Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Seeking advice on this potential buy

Old 11-26-2015, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seeking advice on this potential buy

Hi all!

Complete newbie to the scene, going to take look at this 2007 NFR S2000 (linked below). I've done my research but wanted to get some opinions on the value of the car. One concern is that the carfax (provided on the listing) says it had 5 owners; I think 1 of them might be a dealership? Is the open recall of the brake master vacuum any concern? KBB shows value at around $22k but I get the feeling that it's slightly overpriced, can't figure out why carfax posts a price adjustment of +$820.

http://tinyurl.com/on3sgpe
Old 11-27-2015, 09:32 AM
Go2

Having a HT is a bonus, but other than that, the value is perceived by the buyer. 06+ model S2k were much lower production, so the value held will be greater than older model Ap1 and non DBW AP2. Unless this is the EXACT S2000 you want, maybe hold out? Or go into dealer and negotiate, negotiate, negotiate. Good luck
Old 11-27-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

$22K with the hard top is $19K without it and is priced where I'd expect it to be. Are you willing to let the car get away for $1000?

There should be no recall on the brake booster -- the car is parked at a Honda dealer who should have already done the inspection. That's a benefit of buying from a Honda dealer. Insist that it's documented.

What's the concern about owners? These are all used cars that have been discarded by their previous owners for one reason or another. Even the one-owner cars are discards. The car has been serviced by Honda dealers pretty exclusively.

For me the '06 and later cars are the most desirable. The '07 is very nice. DBW gets stability/traction control and a tuneable ECU. Hondata FlashPro and a Gernby tune will dramatically improve mid-rage power (and acceleration).

-- Chuck
Old 11-28-2015, 03:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is an issue free, accident free car, has a perfect soft top, and the hard top was OEM, I think it would be a good deal as priced at $21,000. See below though..

However, that is *not the OEM hardtop. Unless it is an *authentic* Mugen hardtop (most non OEM would be replicas), the hardtop isn't worth much over $1,000 as I've seen many on the used market for around that. And the fitment won't be as good as OEM either. An OEM hardtop with hardware in good shape is easily worth $3,000 though, but that there is not one. The replica hardtop is worth about the same as a new Robins soft top + installation (as long as you don't go to a Honda dealership, as it would be more for an OEM soft top + installation there..closer to $2,000). So do see if they can take the hard top off for you and prove the soft top isn't torn or in need of replacing.

Being a dealer car, the price should hopefully be somewhat negotiable.

I'd shoot for $19,000, and that's again assuming everything checks out. The car has a clean title, body and interior is in very good shape, and the car is in good mechanical shape.

Also, I'm not a fan of the s2000 badge being shaved on that car. Sometimes I like it, but for whatever reason not on that particular one. Just another reason to haggle the price, and make extra sure the car hasn't been repainted anywhere for any reason (if so try to find out why).

P.S. there is currently a silver stone 2007 Honda S2000 for sale from a private seller on craigslist with an OEM hardtop, for $20,000 even. That is the one I'd be checking out for sure. It does have 80,000 miles, but if in as good or better shape than the red one it is a better deal. The OEM hardtop is worth three times that of a replica top, and the owner is nearly the original owner--he bought it in 2008 with 6,000 miles on the car. So he could give you the full history from about the day it was purchased..

http://seattle.craig...5318088881.html --Posted 12 days ago from today.
Old 11-28-2015, 04:23 PM

Went to see the car today, turns out that one of the previous owners had taken the soft top out entirely. That's a deal breaker for me, especially at $22k. I also noticed that the replica hard top was squeaking/rattling quite badly, I knew that the hard top would have a little more rattle compared to a soft top but is it usual for a hardtop be pretty loud?
Old 11-28-2015, 06:51 PM
Go2

It's a replica, so they tend to have fitment issues to start. Doesn't matter who makes it or what style it's copying. You want a quiet top, get an OEM top. Finding an OEM top is tough though. If having a HT is a must, then be patient. You could always settle for a replica top, they just need more adjustments to eliminate all the squeaks and rattles.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:11 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

No soft top is a complete deal breaker for me too! I missed the "shaved" emblems someone pointed out as well as the hard top being non-OEM.

-- Chuck
Old 11-29-2015, 08:39 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Lol. I wouldn't count on the dealer being very eagle eyed here. It's missing the antenna which you'd think they would notice. No soft top sucks and yeah replica hardtop is meh. I am assuming it has the cheap aftermarket hardware to hold it in. Pair that with "winter sport" tires and 65k miles it's not a good buy. Everything considered it's not even an $18k car. $16-17k would be more accurate for the missing parts and miles on the car.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:40 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Oh and that brake fluid looks like poop. That needs to be changed.
Old 11-30-2015, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you passed on it, and good eye Manga on the fluid.

The OEM hardtop is worth it if you can find one in good shape with the OEM hardware for the neighborhood of around the $3,000 range. Just realize the top itself, if kept in the same condition, will more than likely not depreciate. If anything, the opposite.

Having no soft top is definitely a deal breaker though too. Without a steep discount to pay for a new one. For $22,000, the car should be in very good shape, all original, and with the OEM hardtop and soft top.

Quick Reply: Seeking advice on this potential buy