.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:29 AM

Did you change the cable as well, or just the ballast? The cable is also the starter.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:32 AM

Just the ballast at the minute, if i still flickers with my ballast from my working side it most likely the cable. question is which one as there is 2 connected.
Old 11-29-2015, 07:29 AM

Just the ballast at the minute, if i still flickers with my ballast from my working side it most likely the cable. question is which one as there is 2 connected.
It's the armored one from the ballast to the bulb, that contains the starter I believe.

Quick Reply: Headlight Problem