UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Which clutch? - SC track use

Old 11-26-2015, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which clutch? - SC track use

I've searched and found differing suggestions and am surprised that the Competition Clutches offering isn't the go to choice.

Competition clutches make a very impressive clutch sold through Flyin Miata that has a better than OEM feel and is no heavier - put simply it's a delight to use. It's also been proven to reliably handle decent turbo power 250bhp+ without issue.

We are fitting a HKS supercharger kit to my car (F20 mx5) over winter and I'm looking for solid recommendations.
It's used mainly as a track car though I drive to and from the track and really don't like heavy and overly snatchy clutches.

Is the CC clutch disc with the standard pressure plate the way?
Old 11-27-2015, 12:02 AM

Hi Matt

Will here, I believe we met on a Cadwell trackday earlier on in the year

I have a CC stage 2 clutch which comes with a new pressure plate and release bearing, I would say it feels very slightly lighter than oem pressure but doesn't snatch, feels very oe.

I've had no issues with it and it handles the power of the HKS charger with no problems.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:17 AM

Hey Will, I do remember, good to put a face to a name.
Good to hear yours is performing well, have you done many miles on it?

I've read about a few CC pressure plate failures, is this something I should be concerned about?
Old 11-27-2015, 06:36 AM

I'm not entirely sure how many miles I've done, probably approx 2k? I only use it for trackdays and the odd sunny day. I do drive it hard on track though and have had no issues.

Personally haven't had any issues and wasn't aware of any pressure plate failures tbh, so can't really comment. Give Si at Hendy a shout that's where I got mine from, I realise he's a trader and probably wants to sell as many as possible, but he's an honest lad and happy to answer any questions.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:36 AM

Wrong way around in my previous post, it's the fiction disc that I've seen documented as failing.

Threads like this one:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...lutch-failure/
Old 11-28-2015, 12:17 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm holding off on one of these clutches for this very reason. So many quirks with these clutches, ACT clutches Rattle, CC throw springs, RPC rattle and SPEC clutches do!
Old 11-28-2015, 12:54 AM

All of them seem to have had there problems like you say, do wonder whether they have been fitted and aligned properly. Personally I'd go with a trader who you can trust and has a good track record if a genuine warranty claim is required.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:13 AM
Banned

We have had a lot of supercharged guys use the Spoon clutch, pressure plate and release bearing. Either go for the race passel or the organic. If daily I would take organic.

I use the paddle in my dc2 and it's fab for the track
Old 11-28-2015, 05:40 AM

Issue I've got, especially on my car is that the time and cost of replacement becomes a problem regardless of warranty replacement.

Trying my best to buy something with a rock solid reputation.

Any of the Spoon users had them on track cars for a few years, organic type?

The obvious suggestion for regular track use is to go for a paddle clutch but I know it's possible to make an organic clutch that will do the job properly, whether there's one available might be another matter...
Old 11-29-2015, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oem plate and release bearing with act pressure plate. Feels stock and handles s/c power no problems

Quick Reply: Which clutch? - SC track use