S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

S2K challenge 2016 Discussion

Old 02-16-2016, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys,

I wanted to address some issues I've found in version 2016.01.12 of the rules (accessed at http://www.speedventures.com/the-lin...enge-Rules.pdf on 2/16/2016).

1*-2.3 The following modifications are not allowed in Stock Class... Light*weight aftermarket parts.
This is not enforceable without defining what lightweight is. Being such a broad statement, it seems rather unwieldy.

1-*3.4 The following modifications are not allowed in Street Class:
Level 2 Front Aero
Level 3 Rear Wing
Forced Induction
Level 2 or 3 R*-Compound Tires
This does not explicitly disallow Level 4 Rear Wings which I believe to be intended.

1*-4.3 Level 1 R*-compound Tires are allowed in Modified Class.
Are Level 2 and 3? Rules should state what is disallowed.

1‐7 NOVICE COMPETITION PROGRAM
This class is designed for newcomers to the S2K Challenge. Novices will still compete in their
respective classes, and score appropriate points within that class. There will be a separate
competition among Novice Program participants, which will be based on a PAX system, where 1
point is equivalent to a 0.5 second penalty.
1*-8.1 Novice Class Eligibility:
One must have attended fewer than 3 S2KC events.
One must run in beginner or low*intermediate group.
May not have any modification that result in automatic Unlimited classification, but may
have points exceeding Modified*R Class limits.
1*-8.2 Novice Class participants may be evaluated and moved out of Novice Class before his or her third
event at the S2K Challenge Advisory Board's discretion.
This should describe the handicap system. Also, it should describe how the program works over the course of the season. I.E. are novice points tracked over the whole season? Is there some indicator on the scoresheet that a driver is in the novice class? Is this still relevant?

Wheel Size Points Table
This table appears to be the old, lower resolution table. I am assuming that the newer, high resolution table is the one intended to be here.

2*-1.3 Power and Engine...
0.125 Any aftermarket non*ram*air intake system or modification to OEM intake
(includes cooling plate)
This is directly contradicted by this:

2*-1.6 Free Modifications...
0.00 Gutting of OEM airbox, any aftermarket intake filter
Not sure which one should be driving here but one needs to be removed.

3-*6.5 If a Competitor chooses to have a fire extinguisher on board while on track, it must be mounted
within reach of the driver while normally seated...
This aspect of the fire extinguisher rule incentivizes not running a fire extinguisher. Unless your insurance people know something I don't, it would make sense to me to encourage drivers to just have them mounted somewhere in the car.

4*-1.1 The most up*to*date version of these S2K Challenge
Regulations can be found at http://www.speedventures.com/competitions/.
This isn't accurate. The link currently sends you to SV's challenge website and then the S2k Challenge Facebook page.

Lastly, without going into every instance, there is some confusion as to what the names of the classes are. From what I gather, there were once modified-S and modified-R classes that are now known as modified and super modified. I'd get out the old "find and replace" command in word.

Hope this helps clean some of the mistakes up.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:49 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by loserwill
Hey guys,

I wanted to address some issues I've found in version 2016.01.12 of the rules (accessed at http://www.speedventures.com/the-lin...enge-Rules.pdf on 2/16/2016).

2*-1.3 Power and Engine...
0.125 Any aftermarket non*ram*air intake system or modification to OEM intake
(includes cooling plate)
This is directly contradicted by this:

2*-1.6 Free Modifications...
0.00 Gutting of OEM airbox, any aftermarket intake filter
Not sure which one should be driving here but one needs to be removed.

3-*6.5 If a Competitor chooses to have a fire extinguisher on board while on track, it must be mounted
within reach of the driver while normally seated...
This aspect of the fire extinguisher rule incentivizes not running a fire extinguisher. Unless your insurance people know something I don't, it would make sense to me to encourage drivers to just have them mounted somewhere in the car.

Hope this helps clean some of the mistakes up.
Good catches, all of these. I sent most of them along to the custodian of the rules with SV to get them remedied.

The last two above I can probably offer clarity on:

On the airbox one, there is no contradiction. "Gutting" the airbox is a documented mod and is indeed free. it adds no measurable power. Any other more clever modification such as cutting holes in the airbox, or modifying the airbox to use other filter element shapes that could add a performance enhancement is just covered by a blanket points value (more if a ram-air effect is produced)

The fire extinguisher rule wording is a hold-over from when we offered points credit for fire and restraint systems to encourage safety. It was a program that was before my time but my understanding was it was dropped due to over-gaming and overly clever people discussing using the extinguisher as ballast in the trunk etc. Really the car is small enough that everywhere is in reach pretty much except the trunk, engine bay and spare tire area. Ultimately in a fire situation you will want this reachable before you exit the vehicle anyway.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, newcomer here, i signed up for autocross in fontana on Sunday, since i missed the first round, will i be able to enter (non competitively) at the 2nd event?
Old 02-18-2016, 07:39 PM

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Cevin
hey guys, newcomer here, i signed up for autocross in fontana on Sunday, since i missed the first round, will i be able to enter (non competitively) at the 2nd event?
You can enter competitively at the 2nd event at Chuckwalla. The season is best 6 of 10.

Also if youll be at Fontana, we usually all get garages. I would encourage you drop by and meet the people. Its a great crowd. We should be pretty easy to find, or just ask registration where we are at.